Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Research: The Effect of Bolt Weight on Crossbow Performance  (Read 36016 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Research: The Effect of Bolt Weight on Crossbow Performance
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 04:23:48 pm »

Excellent work. Posting to watch.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 04:42:56 pm »

Out of curiosity, would materials modded to be ludicrously heavy or absurdly light have different results?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »

Assuming the current theory, as proposed by the OP, holds then denser materials will do more overall damage per hit.  e.g., slade bolts should do massive damage per hit, assuming the other variables are at least relatively close to those of iron.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 09:24:24 pm »

...In any case, first I'd like to identify all parameters which influence ranged damage. I suppose the next one is MAX_EDGE of the ammo used. Does anyone know of any other parameters likely to be used in damage calculations for ranged weapons? Apart from quality, which I believe cannot be changed in the object testing arena (Can it?).

I assume something other than MAX_EDGE is used, because all metals apart from adamantine (100000) have the same value for MAX_EDGE, 10000. (Wood and Bone have 1000). If MAX_EDGE and SOLID_DENSITY are the only two parameters affecting ranged damage, then Heavier is always better as far as metals goes (again, except for adamantine)....

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg1007133#msg1007133

Quote from: Toady One
Currently shear yield/fracture is used to determine edge effectiveness and the effectiveness of a material against a cut.  Impact yield/fracture is used to determine resistance against impacts.  Solid density will increase weight and therefore the impact of attacks.

Testing indicates SHEAR_YIELD acts like the Mohs scale of mineral hardness and determines what can cut what. I created a silver colossus and a copper colossus in the arena, and then tried having a dwarf grand master attack them repeatedly with copper and silver swords. The silver sword can dent the copper colossus, but the copper sword is deflected off the silver colossus. See also this bug report for a fix to obsidian swords, which can't cut as good as wood swords: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5346

I'd also suggest modding the test subjects to remove random body size variations:
Code: [Select]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
It appears that all arena creatures are created with average ability scores, but the height is still chosen from the random set. This was first noticed while sciencing butchering results.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »

Vindication. It is sweet.  :P
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 01:30:23 am »

...Thus it can be concluded that ammo weight is indeed used in some manner in ranged crossbow attacks, adding to armor penetration. This effect is practically unnoticeable on unarmored opponents, possibly due to the powerful parameters of the vanilla crossbow. If these parameters were weakened more data could be gathered. Other future works include testing the effects of sharpness, both sharpness and weight, testing default materials (instead of modified as opposed to modified ones), testing the effect of Marksdwarf, Archer, Shield skills, etc. etc.

For reference, the vanilla crossbow is so powerful, if you increase the contact area of the bolts from 2 to 40000 (battleaxe-sized), the bolts will chop off limbs and even decapitate/bisect creatures.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 02:22:04 am »

...Thus it can be concluded that ammo weight is indeed used in some manner in ranged crossbow attacks, adding to armor penetration. This effect is practically unnoticeable on unarmored opponents, possibly due to the powerful parameters of the vanilla crossbow. If these parameters were weakened more data could be gathered. Other future works include testing the effects of sharpness, both sharpness and weight, testing default materials (instead of modified as opposed to modified ones), testing the effect of Marksdwarf, Archer, Shield skills, etc. etc.

For reference, the vanilla crossbow is so powerful, if you increase the contact area of the bolts from 2 to 40000 (battleaxe-sized), the bolts will chop off limbs and even decapitate/bisect creatures.
On the other hand, if your launching battle-axes, why shouldn't they cut limbs?

Overall, absolutely Brilliant Science. the ultimate question of sharpness versus weight, how they relate, how does one compensate for the other, and ultimately, which is the superior metal, have yet to be answered. But when it does, I can only hope it looks as fancy as your study.
*applause*
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 02:35:46 am »

This seems to be the common sense, and at the expense of sounding stupid, I dont think 20 iron bolts to kill someone who is 3 meters away so much overpowered...

Edit: forgot to congratulate OP. Looking forward for more papers like this.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:34 am »

This seems to be the common sense, and at the expense of sounding stupid, I dont think 20 iron bolts to kill someone who is 3 meters away so much overpowered...

Edit: forgot to congratulate OP. Looking forward for more papers like this.
Refering to the way they often pucnh through armor. I apreciate it in general, but in adventure mode its a down-right killer.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 06:30:09 am »

Refering to the way they often pucnh through armor. I apreciate it in general, but in adventure mode its a down-right killer.
Meh. The bolts aren't what kill you, they just horribly incapacitate you. If you've got super dwarven willpower/endurance you can make it out there with a bolt sticking through your leg or something, otherwise you're going to die to a spearbold.

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 10:47:46 am »

Hey Zivilin,

someone on reddit, latexified your post - your research in shiny research doc format. :D - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2891221/DF%20study.pdf

Very... impressive O_o

Bones are very noticibly better than wood when it comes to bolt, I checked the raw and a lot of it's stats are much better than default, when it comes to everything other than mass ( I think MAX_EDGE is at default, so that too). My dwarves that uses bone for hunting takes down animals with fewer bolts and with far more peneration and tearing in combat log than with wooden bolts.

I think I'll add bone vs wood (same density) to my To Do list, out of curiosity. And this further confirms my suspicion that there are parameters other than MAX_EDGE/SOLID_DENSITY used in damage calculation.

Would love to see some iron vs. silver vs. copper numbers.

At some point I will definitely attempt to do a large ammo vs armor study on all major materials. For the moment I'm trying to refine my methods on some smaller projects. I'm getting a lot of good data and ideas from the feedback to this thread :)

...In any case, first I'd like to identify all parameters which influence ranged damage. I suppose the next one is MAX_EDGE of the ammo used. Does anyone know of any other parameters likely to be used in damage calculations for ranged weapons? Apart from quality, which I believe cannot be changed in the object testing arena (Can it?).

I assume something other than MAX_EDGE is used, because all metals apart from adamantine (100000) have the same value for MAX_EDGE, 10000. (Wood and Bone have 1000). If MAX_EDGE and SOLID_DENSITY are the only two parameters affecting ranged damage, then Heavier is always better as far as metals goes (again, except for adamantine)....

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg1007133#msg1007133

Quote from: Toady One
Currently shear yield/fracture is used to determine edge effectiveness and the effectiveness of a material against a cut.  Impact yield/fracture is used to determine resistance against impacts.  Solid density will increase weight and therefore the impact of attacks.

Testing indicates SHEAR_YIELD acts like the Mohs scale of mineral hardness and determines what can cut what. I created a silver colossus and a copper colossus in the arena, and then tried having a dwarf grand master attack them repeatedly with copper and silver swords. The silver sword can dent the copper colossus, but the copper sword is deflected off the silver colossus. See also this bug report for a fix to obsidian swords, which can't cut as good as wood swords: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5346

I'd also suggest modding the test subjects to remove random body size variations:
Code: [Select]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
It appears that all arena creatures are created with average ability scores, but the height is still chosen from the random set. This was first noticed while sciencing butchering results.

Like this! Thank You, for the interesting referred posts and suggestions, i'll definitely be using them. I suspected that the shear parameters could be somehow involved, now I have confirmation. I'll still test it, though.

True, I used 'overpowered' here based more on empirical observations from the game itself (i.e. losing significant amounts of armor-clad dwarfs to archers etc), rather than the results of the experiment. There is even a Broken Arrow which attempts to address this by lowering launch force on ranged weapons and decreasing ammo penetration.

Also, the criterion I chose (average number of bolts used to kill) may not be the best for judging weapon power. In fact, the parameter I wanted to use in the first place was something based on wound types. I still think this will be better for most comparative studies, especially with ammo vs armors scenarios: How many type A bolts pierced through type A armor? How many were deflected? How many type B bolts pierced through type A armor? How many were deflected? How many type C... etc etc. I suspect there is very little point to unarmored tests, because dwarf skin/muscle is not very good at stopping piercing attacks on its own (predictable, really). The number of bolts to kill is a criterion perhaps better suited to testing the Marksdwarf skill? Again, I do not know the battle mechanics, so I can only hypothesize, but I think it wouldn't be a stretch if Master Marksdwarfs hit critical shots (Head, organs) more often than Novice ones. This is certainly testable, in any case.
No signature

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 09:06:42 am »

First of all, great job Zivilin.

Secondly, if one wants to have more accurate criterion for bolt effectiveness, I could suggest analyzing gamelog.txt. Of course doing that by self would be tedious, but it'd the most accurate data if someone wrote a program that'd check on how many times key phrases (like bruising/tearing skin/fat/muscle, bruising/chipping/shattering/jamming bone/skull) are encountered by which bolt material they're preceded and by which armor they're followed. Unfortunately, I myself can't do it at the current moment.

Finally, I went ahead and conducted vanilla bolts test by op-post method. I've tested wooden, copper and adamantine bolts.
As everyone already knows, wooden bolts are crappy, 20 out of 50 iron armored peasants without shields survived,  the average bolt amount for the is 50,3. Metal bolts groups had no survivors copper scoring slightly better 12,1 against 12,6 for bluemetal.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

Also, the criterion I chose (average number of bolts used to kill) may not be the best for judging weapon power. In fact, the parameter I wanted to use in the first place was something based on wound types. I still think this will be better for most comparative studies, especially with ammo vs armors scenarios: How many type A bolts pierced through type A armor? How many were deflected? How many type B bolts pierced through type A armor? How many were deflected? How many type C... etc etc. I suspect there is very little point to unarmored tests, because dwarf skin/muscle is not very good at stopping piercing attacks on its own (predictable, really). The number of bolts to kill is a criterion perhaps better suited to testing the Marksdwarf skill?
You could use unarmored (and unclothed) dwarves as the ultimate control group for your bolt type versus armor type testing.  This could also give a bit more info on bolt type verses flesh and blood as well, which might be worth it for its own sake.

While typing this I thought of a more complex testing method that might provide in some better, or at least more interesting, results. Take your current setup, but have the target be webbed in place so he can't move.  I know for melee testing this would ensure headshots (and the need for helms on the target to test armor) but I'm not sure if that is the case for ranged attacks against the webbed target.

This is based on reports of (sometimes otherwise unarmoured) dwarves with helms being perpetually attacked by giant cave spiders while webbed because the spider cannot pierce the helm, but always attacks the head because the victim is incapacitated by the webbing.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »

While typing this I thought of a more complex testing method that might provide in some better, or at least more interesting, results. Take your current setup, but have the target be webbed in place so he can't move.  I know for melee testing this would ensure headshots (and the need for helms on the target to test armor) but I'm not sure if that is the case for ranged attacks against the webbed target.

This is based on reports of (sometimes otherwise unarmoured) dwarves with helms being perpetually attacked by giant cave spiders while webbed because the spider cannot pierce the helm, but always attacks the head because the victim is incapacitated by the webbing.

Logged in the To Do list :)

Secondly, if one wants to have more accurate criterion for bolt effectiveness, I could suggest analyzing gamelog.txt. Of course doing that by self would be tedious, but it'd the most accurate data if someone wrote a program that'd check on how many times key phrases (like bruising/tearing skin/fat/muscle, bruising/chipping/shattering/jamming bone/skull) are encountered by which bolt material they're preceded and by which armor they're followed. Unfortunately, I myself can't do it at the current moment.

I didn't know gamelogs were stored, thank You for the information! I'll brush up on my programming skills and see if I can properly utilise this treasure trove of data. :)

In the meantime, I used the tedious "Look through reports and note in Excel" to do a small test on the MAX_EDGE parameter. Since the amount of useful data gained is small, I will publish this as a short in this thread instead of a full article.

The Effect of the MAX_EDGE Parameter on Crossbow Performance

METHODOLOGY
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RESULTS

CONCLUSIONS

Specific conclusions: Iron bolts with increased MAX_EDGE parameter perform just as well as regular iron bolts against opponents clad in regular iron armor.

No general conclusions can be drawn.

As a bonus, here is how the only registered Bleed Out death happened:

No signature

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »

Perhaps iron already has a high enough max edge that raising it doesn't help. Have you tried lowering it significantly?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4