Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691405 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7530 on: July 11, 2021, 07:15:11 am »

I'd go so far as to say they don't look like compression artefacts, they are compression artefacts.

I wouldn't notice if you didn't tell me and I didn't have both to compare, but a lot of places that are supposed to have delicate transitions show the compression. Edges of the magenta and some of the green petals are where it seems to show up most.

I'm kind of a colour nut though so...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: July 11, 2021, 07:38:33 am »

Oh and to be clear I can't tell any difference either, beside the joke ;)

edit: except when I zoom in. Is zoominning cheating?
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: July 11, 2021, 07:44:30 am »

I zoom in and still can’t find a difference

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: July 11, 2021, 08:16:45 am »

I'd go so far as to say they don't look like compression artefacts, they are compression artefacts.

I wouldn't notice if you didn't tell me and I didn't have both to compare, but a lot of places that are supposed to have delicate transitions show the compression. Edges of the magenta and some of the green petals are where it seems to show up most.

I'm kind of a colour nut though so...

Fun fact: JPEG (and most other lossy image formats) supports YUV 4:2:0 chroma subsampling! You're on the money. The loss in color resolution is more-or-less what you observe in such compressed images.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:21:45 am by methylatedspirit »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: July 11, 2021, 08:21:19 am »

I only stated splitting them up into individual YUV planes as against the rules, so I think it's fair enough.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: July 11, 2021, 08:22:07 am »

What is image compressing? Is that making an image smaller then making it back to the size it was before?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: July 11, 2021, 08:36:41 am »

What is image compressing? Is that making an image smaller then making it back to the size it was before?

That's lossless image compression. You take an image, and you basically run ZIP compression (but more specialized towards images, obviously) on them so that you can compress and decompress the image without any loss in quality. While larger than lossy, it encodes images at the original quality. PNG, for instance, is lossless.

Lossy image compression is about taking an image and basically considering what details you can throw away so that it's (hopefully) imperceptible to the human eye. This allows you to decrease the file size of an image further than if you went lossless. However, in the process of doing this, you will introduce a degradation in quality. If you iterate it too many times, that's how you end up with those "deep fried" memes or XKCD 1683, a process known as digital generation loss. JPEG is like this.

Some newer formats are able to be both lossy and lossless depending on what settings it was encoded with. WebP and AVIF do this.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: July 11, 2021, 09:28:11 am »

I zoom in and still can’t find a difference

To be precise, what I did was open them both in new tabs, zoom in 300%, then switch between the tabs. After that I can notice the difference between the two when zoomed in here on bay12 too but it wasn't big enough a difference to be noticeable zoomed in side-by-side before, I needed that "flip between what's changed" effect from switching between the tabs to notice it.
Love, scriver~

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: July 11, 2021, 05:22:18 pm »

Took me a minute. Blue inner leafs of the right flower got messed up, but other than that I can't see much wrong here without having zoomed or anything else. Very nice for compression indeed.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: July 13, 2021, 10:16:14 am »

How do you stop your eyes from reactively forcing themselves shut when you're tying to put in contacts?

I'd like to be able to get some, but the consultation went down the drain because even while holding them open with my fingers my eyes would do absolutely everything in their power to close, which made inserting contacts impossible. The best advice Google's given me was literally "Put them in" which is completely fucking useless.

It's not that I can't touch my eye, I can, I can hold my eye open and poke myself in the eye gently, there just seems to be something about putting an actual object in that buggers me over.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: July 13, 2021, 10:24:51 am »

Train by keeping your eyes open while  you throw water at your face maybe? Idk I don't have glasses but I often catch littlebits and specs with my eyes and I'm getting better at touching the white eventhough I hate it
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: July 13, 2021, 11:14:46 am »

Eventually you can defeat the blink reflex, you can train yourself to stop any flinch reflex after a while.  It does take a while though.

I usually roll my eyes up, and hold my lower eyelid down with a finger, to put in contacts.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: July 13, 2021, 11:43:59 am »

This is a question that I realized could be posed to y'all when I posted a visualization of YUV 4:2:0 chroma subsampling on a Discord server. They did not like the fact that they couldn't tell the difference between a full-resolution image and a 4:2:0 subsampled image.

So, Bay12, can you tell the difference between these two images without splitting them into their Y, U, and V components? One is the original, the other is the YUV 4:2:0 subsampled version.

Nope. They both look the same to me, though I have bad eyesight and can on.y see from one eye, so I’m an outlier

To me, the one on the right has a slightly more vivid cyan component, along with a slightly subdued magenta component, compared to the one on the left.
I would guess that the one on the right is the subsampled one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:45:40 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: July 16, 2021, 05:49:50 pm »

Is there a specific term for phrases like "have fun!" or "good luck!", where it's used to say goodbye to someone leaving for an activity? It's at least a parting phrase, but I need to know if there's a specific subcategory for it.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: July 16, 2021, 06:40:30 pm »

I think "parting words" is closest. In some contexts "a farewell" or "a goodbye" could be used to refer to such phrases, but that's not very colloquially unambiguous.

Edit: Technically that is what "valediction" means but I've not heard that used that way.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 06:45:46 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 638