Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004344 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #990 on: August 25, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »

I use facebook and my cell phone to arrange times to meet my friends in real life.
Yes. This. Why is this bad to you people?!
It's bad when it becomes the exclusive medium of contact. No face to face, just facebook to facebook.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 25, 2012, 02:38:09 pm »

I prefer facebook to telephones, myself. 'Course, the "best" communication is face to face.

As far as being disconnected from each other when we think we're connecting, I'm pretty sure we already hit (and passed) rock bottom, when cell phones first became ubiquitous.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 25, 2012, 02:48:56 pm »

I use facebook and my cell phone to arrange times to meet my friends in real life.

It's bad when it becomes the exclusive medium of contact. No face to face, just facebook to facebook.

I'm pretty sure nerds who get on an internet forum to talk to people are more disconnected from real life conversation than teens that text a lot. Since, you know, the teens probably spend a lot of time talking at school, or going to the movies or whatever it is that teenagers do these days.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 25, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure nerds who get on an internet forum to talk to people are more disconnected from real life conversation than teens that text a lot. Since, you know, the teens probably spend a lot of time talking at school, or going to the movies or whatever it is that teenagers do these days.
At least forum discussions are constructive and meaningful...

* da_nang dives into neutron star bunker, soaked in flame retardant and covered in asbestos.
* da_nang is inflicted by mesothelioma and asbestosis!
* da_nang looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #994 on: August 25, 2012, 03:45:33 pm »

Facebook chat is also good for talking to your distant friends. I'm not hopping onto a £25, 4 hour train journey every time I want to talk to one of my friends from University or not-University (depending on my current location) but I do enjoy interacting with them, so Facebook or texts or the occasional Skype (because I haven't tried hard enough to convince them to use Google Hangouts) are pretty much the only solution :)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 25, 2012, 03:46:37 pm »

I'm a teenager, so there. MUTUAL EXCLUSIVITY
My wooden badge was delicious.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 25, 2012, 03:47:42 pm »

It's handy as hell to keep contact with friends abroad too. All those people you meet, but are too lazy to write e-mails or letters to. Facebook just make sure you don't loose contact. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 25, 2012, 03:47:53 pm »

+

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 25, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »

It's effects rather then Facebook and the like itself is bloody annoying for me. Sure, it's nice to be able to set up events and the like, but conversations are often stilted, bereft of the people you want to talk too and is simply not as good as talking face to face, which brings me to my next point: activity's. Being a teenager living in rural England means that i have little enough to do as it is, but if there's a downside to ease of communication it's that people go out, meet, explore and generally mess about together less, which probably due to overly high expectations is what i would like to be doing much of the time.

On an earlier note, out of curiosity how much faith in humanity do Bay Watchers actually have? Oooh, and give me examples.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 25, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

On an earlier note, out of curiosity how much faith in humanity do Bay Watchers actually have? Oooh, and give me examples.

On a scale of 1-100, I'm down to 1. Reading through reddit... has a negative impact.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1000 on: August 25, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »

It's handy as hell to keep contact with friends abroad too. All those people you meet, but are too lazy to write e-mails or letters to. Facebook just make sure you don't loose contact. :)
Whilst marketing all of your personal information.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1001 on: August 25, 2012, 04:08:30 pm »

I'm currently around -200, for various RL reasons.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 25, 2012, 04:12:37 pm »

My faith in humanitiy killed itself.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 25, 2012, 04:14:05 pm »

My faith in humanity is kinda un-un-un-un-undead. It keeps dieing and getting reanimated.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 25, 2012, 04:15:23 pm »

I'm one of those optimistic ones who things humanity as a whole is pretty awesome, but just needs to get over its asshole-ish behavior.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 510