Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 181274 times)

Digi_Lord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:38 pm »

Okay first off, I pretty much joined this forum so I could get some help with this mod. I am a complete an utter newb when it comes to DF but when I learned of this mod I couldn't help but download it to give it a shot. I mean a pony mod for DF, so much yes and awesome. Unfortunately as I already said I am a complete and utter newb when it comes to this game, so unfortunately I have no real idea how to install this thing. I have downloaded the file and extracted the whole thing into its own file after that however I am completely lost. I have tried reading up on how to mod the game but it doesn't really help me much to figure it out.

In all honesty its seems like this is something one is just expected to know how to do, so I hope I don't sound completely mentally challenged in asking for assistance. Also as a side note during the extraction process several message popped up saying certain files already existed within the file I was extracting it into. Since I didn't know why it was doing that I ended just telling it to keep all versions of the files and renaming them as needed. Knowing my luck I probably broke something doing this and will have to try and re download and extract everything all over again.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2013, 11:45:50 pm »

sounds to me like you accidentally unpacked it two or more times into the same folder, in which case, yes duplicating all the files by "keeping all" would definitely be a problem.

Digi_Lord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2013, 12:02:56 am »

So I guess that means I need to remove all the files and try to extract it again? I have no idea why the double extraction happened in the first place though.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 12, 2013, 01:08:37 am »

I keep trying to process the silk roses in the farmer's workshop but the game says I don't have anything to process. Even tried to process into a bag, barrel or vial but none of those three worked either. Somehow I /have/ gotten a few silk rose thread but I'm not sure how it was made to be honest and still have 7 more roses that need processing.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 12, 2013, 11:00:03 am »

It's probably throwing that error because the container holding the silk roses is in transit. Until it's back in the stockpile, the workshop can't see it. Maybe you should set up a small stockpile for silk roses next to a farmer's workshop and ban them from anywhere else?

Asssasin Asha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:57 pm »

Yes, that might be in-tranist issue. Try not growing them for a period of time, and then process. Then again, I was once stuck with a similar thing, because they put the plants in that frikkin barrel with normal food. An they kept using it up so it was in constant motion. Had to dump the plants and reclaim them for everything to work. Oh, well, that's just another day in Dwarf Fortress.
You could also try designating a stockpile for silk roses only and deactivating them in every other stockpile. That should work nicely.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:49 am »

Well I seem to be fine right now but I'm having trouble with the library. Doing normal studying is fine but I finally got enough tomes or whatever to do something so I set it to research the magic loom. However, the pony I assigned won't bother with it and just sits endlessly idle even though I have all their labors turned off.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 14, 2013, 02:18:06 am »

Some of the research x reactions require a specific skill. I think some of the buildings require Architecture, the cloth research requires Weaving, and the crystal stuff requires one of the Jewelry skills.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 14, 2013, 02:28:17 am »

Some of the research x reactions require a specific skill. I think some of the buildings require Architecture, the cloth research requires Weaving, and the crystal stuff requires one of the Jewelry skills.

You mean they need it enabled in their labors or they need to actually have skill levels in it?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:58 am »

Just need the labor enabled, should be.  That's what allows a reaction to be performed or not.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2013, 04:17:05 am »

Well that worked but now I can't seem to research the Crystal Forge even though I have embed gems and gem cutting toggled on the pony I'm using for it. Or is it one of the smithing labors?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:16 pm »

Just downloaded this a couple days ago, and I've been having a ton of fun!  I like the tools/challenge of building a wooden, above-ground fort, and the research requirement for most of the mod-specific builds is something far different than Vanilla.  I also have to say I really love the odd-sized buildings like apple trees/q control, the bigger-than-average weather factory and library, and the truly massive Rainbow Refractor I've just gotten around to building.

A few things to note...

1: The manual says 1x Cloud is condensed to 1x Heavy Cloud Block.  With the latest main download, this actually takes 2 clouds.  It also says 1x cloud dilutes to 1x Light cloud -- I haven't had a chance to see if this is accurate.

2: The Rainbow Color Extrapolator seems to consume any tool, rather than its proper blueprints to be built -- I could have selected a simple page.

3: This might be based on the graphic packs, but some of the likes on the thoughts screen seem a bit scrambled up...
Spoiler: like this (click to show/hide)

4: When ordering seeds from the outpost liasion, "Radishes" appeared twice.

5: I seem to be able to plant "Turnips", but the manual's got nothing to say about them.

6: This might be DF and not the mod, but Ponies don't seem to collect refuse, even if it's "inside" by virtue of there being a constructed floor a z-level above, despite me having a fine Refuse Pile.  Do I have to turn on "Gather refuse from the outside" to collect any above-ground?

7: Before I invest heavily in it, it would be nice to know how crystal items, specifically swords and armor, match up to their metal equivalents.  Are they equivalent to Iron?  Steel?  Or should I stick to conventional metals if I have the higher-end ones.

8: Clouds and Pages currently have quality.  Nopony's gone insane from having her awesome cloud harvested for seeds or page turned into a chapter, but it seems odd that this exists.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:02:59 pm by Tevish Szat »
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 14, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »

I was scouring the other pages looking for what might be the problem with not working on the loom research and remember seeing something about another poster mentioning the blueprint thing with the color extrapolator so it's likely the mod author didn't get it fixed before they disappeared.

Asssasin Asha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:36 pm »

As for number one. Probably an oversight in the manual, seeing as the reagent in the raws is even named "2 clouds". It actually makes sense to use two clouds. They need to be heavier than normal cloud.
Also one light cloud requires one cloud. Though if you ask me, it could be two. Meh, whatever, one still works.

Now, query number two.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There you have it!

Number three... I don't know. Sorry... I might go and look what the hay is that, but it doesn't look like simple stuff. Edit: Hmm... looks like cutie marks are treated as a color and there is a cutie mark named "a cheese wheel". It seems like game takes that color and puts it in the pony's likes. Like it would to any other normal color. Dunno if it's fixable. Seems like game mechanics. Not modifiable.

Four. A mistake in raws. One of those should be turnips. You can go to the plant_pony_new.txt in the raws, find this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and change the name in the seeds to turnip. Though if I understand correctly a world regen is required for it to work.

Five. Manual oversight? They are added and work, so I guess it's just that.

Six... Well, and I just deleted testing world with buildings... don't have time to check that. Though it might be DF. I noticed ponies being quite nonchalant about refuse. Sometimes they clean it immediately, sometimes it stays there for weeks. Though you might try ordering to gather outside refuse. Worth a shot.

Seven. According to the raws, crystal has exactly the same properties as steel. The only thing different is lack of the tokens that specify its use in creation of items, weapons and armor; though that's circumvented by reactions themselves being specific about the crystal.
Simply put, crystal is steel, just with another name.

Eight. Well... it seems the game just applies those modifiers as it wishes to. I don't think there is a way to stop it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:50:40 pm by Asssasin Asha »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2013, 04:57:08 pm »

Still not seeming able to get anywhere with the crystal forge research even after turning on furnace operation, the smithing labors, gem setting and gem cutting. :/
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 81