Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find any iron  (Read 2110 times)

Jerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noahvale.livejournal.com
Can't find any iron
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »

I've seen this mentioned in other threads, but I'm having the same problem now.    I've tried 'advanced' world building as well as the new basic one.  Large worlds, and doing embark sites that list Deep Metals and Shallow Metals, as well as Flux, but no iron!   Is this a bug?  Something I'm doing wrong?

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find any iron
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »

Well without knowing the specifics of the changes you made to the world gen, the easiest thing i can tell you is to pick up a program like DFHack (listed in the mods section, easy to install).  It allows you to prospect sites before you embark and is fairly accurate as far as telling you what you should see when you embark.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:28 pm »

You can use DFhack to see what ores are present before embarking.  If you don't want to use that though, I suggest looking for multiple shallow metals.  Decent chance of having magnetite with a few platinum veins.  It'll need to be a sedimentary layer too, so avoid volcanic areas. 

Jerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noahvale.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:11:01 pm »

I use dfhack, but I didn't know it had functions that I could use at the embark screen.  I'll dig around in it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:29:22 pm »

I use dfhack, but I didn't know it had functions that I could use at the embark screen.  I'll dig around in it!
The command you are looking for is "prospect all". Just use it at the site select screen and it will give you rough estimates of the various amounts of metals.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:39:18 pm »

Note that it only randomly prospects one of the tiles in the selected biome.  Which may or may not be representative of the biome as a whole.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »

I've had a similar problem, honestly I just try, try and try again. Just started a new fort, I am hopeful, but so far all I've found is Nickle and (Somehow) Native silver in schist. According to the wiki native silver in schist is not possible, but hey, I'm not complaining.

And before you all say DF hack I am playing completely vanilla.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:19 pm »

What biom type(s) are you embarking in?  What mineral scarcity level are you running world gen at?

If you are using Basic World Gen, and setting Minerals to "Everywhere" then this is expected behavior due to how it currently generates veins and clusters.  Try using "Frequent" instead for better results (and more actual metals).

If you aren't already, try embarking in an area with sedimentary rock, as that has a much higher chance of including iron.  I regularly find hematite, limonite and magnetite when embarking on rivers and half hills/half forest, or all forest.  You tend to get more aquifers this way, but I've found you usually get iron with aquifers.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:11:49 pm »

I've had a similar problem, honestly I just try, try and try again. Just started a new fort, I am hopeful, but so far all I've found is Nickle and (Somehow) Native silver in schist. According to the wiki native silver in schist is not possible, but hey, I'm not complaining.

And before you all say DF hack I am playing completely vanilla.
so no therapist either?

What biom type(s) are you embarking in?  What mineral scarcity level are you running world gen at?

If you are using Basic World Gen, and setting Minerals to "Everywhere" then this is expected behavior due to how it currently generates veins and clusters.  Try using "Frequent" instead for better results (and more actual metals).

If you aren't already, try embarking in an area with sedimentary rock, as that has a much higher chance of including iron.  I regularly find hematite, limonite and magnetite when embarking on rivers and half hills/half forest, or all forest.  You tend to get more aquifers this way, but I've found you usually get iron with aquifers.

1: advanced world gen, so no "frequent" or "everywhere
2: Quietust has debunked it, many others have, how much more does it take: mineral scarcity has no effect on layer forming as minerals are put in AFTER the layers have been generated. The only thing that has a problem with this is the site finder.

many sedimentary areas have aquifers. The combination of aquifer and iron is therefore not that strange
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »

1: advanced world gen, so no "frequent" or "everywhere
So make sure the number is something reasonable, and not 1 or 0. *shrug*

2: Quietust has debunked it, many others have, how much more does it take: mineral scarcity has no effect on layer forming as minerals are put in AFTER the layers have been generated. The only thing that has a problem with this is the site finder.
But metals are either veins or clusters, as are the non-metal veins and clusters.  I haven't seen the debunking that shows non-metal veins and clusters are not more frequent with lower scarcity, and thus over-writing previously populated metal veins/clusters.  I'm not saying you (or they) are wrong, just that I haven't seen this !!science!! you speak of.  I just know that just about every person that has posted on the forums complaining about "where are the metals?!" have used the Basic World Gen, and set Minerals to "Everywhere", while those of us that use "Frequent" are typically swimming in metals.  They aren't always useful metals, but there are quite a bit of them regardless.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »

I don't recall seeing a large number of people with 'Everywhere' mineral settings complaining about lack of metals. It's usually lack of flux that's the complaint.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.