Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002007 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2970 on: November 09, 2012, 02:15:04 am »

If both stacks were to the left, how'd the employees know which ones to dump?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: November 09, 2012, 02:21:00 am »

Obvious typo, Darvi :P

And yeah, with places with extreme competition like that, employers sweep through the applications for the most trivial things. That happens in the USA too (though they generally sort first by experience, not which college you graduated from. That's next).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: November 09, 2012, 02:25:43 am »

Obvious typo, Darvi :P
Didn't notice that؟

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: November 09, 2012, 11:50:43 am »

A guy asked me why a conversation between three people wasn't called a trialogue.  I pointed out that the prefix Dia- does not mean "two."  After he continues on that line of thought and I point out again that the prefix here is Dia- and not Di-, he says:

Quote from: what
I'm referring to the Di, not the Dia. Carbon Dioxide does not mean Carbon through Oxygen.

what
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:56:01 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2974 on: November 09, 2012, 01:37:02 pm »

Yeah.

What?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: November 09, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »

I'm not sure whether he thought it was spelled "carbon diaxide" or "diologue".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: November 09, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »

I'm more wondering where the "through" came in.

A person telling an anecdote about his time at a big Korean online game company. It was job application time, and he went a big room and helped everyone spread out all the applications. There were 20,000 applications for 200 jobs. The team leader looked at the first page of each app and kicked one the the left, where employees collected them and threw them away, or the right, where they were stacked up for secondary evaluation and interviews. Shocked, he asked how he could make such a split second decision. The team leader replied that everyone not graduated from Seoul, Koryu, or Yonseo University went into the trash bin. That's like rejecting every job app where the job finder wasn't out of an Ivy League school. He considered nothing else, not even the major (for a programming job!). Gave not a damn for other things like experience, depth of study (master's? Bachelor's?), or willingness.

I wasn't sure if that should have been a rage, sad, or wtf. It's a stupid thing for companies to do, though, so...
I've heard that that's a major problem in South Korea (and one of the reasons for the insane level of competitiveness to get into those schools). The US has its own WTF regarding resume screenings. Often, they use computers and just scan for certain keywords. If you don't have them, PFFT...trash pile.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: November 09, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »

Yeah, when you consider the huge volume of Resumes. I mean, 20,000 to go through for only 200 jobs? It's natural that companies would find ways to automatically winnow through them so that the people only have to pay attention to a manageable subset.

Of course, how they do that is often questionable.

At least the Key Word searches will usually grab people with the right background. It might omit a few, but if you're looking for people who can do C++ you expect the majority of them to list that on their resume.

Seems better to me than taking people without a programming background over people with one just because of the college they graduated from.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »

A guy asked me why a conversation between three people wasn't called a trialogue.  I pointed out that the prefix Dia- does not mean "two."  After he continues on that line of thought and I point out again that the prefix here is Dia- and not Di-, he says:

Quote from: what
I'm referring to the Di, not the Dia. Carbon Dioxide does not mean Carbon through Oxygen.

what
What.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: November 09, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »

I'm more wondering where the "through" came in.

A person telling an anecdote about his time at a big Korean online game company. It was job application time, and he went a big room and helped everyone spread out all the applications. There were 20,000 applications for 200 jobs. The team leader looked at the first page of each app and kicked one the the left, where employees collected them and threw them away, or the right, where they were stacked up for secondary evaluation and interviews. Shocked, he asked how he could make such a split second decision. The team leader replied that everyone not graduated from Seoul, Koryu, or Yonseo University went into the trash bin. That's like rejecting every job app where the job finder wasn't out of an Ivy League school. He considered nothing else, not even the major (for a programming job!). Gave not a damn for other things like experience, depth of study (master's? Bachelor's?), or willingness.

I wasn't sure if that should have been a rage, sad, or wtf. It's a stupid thing for companies to do, though, so...
I've heard that that's a major problem in South Korea (and one of the reasons for the insane level of competitiveness to get into those schools). The US has its own WTF regarding resume screenings. Often, they use computers and just scan for certain keywords. If you don't have them, PFFT...trash pile.

I'm on my phone so I can't delete the extra, sorry.  The Dia prefix means "through," andthats what dialogue uses.
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: November 09, 2012, 04:19:33 pm »

I'd post my "The More You Know" afterschool-special logo gif, but img.ie.  :'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: November 09, 2012, 04:56:31 pm »

...I read 'leader thingymabob' as 'leather thingymabob'...

...I have issues, don't I?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: November 09, 2012, 06:13:30 pm »

...I read 'leader thingymabob' as 'leather thingymabob'...

...I have issues, don't I?

At least it wasn't "leather thingymathong." You're still slightly sane, then.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: November 09, 2012, 06:22:27 pm »

Breaking news: Chris Hansen is a leather thong.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: November 10, 2012, 12:48:32 am »

Speaking of leather thongs.  Don't worry, it's safe for work.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 510