Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 238071 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a31) - DEATH ROW! and stuff
« Reply #1185 on: March 29, 2015, 07:59:09 pm »

Did any of you actually watch the patch video? The whole point is, executing someone in a prison is hard work. It costs millions IRL, and people on death row can sometimes spend years going through appeals before being executed. The point is, they want it to be hard to accurately reflect the situation in the real world. Did you seriously think that killing someone should be something that you can do with the flick of a switch? A human life is important, and as much as this is a game they also want to talk about real issues, and I'm glad that they are moving towards that. You guys can have your arcade murder mode, but I honestly am glad they took a serious stance towards a serious thing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 29, 2015, 10:02:12 pm »

It just seemed preachy. Make it detailed in the name of some level of realism, but I thought the speech was overboard.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 29, 2015, 10:56:12 pm »

They talk about the why's of new content EVERY SINGLE VIDEO. Where have you been for the past 2 years? Obviously not in prison or amongst the general populace of *insert any country here*.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:22 am »

They talk about the why's of new content EVERY SINGLE VIDEO. Where have you been for the past 2 years? Obviously not in prison or amongst the general populace of *insert any country here*.

What is that last part even supposed to mean?

They talk about their reasoning in every video, yes. They don't go on for 30 minutes about it and harp on the melodrama and "oh how human they were" between bouts of respectful silence. Did they do that when guards were walking around blasting rioters in the face with shotguns? No, I recall chuckles then. It's a simulation, say what it does, note some design decisions on why it works the way it does and move on.

As I said, I could have done without the melodrama and special, repeated notice about how people find the death penalty controversial and the drawn out roleplay of contriteness that "yes, our simulation just made a dude die." But do go on flipping out because I have an opinion you disagree with. Even though you're obviously not currently strapped to an electrical chair?!?1111
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:56:03 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 30, 2015, 03:41:18 am »

Welcome to Europe.  The way Europeans view certain topics isn't the same as it is in America.  No one is trying to convert you to an anti-capital-punishment viewpoint, you're just experiencing a cultural difference that you have not been previously exposed to.

Lets all move on?  No big deal.  Nothing to see.

I start a new prison with each new release, so I have not seen this feature in action yet.  My current theme is that of a Las Vegas Hotel.  I'm bringing in the low-sec first, they will be the cooking and cleaning staff.  Next will be the med-sec, whom will be the basic tenants or guests.

After that I'll start introducing high-sec, they'll be the entertainment.  I'm going for an MGM Grand thing here, with a boxing arena.  I'll give them open access to a high-sec workshop or cleaning closet to make sure they are all armed, and then let them go at it in their own yard.  I think the challenging part will be feeding them safely.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:46:35 am by puke »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 30, 2015, 05:26:27 am »

Welcome to Europe.  The way Europeans view certain topics isn't the same as it is in America.  No one is trying to convert you to an anti-capital-punishment viewpoint, you're just experiencing a cultural difference that you have not been previously exposed to.

I start a new prison with each new release, so I have not seen this feature in action yet.  My current theme is that of a Las Vegas Hotel.  I'm bringing in the low-sec first, they will be the cooking and cleaning staff.  Next will be the med-sec, whom will be the basic tenants or guests.

After that I'll start introducing high-sec, they'll be the entertainment.  I'm going for an MGM Grand thing here, with a boxing arena.  I'll give them open access to a high-sec workshop or cleaning closet to make sure they are all armed, and then let them go at it in their own yard.  I think the challenging part will be feeding them safely.

Believe it or not...not all Americans are close minded retards that don't know anything about other cultures...The point I am making is that I like to keep my politics and my games separate...even if it is a game around certain political issues.

Also not all Americans believe in capital punishment...so its not a strictly European view and it is not a "cultural difference we have not been exposed to" 18 of our 50 states don't even have the death penalty.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 30, 2015, 05:39:11 am »

edits:  whoops, I wasn't even replying to who I thought I was replying to.  moving along...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:15:13 am by puke »

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 30, 2015, 05:56:54 am »

We're okay with games where you personally slaughter hundreds of human beings, but not with death sentence.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 30, 2015, 07:33:11 am »

Did any of you actually watch the patch video? The whole point is, executing someone in a prison is hard work. It costs millions IRL, and people on death row can sometimes spend years going through appeals before being executed. The point is, they want it to be hard to accurately reflect the situation in the real world. Did you seriously think that killing someone should be something that you can do with the flick of a switch? A human life is important, and as much as this is a game they also want to talk about real issues, and I'm glad that they are moving towards that. You guys can have your arcade murder mode, but I honestly am glad they took a serious stance towards a serious thing.

Blowing a rioting prisoner's face off with a shotgun is technically not the death penalty and therefore totally fine to do as needed or desired.

I haven't watched the video yet but it seems a little tacky to get quiet and reverent about the death penalty in a game about building a shitty insane prison.  Adding in bureaucracy for challenge and cause it's more realistic is fine, being able to zap any prisoner you didn't like would be silly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:38:29 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:01 am »

I feel like the synopsis of this and several previous posts on this topic amounts to: to some people, multiple homicides in prison is fun/funny but killing a person via the death penalty isn't. I'm sure I'm biased by my culture and all that, but I can't help but feel that is an odd bit of cognitive dissonance, and one that it's fair to say that the game designers seem to have, as well, based on how they've approached topics in different videos.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:39 am »

I feel like the synopsis of this and several previous posts on this topic amounts to: to some people, multiple homicides in prison is fun/funny but killing a person via the death penalty isn't. I'm sure I'm biased by my culture and all that, but I can't help but feel that is an odd bit of cognitive dissonance, and one that it's fair to say that the game designers seem to have, as well, based on how they've approached topics in different videos.

I honestly think their motivation is they're just trying to head criticisms of the mechanics off at the pass, by appearing very squeamish about this thing they created. Personally, I think you're effectively courting the controversy by giving it this much screen time...and irritating people like me who don't really want a heavy dose of politics and social mores in my game, straight from the dev's mouth. PA is a game touching a lot of controversial topics and mechanics, and up until now I feel like Introversion has done a good job of staying above it. But in this video, they take on the topic directly in a way that makes me take them less seriously, because of the examples stated above. You can easily create a nightmare dystopia of a prison and some mechanics they added just make that easier. But they take the time to single out executions and act sad and grave when they're demoing it? Silly, and pandering, as far as I'm concerned. Who weeps for the millions of sims murdered by intentional starvation, manufactured prison riots and prisoners becoming dog food for your guard dogs? NO ONE. So why weep at all? It's a video game.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:27:48 am by nenjin »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 30, 2015, 01:10:06 pm »

It's a whole different issue...but I think anyone who connects simulated people with real people need to adjust their view on things. Video games only teach you how to kill people if you connect virtual people with real people (though many studies have shown that video games don't lead to violent people...probably because they recognize the difference)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 30, 2015, 01:17:59 pm »

It's a whole different issue...but I think anyone who connects simulated people with real people need to adjust their view on things. Video games only teach you how to kill people if you connect virtual people with real people (though many studies have shown that video games don't lead to violent people...probably because they recognize the difference)
Well, reckon there are already pre-existing problems if someone equates games = real life in the first place...
Though, it might be harder to tell the difference once they create the super awesome Virtual MMO, modern job simulator edition that everyone will be clocking in for after work/school.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:45 pm »

Were these complaints also levied at DF after mermaid bones were modified so that mermaid genocide machines were less profitable?

I don't understand all the vitriol about the devs being somber about something that is, to be honest, pretty damn serious and topical. It's not like the game has been negatively affected, so why harrumph over a few moments of silence/vigil in a dev video?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 30, 2015, 01:57:35 pm »

Gahd I want to respond to that so badly, but I'm just going to let it drop.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 107