Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691271 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8565 on: September 18, 2022, 09:10:46 am »

Who here would be interested in a thread (in Creative Projects) about my mostly-hard-SF worldbuild?

Here it is.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: September 18, 2022, 02:53:12 pm »

Is the Earth slowly getting more land?

I'm asking because the Earth used to have basically nothing, way back ye olde days (ie a few billion years ago) so I'm wondering if the landmasses are steadily expanding or if they've reached an equilibrium.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: September 18, 2022, 02:58:59 pm »

What?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: September 18, 2022, 03:05:13 pm »

It... outside of space dust or whatever and asteroids I don't think we're getting more material from somewhere? Geographic features are changing for all sorts of reasons, though, even if you ignore warming and rising waters. Volcanoes erupt, sinkholes happen, so on and so forth. Some places sink under the waves, other places dry up. Mostly it's slow as hell though, without encouragement global scale geologic change doesn't generally happen in the scale of human lifetime.

Anyway, dunno if it's changed more recently, but a quick eyeball suggests at least one study back in 2016 that had found the world had gained net landmass (surface stuff above water) to the tune of about 1 lake michigan since the 80s, which on the scale of the earth is pretty peanuts (like 1/8750th or something). So maybe some, during a certain period of time? If we actually start gaining it at rates we'd have reason to care about, we'd probably notice real easy, heh.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 03:07:21 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: September 18, 2022, 05:25:35 pm »

Scandinavia is still rising out of the Baltic Sea from not being weighted down by a huge glacier since the end of the latest ice age, slowly but steadily
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: September 18, 2022, 05:46:57 pm »

Yeah, certain areas were compressed by glacier that we have melted. Alaska will become higher, and some land will no longer be under sea. On the opposite, much of the areas near the equator will be sunk and lose land to the sea.

I think we'll see 'more land' over the next century or so, but mostly in the form of evaporated lakes, etc.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: September 18, 2022, 08:10:25 pm »

What?
Landmass. The first supercontinent was the size of Greenland roughly, from what I recall. It counts as a supercontinent because it contained the majority of the planet's dry surface, which is the criteria rather than size.

I was wondering if it's at 30% because it's steadily growing and reached 30% of the world's surface area, or if it's at 30% because that's some natural plate-tectonic-and-ocean induced equilibrium point.

This isn't insane ramblings, it's just something that popped into my head.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: September 18, 2022, 08:18:47 pm »

Yeah, certain areas were compressed by glacier that we have melted. Alaska will become higher, and some land will no longer be under sea. On the opposite, much of the areas near the equator will be sunk and lose land to the sea.

I think we'll see 'more land' over the next century or so, but mostly in the form of evaporated lakes, etc.

Possibly balanced out by rising sea levels from melted polar ice caps.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: September 20, 2022, 12:19:21 pm »

Question:
What pc games would you recommend for a six year old? Reading, or even spoken instructions, is out of the question. Everything during the gameplay has to be purely visual.
All I can think of that I have in my library is Super Meat Boy or Luftrausers. But they both seem too hard by design.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: September 20, 2022, 12:30:27 pm »

I feel like a fairly wide range of games could work, depending on the level of adult assistance. Maybe try games which use a gamepad so that on screen instructions are easier to follow and there's fewer buttons to try.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: September 20, 2022, 12:32:30 pm »

Any concrete suggestions? Preferably based on some practical evidence with young kids.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: September 20, 2022, 01:39:25 pm »

ghk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:14:39 pm by dragdeler »
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: September 20, 2022, 05:16:00 pm »

Question:
What pc games would you recommend for a six year old? Reading, or even spoken instructions, is out of the question. Everything during the gameplay has to be purely visual.
All I can think of that I have in my library is Super Meat Boy or Luftrausers. But they both seem too hard by design.

I think you might be seriously underestimating six-year olds in general.  I was reading like a boss at six.

But I assume you know your target audience.

Moon Hunters by Kitfox Games has so little relevant written text, and so much pure intuitive button mashing et all that it should work.
Hm, maybe I'll boot it up, now that I'm thinking about it...

Shattered Planet, also by Kitfox, has some written stuff, but you can just click on items and squares for a good while, if you don't mind dying.  I mean, those of us that can actually read and understand still die plenty, as that is the only way most playthroughs end.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: September 20, 2022, 08:01:53 pm »

Question:

Puttputt, Bomberman, Tetris, Mario.

They aren't PC games generally, ... yaharr.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:54:18 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: September 20, 2022, 08:51:02 pm »

You must train your young relative from birth to be a competitive Tetris player.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 638