Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Only 2 Ore Types  (Read 3517 times)

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
Re: Only 2 Ore Types
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »

I think once a player has learned some basics, getting a viable metal industry from imported goblinite and trade is quite viable (MASTERWORK FOOD IS GROSSLY OVERVALUED IN TRADE).
This. One Legendary cook will give you enough wealth to clear out an entire dwarven caravan with 6-10 Prepared Food Barrels, no sweat. It's great to recycle some of the wealth and keep your dwarves happy (buy all their food, turn it into lavish meals, sell excess meals to next caravan and buy all their food, etc.) but it makes the rest of the game boring if that's all you trade.

Regardless, you can get quite a bit of metal from buying things and melting all your excess. The stocks screen is your friend.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Only 2 Ore Types
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 09:21:38 pm »

Spend 300 points on turkeys. Butcher turkeys as fast as the skins can be tanned, but don't render the fat yet. Wait until the first migrant wave. Disable fat / tallow from the food stockpile(s). Order one of the migrants to Render Fat (R), Cook Lavish Meal (R), Cook Lavish Meal (R). The fat will be rendered into tallow and stay in the kitchen, where it will fuel the next two cooking jobs until the tallow runs out, at which point the cook will start work on the larger meat stacks.

By the end of the first year I had a Legendary+2 Cook, probably Legendary before even using up all the tallow (some extra came from the wagon animals and a couple of giant bugs). Setting the job order to make four biscuits instead of two roasts would have netted more XP, but this is enough.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]