Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004499 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1290 on: September 27, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »

It's easy to make blocks fit perfectly if you smear the gap with charcoal, place the block inside, remove the block again, and chisel off every part of the block that got black. Ancient Greeks did that AFAIK.

Also, he probably fails to understand that the Egyptians were better at chiseling than him.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 27, 2012, 03:14:49 pm »

It's easy to make blocks fit perfectly if you smear the gap with charcoal, place the block inside, remove the block again, and chisel off every part of the block that got black. Ancient Greeks did that AFAIK.

Also, he probably fails to understand that the Egyptians were better at chiseling than him.
Ancient egyptians were good at a lot of stuff. I mean, they could remove the brain without damaging the skull. (Not visibly anyway.) And Invented bread, and candy, and I believe even once did a succesfull brain operation.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 27, 2012, 03:15:53 pm »

Also, they were probably pretty fucking bored without an Internet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1293 on: September 27, 2012, 03:16:34 pm »

10th century B.C. then? That's goooooood. Though the main argument is the moving of the big rocks. Polyspastons are the trump cards I plan to pull out.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 27, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »

Well seeing as how they believed the only purpose of the brain was to produce mucus, and thoughts took place in the heart, I doubt the brain surgery thing.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 27, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

Unless he meant something like removing a brain for mummification.

Yanno, removing the rotting innards.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 27, 2012, 03:20:46 pm »

No, I think they threw the brain out. Maybe somebody had a bad runny nose. I seem to remember they devised a method for extracting the brain *through* the nose during the mummifcation process. Mostly by using a long iron hook. Kind of like a coat-hangar abortion for your head.
going to hell for that last comment

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 27, 2012, 03:21:40 pm »

Well seeing as how they believed the only purpose of the brain was to produce mucus, and thoughts took place in the heart, I doubt the brain surgery thing.
So that's why they pull it out through the nose.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 27, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

I believe the tale went as follows.

Important person is attacked by dog, dog bites important person in the head, fracturing the skull. The egyptian surgeon removes the pieces of the skull that got stuck inside the brain.

Then the patient somehow survived.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1299 on: September 27, 2012, 03:26:23 pm »

I believe the tale went as follows.

Important person is attacked by dog, dog bites important person in the head, fracturing the skull. The egyptian surgeon removes the pieces of the skull that got stuck inside the brain.

Then the patient somehow survived.
Isn't that just regular ol' surgery though?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 27, 2012, 03:27:10 pm »

They poked around in the brain. Don't now how they fixed the exposed bits though.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 27, 2012, 03:27:54 pm »

I'd hardly call that an achievement. That's like accidentally dropping a safe unto a robber, then claiming yourself to be a hero.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 27, 2012, 03:28:30 pm »

There was also a "budget" version of embalming where instead of removing the organs and placing them in canopic jars (which was time-consuming and took a lot of expertise to do right, and was therefore quite expensive. If you were only a mid-level functionary or minor priest, you went for option 2:

They sealed all your bodily orifices but one, poured you full to the brim with an embalming oil (which was also somewhat alkaline), and then sealed that last orifice and set you aside for a few days. After the oil and decomposition worked together to turn your insides into an organ smoothie, they'd open up one of the orifices and let it pour out. Kind of like a really, REALLY severe enema.  :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 27, 2012, 03:30:30 pm »

Also there's always the good ol' wrapping the body in linen and burying it in hot sand. That lasts long enough.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1304 on: September 27, 2012, 03:32:05 pm »

I'd hardly call that an achievement. That's like accidentally dropping a safe unto a robber, then claiming yourself to be a hero.
Well, it was the first step. Go all the way to Alexandria and you get stuff like the Hippocratic oath and the great library.
Then the dark ages happened.
:(
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 510