Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under attack!  (Read 891 times)

Gobolinno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Under attack!
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:38 pm »

Another time, me. (lol)

now I'm really under attack and I have two serious problems...

One, the dwarves don't want to wear their armor...

I went to the military window, created an uniform set, asigned it to the whole squad.
(everyone in the squad has a green icon next to the uniform name)
Went to the barracks and set them to train there.
Went to the alert window and set the unit to active/train

So you can guess they went to the armory and take their armors and weapons?...

No, I have some of the dwarves sleeping, another group drinking, another group training...

Good!, you can say, they are trai... ah no, they are training wrestling style... so all the weapons
(asigned also under the uniform window as before) as just decorations in the stockpile.

Ok, you can say, maybe I should have created a training ones so to them not to hurt each other... (?)

But... the armor?, or should I create some thing like "training armor" also? ¬¬'''

And now the good part, the squad is active (I checked about 10 times that and the fact that some
of them are training wrestling is a clue that they ARE active)

But I'm under attack, enemy at the central corridor, I moved all civilians to a burrow (which will be a trap
for everyone soon, you'll understand this part later)

And... what?.

Because with the enemy this close (and inside, damn bridge was too slow to close)
you can immagine an active military squad would engage him...

No way!, I "k" everyone and:

2 of them are drinking right next to the corridor.
1 of them is sleeping like a log
7 of them are in the barracks watching/leading training sessions...

all 10 of them are wearing no armor.
all 10 of them will be reducted to dust if the enemy gets closer (is a were-something, it already killed a dwarf that was
hunting outside at the moment of arrival and he directly cut him into pieces in just one stroke)

And the trap part, as I have everyone in one room and an useless active squad wearing no armor no weapons at all (despite the **** military window saying otherwise) all 51 dwarves will be killed as easy as click.

Anyone knows just what did I do wrong this time?. =/

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under attack!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:37:15 pm »

One, the dwarves don't want to wear their armor...

Ok.  First, go back to that screen.  Dump handwear\footware\armor\melee weapon.  Now hit: A.  Select mail shirt.  Repeat, select breastplate.  Hit: G.  Gauntlet.  Repeat.  B.  low\high boot, whatever you manufacture.  Do it twice.  Now hit: W.  Choose the specific type of weapon you want (AXES).

The generic uniform doesn't seem to work, you gotta manually add two gauntlets, two boots, and the breastplate and shirt.  This worked for me, provided there is ample gear.

Now find the button for "schedule."
The order screen is more complicated, but basically every month they have an order.  Edit one training order, and turn down the minimum required dwarves.  I choose two.

I also choose sleep in barracks at need, if I barracks the soldiers.

Now copy that order and paste it over all the other months.  Some dwarves WILL be sleeping, and some WILL be drinking while on duty-- they have needs that must be met or they will die.  I've had em sleep through a whole siege.

Good luck.

Gobolinno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 12:12:34 am »

Did that (actually, I tried that first, I used the "select specific armor" or something like that)
That's when I saw the problem they were not wearing the armors.

I tried on the other way because I read in the forum that worked... worked but not for me I guess. =/

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:22 am »

Wearing armors, it just takes them some time, a few weeks maybe up to two months or so, to get around to finding all their stuff.  How long has it been for your guys?

Regarding being "active," this doesn't mean they actively seek out foes to engage on their own.  You should give them a "kill" or "station" command to get them to the action, from the (s) menu.

Gobolinno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:12:26 am »

And just when I thought that the were-guy went away without killing anyone and gave me more
time for defense, an ambush!.

Report: 21 dwarves killed (33% of the whole population).

Including 7 soldiers (of course, they ended engaging the enemy without armor nor weapons despite being
just there, four blocks away).

Should I just start over again? (actually that would be the 4th fortress in that world (though 2 of them were reclaims of the first one)

On the other side, 3 killed. (2 goblin maceman, 1 goblin hammerman)

But somehow I think the enemy loses are more because some hunters came... because my army you know... they went pig to the slaughter.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »

Should I just start over again? (actually that would be the 4th fortress in that world (though 2 of them were reclaims of the first one)
You've suffered losses, but you still have your home land. You've driven off the enemy. You are still a fort of forty strong! You will rebuild the outer wall. You will harden your military. You will rekindle the flame that drives your industry! Are you a dwarf, or are you an elf? Never give up! Never surrender!

Or, at least, maybe you'll get to enjoy the !!fun!! of a tantrum spiral. :)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:27 pm »

you gotta manually add two gauntlets, two boots, and the breastplate and shirt.
You only need to add one gauntlet and one boot - the entry is interpreted as "one pair".
Also, you missed one very important step - change the "Wear over clothing" setting to "Replace clothing".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »

And just when I thought that the were-guy went away without killing anyone and gave me more

Including 7 soldiers (of course, they ended engaging the enemy without armor nor weapons despite being

But somehow I think the enemy loses are more because some hunters came... because my army you know... they went pig to the slaughter.

If you're still having fun keep going; if not quit or savescum -- Losing may be fun, unless it ISN'T

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

If you're still having fun keep going; if not quit or savescum -- Losing may be fun, unless it ISN'T

This advice was too user-friendly. As we all know, neither DF or b12f are meant to be friendly.
Thus, our DIG system has been activated (Dwarven Interaction Generator).

####THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN GENERATED BY ARMOK AUTO-REPLY SERVICE. PLEASE, TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION OR DIE IN A FIRE####

Don't abandon it. Your fortress is fully functional if you have 1 (one) or more safe, sound (not necessarily) and sane dorf. Armok reminds you that, despite being a hard deed at betimes, the knowledge and experienced attained from such act will be completely worth your while.

Should your population drop below the above number, please, abandon your current fortress and restart.

Thanks for using the Blood God services!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:29:56 pm by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:03 pm »

Also, you missed one very important step - change the "Wear over clothing" setting to "Replace clothing".

THIS

THIS, THIS, VERY MUCH THIS.

Plus "Exact matches" might help as well, I you do not wish to see your dwarf substituting steel high boots for leather low boots.
The down side of "Exact matches" is soldiers will get unhappy thoughts I you do not actually have any greaves/breastplates/whatever you want them to wear, since they'll go naked instead.

Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Gobolinno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »

Once I did those steps, they started to get naked (lol)...

... and yeah, the armors are still in the armor stockade. =/

The problem was (also!) that I deleted the burrow, closed the bridge and tried to live happily inside...

But miasma struck first.

Then, the ghosts of the dwarves killed in the ambush.

And to put the crown, (the cherry of the cake, as we say here) another bestial attack took over more
dwarfen lives once I opened the bridge again to get rid of the corpses.

I abandoned as it was impossible for a newbie to keep around...

I even tried to reclaim it, but dwarves spent 2 years just recopiling what was left (oh, and the ghost didn't went away)

I moved to a better location (bah, better for me)...

But I'm afraid of being again in the same boat.

When you guys ORDER a dwarf to PUT ON an armor... how much time do they usually spent to obey?

Here in this thread was months.

I can (in this fortress for now) wait for months... but isn't any other choice?
something like an emergency state that the soldiers must obey and equip the uniform NOW
and not when they choose to?. =(

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »

you gotta manually add two gauntlets, two boots, and the breastplate and shirt.
You only need to add one gauntlet and one boot - the entry is interpreted as "one pair".

Mostly true.  Gauntlets work fine in 34.11.  Boots, OTOH, I've had repeated issues where the uniform specifies a single boot entry, and the dwarves go around only wearing a single boot.  So you'll often have to specify the boot entry twice in the list to get dwarves to equip things properly.

(I scoffed that it was an actual bug when I first heard about it.  Then I found a lot of my dwarves wandering around with a single boot, even though we had lots and lots of extras of the right material/quality.)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »

Conversely, I stubbornly still only equip one "boots", and many of them do eventually manage to equip a pair.  So perhaps it helps motivate them to equip boots faster, but I think you don't *need* to set boots twice.