Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130329 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2013, 04:47:22 pm »

I'm in the "it's just another layer out" camp, but...

"Glorified mining machines"?  As far as I can tell, the Squids aren't particularly mining-enabled.  That big boring thing (as opposed the bearded boring thing, some might say ;)) was quite the innovation, indeed, but the squids are the standard do-everything form.  The main computer has no imagination, and there's not even any T800 infiltrator units.  It's just a basic massed-ranks charge by loads of expendable generic units.

Of course, that's also a tactic employed by game AIs, along with the "End Of Level Boss" that also needs to be defeated.  But an actual AI could be just as 'brute-forcey'.  I don't know.  I've not encountered that many apparently malevolent AIes IRL yet.  I probably just haven't advanced my skills enough to trigger the necessary plot-events, though. ;)

That's because the Matrix invasion is this.

I don't know why nobody has reskinned that with a Matrix theme...

EDIT: thinking about the "2nd layer" theory, I have come with my own theory: all the "humans" in the Matrix are just another kind of AI, they just live in the 2nd layer, but the TRUE real world that's outside of the computer, they're all just bits of programming residing inside this arcade machine.

It explains everything.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:53:02 pm by Sergius »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 21, 2013, 08:12:27 am »

It's a book, but Murphy in the Dresden Files is so far striking me as irratatingly stupid, despite being contanstly guiltily agreed with by Harry, and it's the second book. It's goddamn magic. He's a bloody wizard. You're not going to be told everything. Neither is a setup exactly fucking impossible.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 21, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

May i request this is extended to books? That could be fun  :P.
Reading a thinner book

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:50 am »

May i request this is extended to books? That could be fun  :P.
I would agree with this. Better to broaden the scope than to have the thread kinda die.

Anyway, here's a bit about Darlah, which, supposedly is a science fiction novel. I think the translator had something to do with the idiotness, because the wikipedia synopsis doesn't match perfectly(especially the ending) with what I've read.

Spoiler: Might contain spoilers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:24:44 pm by 10ebbor10 »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 21, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »

The US military plan to blow up the moon estimates around 30 trillion megatons.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 21, 2013, 12:25:48 pm »

Source?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 21, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »

Honestly Darluh is sounding like a pretty funny movie/novel. I mean the sheer uttar rediculousness of it and the lengths it will go to legitimise things is hillarious!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:00 pm »

Honestly Darluh is sounding like a pretty funny movie/novel. I mean the sheer uttar rediculousness of it and the lengths it will go to legitimise things is hillarious!
It legitimates stuff?
As far as I've read, the only way it legitimates things is adding even more ridiculous things so that the main plot points seem to make sense in comparison.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 21, 2013, 12:38:33 pm »

It legitimates stuff?
As far as I've read, the only way it legitimates things is adding even more ridiculous things so that the main plot points seem to make sense in comparison.

So it even spirals into a whirlpool of insanity!?! It still sounds pretty funny. It keeps trying to explain things but making less sense.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 21, 2013, 12:47:49 pm »

Wait, how did the dopplegangers come to be anyways?

And how is wasting money on sending teengares to the moon increase funding?

There's stupid, then there's crazy stupid, by the description this book surpassess those two by a longshot.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 21, 2013, 01:13:10 pm »

Never explained, nor even hinted at. Oh, and btw, the moon doppelgangers aren't the only ones. There are also some earthly doppelgangers, but those are apparently friendly(and not mentioned much except for the intro thingy.

As for fund raising, they are doing it the same way the Mars One guys were planning it. Try to make money of the press conference.

It's not a bad book perse, but it would have been improved a lot if the writer had just dropped the entire moon thingy. Really, it was nice till they launched towards the moon, and from that point on you were just waiting for the astronauts to be murdered. Because bloody hell they were bad at their job. (Another nice thingy, the only weapon on the mission was a single old sixshot revolver, given to the only astronaut they had bothered to brief about the dangers.)

Edit:
Spoiler: Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit 2: I also haven't mentioned any of the completely strange stuff. (Ie, where the book doesn't even attempt to justifify). Or really, most of the science erros.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:20:50 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 21, 2013, 04:31:42 pm »

It's a nitpick that may be addressed, but i hope the whole one team of superheroes defeating aliens thing is dealt with. It can be argued that the immortals are also earthlings, and they're dealing with descendants, but they're still far older then we are. To be honest, the whole earth is the the centre of the multiverse thing in Marvel and DC feels a touch ridiculous.

Why does no one, ever, press the doctor as to why exactly the universe needs a race of mark 2 timelords? And if so, why let the earth be perpetually invaded? It's not exactly toughening humanity up in any way they couldn't be without needless deaths. I wouldn't expect the answer to the first one, but you'd think someone would have put two and two together by now?
Reading a thinner book

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 21, 2013, 04:46:55 pm »

The whole "Earth is at the center of the universe" in the DC is mostly a result of just the fact that most of the stories take place there. Otherwise earth tends to be considered rather insigificant all things considered.

As for Novel's second statement... I have no idea what he is talking about. The Doctor doesn't just destroy every race ever because he isn't that malicious.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 21, 2013, 04:48:07 pm »

It's a nitpick that may be addressed, but i hope the whole one team of superheroes defeating aliens thing is dealt with. It can be argued that the immortals are also earthlings, and they're dealing with descendants, but they're still far older then we are. To be honest, the whole earth is the the centre of the multiverse thing in Marvel and DC feels a touch ridiculous.

Why does no one, ever, press the doctor as to why exactly the universe needs a race of mark 2 timelords? And if so, why let the earth be perpetually invaded? It's not exactly toughening humanity up in any way they couldn't be without needless deaths. I wouldn't expect the answer to the first one, but you'd think someone would have put two and two together by now?

What series/ book/ movie?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 88