Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?  (Read 38182 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2012, 01:22:47 am »

Musta been one hell of a well endowed dolphin...
Either that or it didn't come back 'till fall...

[/obscure_lyric_referance]
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:11 am »

So what would happen if someone managed to mutate dolphints into land-walking bipedal creatures with opposable thumbs?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2012, 11:04:09 am »

So what would happen if someone managed to mutate dolphints into land-walking bipedal creatures with opposable thumbs?
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't qualify as dolphins anymore.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2012, 11:35:18 am »

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't qualify as dolphins anymore.
Or you know, just a new family of dolphin species. Delicious, new dolphin species.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2012, 01:01:01 pm »

We would herd them like cattle. And everyone would eat dolphin all the time.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »

And what if they became sentinent and could comunicate with us?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2012, 04:56:55 pm »

We'd cover it up because dolphins are tasty.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2012, 05:49:05 pm »

*ahem* Mermaid thread *ahem*
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 12, 2012, 08:24:46 pm »

I'd like to say here that I'm extremely skeptical of the dolphin communication experiment listed earlier.  If it shows up in Nature or the like, call me.  Until then, I'm going to continue to think that dolphins are very smart, but not on a human level.

Sorry, but I don't understand how people can think being skeptical means hearing something and thinking to themselves "That idea doesn't fit my worldview, so I'll just assume it's wrong... not that I'm actually going to do any research or reasoning to back that up." People who, instead of looking at what information and evidence is out there and concluding what to believe based on that, would rather decide what's true based on weather it supports their existing beliefs. Such behavior is arrogant and dogmatic- a kind of willful ignorance that I absolutely cannot stand. It's antithetical to truth, to science, and to the essence of being a creature capable of reason.

Also, of course dolphins aren't smart on a human level... that's comparing apples to oranges. Can you say if Elephants are smart on a Pidgeon level? With their different physical adaptations and brains, there's no way to make a fair comparison; would you say Elephants are idiots compared to Pigeons, because can't even sense a magnetic field to navigate? Of course not.

Dolphins aren't on a Human level, they're on a Dolphin one. We don't know enough even about our own brain to know the capabilities of theirs, but we do know they have the ability to emit and see ultrasonic "images", and reproduce these images vocally to one another in a way wholly unlike the language and sensory capabilities of Humans. Whether these vocalizations have some form of syntax or can convey more abstract concepts has yet to be determined, but these capabilities and the ability to share and reproduce them with each other exists, as does the ability of humans to read and convey these sounds back to them, whether it's a comfortable idea for you or not.

Well, we know that Neanderthals had Religion, or at least we're fairly sure they did, and we're fairly sure that Dolphins don't, so we know that Dolphins must be either less intelligent or less curious than Neanderthals. Or they somehow know SCIENCE without any kind of lead-up.

Yeah, when we view evolution and the natural world, there's this old idea that there's a long chain of more and less evolved organisms, with amoebas and bacteria at the low end, and humans at the top... and this idea is all kinds of wrong. Now, humans are absolutely bitching, and we can do many things no other animal can do. However, we're just adapted for our environment and the pressures the world has put on us, as other animals are adapted for theirs. Every living thing is equally, but differently, evolved.

Also, we are far from sure that Neanderthals had anything like a religion. They did bury their dead, though. Some people claim that a pile of bear bones in a cave is evidence of "bear-worship", but aside from proximity to a Neanderthal dwelling, there's no reason to think they were responsible for it. I don't mean to say that the capacity for ritual behaviors is limited to humans, though... We've known since the 1950's that Elephants practice burial rituals, and close family members have even been known to go out of their way to visit the burial sites for years afterward. Also, during wildfires in West Africa, the leaders of grassland Chimpanzee troupes have been observed performing ritual dominance displays, which they direct at the wildfires before an audience, and have been known to harness and control fires as well. There's no biological purpose to the ritual, and it exposes them to significant risk, but it matches the displays they use to express their superiority to other Chimps, which makes the whole thing very interesting indeed.

Humans are awesome, but the capacity for learning, for abstract rituals, and even for verbal communication are not uniquely ours, and for us to continue to assume so is asinine. When considering this in light of Human intelligence, consider that if you dropped off a new generation of, say, American citizens into the deep jungle without teaching them anything of language, science, or the world, assuming they survived to adulthood they'd be little different than land-bound social apes. Technology and language aren't in our DNA, and what we like to think of as Human brilliance is really just the accumulated experiences passed down to us from our forebears, thanks to the invention of language.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 12, 2012, 10:40:09 pm »

Neanderthals practiced ritual burial and had what definitely seem to be altars, of which my sociology teacher had a picture. However, I can't find that picture on google, so...

Regardless, ceremonial burial suggests intellect close to ours. I didn't know elephants did that, but I knew they were pretty damn smart. As with Chimps, they're close enough to us genetically, that Badassery might have the same kind of meaning to them. Could be they're showing off. I already figured that chimps were almost at our level though; The experiments we've done show they don't quite have the brainpower for being "sentient" in the colloquial form of the word. Just a bit off.

I read somewhere that the biggest difference is that we have longer intestines to get more energy for our brains. It once again goes back to "we have the Sentient creature niche, but now we're smart enough to bring other creatures into it without too much issue." Dolphins would be more useful than monkeys, at least.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2012, 01:03:30 am »

That reminds me, I've heard references to a series of sci-fi novels in which the premise is that humans, with the help of sufficiently advanced aliens have "uplifted" various earth species including chimps and dolphins to be sentient. To the point that the dolphins have their own (space) navy seperate from the humans.

Nevermind, found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplift_Universe

I need to read these some time.

So I guess the question is not "can we win a war against uplifted dolphins?" but "will the uplifted dolphins and chimps be enough to save us from the aliens?"

I propose we also uplift Penguins because that would just be adorable.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:24:43 am by Nilik »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2012, 12:08:55 pm »

Nevermind, found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplift_Universe

I need to read these some time.
Likewise. But I feel like it'd be a bit odd for the humanity to be special/unique in such a way from the rest of the (fictional) universe, even if viewed negatively.
Because humanity is a bad mutha*Shut your mouth*

~I'm just talking about man~

THEN WE CAN DIG IT

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »

The concept of biological uplift is nothing new. Check out H. G. Wells's The Island of Doctor Moreau.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2012, 03:39:44 pm »

Rainbow Mars, despite its strangeness, deals with an uplifted dog who works as a sort of time cop, alongside the main character. It's pretty fun.

Uplift is a neat idea, but it's pretty anthropocentric. I'm hoping that we'll eventually be able to get over our big heads (pun intended), and realize how subjective the notion of our elevation over other life really is. Communication, personality, even culture... these are not the property of humans alone.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »

We need to get more egocentric first though and realize that all humans are fucking awesome and we should stop blowing them up.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19