Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130247 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #225 on: August 08, 2012, 08:36:45 pm »

One recurrent problem that I have in action movies (and The Dark Knight Rises was guilty of it):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And when they do use a timebomb, they don't treat it as one. (Ie, the closer the clock gets to zero, the longer it takes to tick.)
That's just the Cinematic Temporal Distortion Effect kicking in. As the intensity of a situation rises, more and more things become free actions. If you had a time bomb large enough to destroy the Milky Way, people could complete research into a functional, fully documented Unified Field Theory in the space between one second and another.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 08, 2012, 10:02:28 pm »

Honestly that aspect of Assassins Creed was so stupid that I just imagined that the machine was actually a time reader that needed a DNA match to work.

I was willing to go with it to a point, but the whole "synchronization" stuff really made me wonder. Since taking damage of any kind reduces synchronization, that would imply Altair/Ezio were never, ever injured.

He gets injured in cutscenes all the time. Synchronization lets them get away with "oh wait, I just got whacked in the head seven times by a huge axe wielded by a huge(r) badaxe. Lost a few synchronization there!"

A lot of the time Altair didn't actually fight as many people as you did, a lot of scenes involve Altair actually killing his targets completely alone and isolated. Getting slashed and injured at random points is a huge shift impossibility.

The fact that you arn't dead after a single slash is also why the synchronization lowers. The fact that this is based on his genetic memories is also why you can survive any fall so long as there is hay under it or why the travel distances between cities is just a few miles. I thought it was somewhat clever in that it masks obvious game elements as elements of the simulation instead.

The "True adventures of Altair" would probably be quite boring.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:59 am »

One recurrent problem that I have in action movies (and The Dark Knight Rises was guilty of it):

And when they do use a timebomb, they don't treat it as one. (Ie, the closer the clock gets to zero, the longer it takes to tick.)

Personally, I understood that

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2012, 02:15:41 am »

Honestly that aspect of Assassins Creed was so stupid that I just imagined that the machine was actually a time reader that needed a DNA match to work.

I was willing to go with it to a point, but the whole "synchronization" stuff really made me wonder. Since taking damage of any kind reduces synchronization, that would imply Altair/Ezio were never, ever injured.

He gets injured in cutscenes all the time. Synchronization lets them get away with "oh wait, I just got whacked in the head seven times by a huge axe wielded by a huge(r) badaxe. Lost a few synchronization there!"

A lot of the time Altair didn't actually fight as many people as you did, a lot of scenes involve Altair actually killing his targets completely alone and isolated. Getting slashed and injured at random points is a huge shift impossibility.

The fact that you arn't dead after a single slash is also why the synchronization lowers. The fact that this is based on his genetic memories is also why you can survive any fall so long as there is hay under it or why the travel distances between cities is just a few miles. I thought it was somewhat clever in that it masks obvious game elements as elements of the simulation instead.

The "True adventures of Altair" would probably be quite boring.

Damascus to Acre

That would take, by a lightning fast 40 mph videogame horse, substantially more than an hour. Of just holding a key or a joystick.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2012, 03:38:09 am »

I can't find the quote but I swear the Wachowski brothers promised they'd not do [Matrixes, all the way out] and that they thought it would be cheap.
If that's the case, they must have a) originally considered it and written it into the script, and b) forgotten to take all the heavy hints out.  (How else do you explain the end of the.. 2nd...? film with the squid-stopping hand-wave, and then in the third the blindness that isn't..?  To mention just the most obvious two moments, out of several.)  Does TVTropes's have a term equivalent to Chekhov's Replica Firearm/Pacifist Gunsmith?  Whatever you might call them, the films got loads of those...  And none of them even make sense as properly integrated plot-misdirections and red-herrings for the discerning mystery solver to pile through and later see to be 'perfectly honest misconceptions', given the selective view the audience happened to be being given.  They just seem to be thrown in there like an anti-McGuffin that has a lot of apparent significance but means nothing to the plot-drive...

No, I think they were going to do this, and then at a party they attended shortly before it Matrix 3 was wrapped up they got some (possibly) obnoxious so-and-so come up to them and say "I bet I know what it's all about...<insert above idea here>" and they went "oh, nononono...  it's completely not that... you'll be surprised...  erm... no... I couldn't tell you what the denouement is... no, honestly, I couldn't... excuse me, just got to go to the editing suite, there's something I forgot to do...  just a bit of polishing, don't you know... and an emergency script meeting I'd completely forgotten about...".
All my searches are turning up blacks so maybe they never said that. I had completely forgotten the other pointers and had thought Neo stopping the sentinel was just something they decided to put in to keep people guessing afterwards. I still don't like the nested matrix idea but it does fit the facts well enough. It does raise the question of why people in Zion don't still feel out of place. I suppose the whole thing is succeeding in keeping people under the thumb of the machines but rendering everything that happened in the films meaningless is a poor plot twist.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2012, 07:03:04 am »

I'm not denying that a "woke up, and it was all a dream" event, sort of Dallas-style, could be a bad plot development, but there are ways to make it interesting.  As a certain more recent film[2] may well have proven.

{1} It's not as spoilering as "He's been dead all along", and it's not as obvious as "the ship sinks", in the grand scheme of movie
spoilers, but it might be along the lines of "they all murdered him!"...

[2] That I'm not sure whether I should even mention the name of, given the spoiler-potential, but you'll probably know which one I mean.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2012, 09:26:15 am »

I'm not denying that a "woke up, and it was all a dream" event, sort of Dallas-style, could be a bad plot development, but there are ways to make it interesting.  As a certain more recent film[2] may well have proven.

{1} It's not as spoilering as "He's been dead all along", and it's not as obvious as "the ship sinks", in the grand scheme of movie

[2] That I'm not sure whether I should even mention the name of, given the spoiler-potential, but you'll probably know which one I mean.
Oh, hello, a Simulist! Nice to meet you.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2012, 10:27:20 am »

Spoiler: Avengers (click to show/hide)
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:42 am »

The instruction was probably "do this for me, to the best of your ability and using all your knowledge and experience"...  The target really had no reason not to include that aspect, which would have been SOP and engrained.  As I read it.

Or the 'commanding' was spread a bit thin, by that stage.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 09, 2012, 11:20:54 am »

For Avengers a lot can be fankwanked away.

This (spoiler heavy) review by Loki is a good example. It even removes reduces the inconsistencies with Norse mythology.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:37 pm »

I'll read that later, sounds interesting but I'm only back for a moment (having been dragged away too quickly to add the following to my prior message, and only back in the vicinity for few more...), to say that I'd forgotten a bone of contention with AA.  How does "Banner attitude" just prior to the final battle remain consistent with his general attitude aboard the carrier, IYSWIM without me spoilering.  Does that mean he meant to cause all those problems, then?  Or was he just not bothered, for some reason?

(Probably too vague, but also too rushed and would rather be too vague than too informative.)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #236 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:39 pm »

Read some Cracked, and came across a topic based on this one:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19920_6-movie-heroes-saved-by-gaping-plot-holes.html

Here's my response about Back to the Future 2, and how the hell Biff Tannen returned to the future after altering the past. Trust me, I put some time into this, and I gotta pat myself on the back for this.

In case is gets buried under annoying comments and time, here it is:

Do you think I filled that plothole?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:16:20 pm by Itnetlolor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

Did you need more then three paragraphs to explain it?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2012, 04:23:30 pm »

I'll admit it's an interesting idea and one I enjoyed reading and arguing about when I was studying philosophy. You've convinced me in that those who have escaped have little reason to doubt. I know what film you are talking about despite having not seen it; Had it spoiled by people who didn't like the ending no less. I wonder how they might have worked it into the story. Would Neo of escaped the higher matrix and how? A friend of mine thinks it should have ended with all the humans being woken up to a world the machines had fixed, an Eden.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2012, 04:25:05 pm »

Did you need more then three paragraphs to explain it?
Well, I did have to reference parts of the movie as I explain it. Can you summarize it better?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 88