Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 181201 times)

Asssasin Asha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it does seem difficult. Even basing off of antmen it looks tricky as they don't seem to reproduce... which is weird. Or I am misreading tags.
I might try making some changes myself. Will report if I get anything.

Edit:
Yeah, misreading everything, apparently. It's a bit too late it seems. Gotta sleep... if you got some rough version of Changelings I might try making it work. Creating them from scratch is gonna take a while, so it won't be helpful for quite some time.
Night, Y'all!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:36:34 pm by Asssasin Asha »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Sooooo, I guess I'm not dead... whoo?

Work has been busy as usual and I've not really felt like more scripting when I got home so I haven't really been modding or playing DF in a couple of months.. Ran into an issue with the changelings which I'm not really sure how to solve, they just.. don't spawn in worldgen... tried copying the pony entity and placing the changelings in place of ponies and no go, I think it has something to do with their current breeding setup (only queens lay eggs, and she lays a lot) So I guess I need to work on that for a bit.

Got some downtime this weekend, and I'm going to try to work out some of these kinks and stuff, maybe I'll even get that version I've been promising for half a year out XD

When the next version of DF comes out I might strip this mod down a bit and release it as a barebones pony mod, probably without stuff like research and the like.

I've seen there are some comments on certain design decisions I've made, stuff like butchering being disabled is intentional, this mod's scope does not extend beyond the pony civ.
As there's no way to get ponies to NOT eat meat, so I decided to just disable it together. In the show all hooved animals are sentient and can talk.. don't eat them :P

Updated my files with some reaction fixes by Asha and Telgin, going to look into that missing cutie mark for alicorns now.

Well if you ever need someone to playtest and don't feel like doing it yourself, I'm all for it.

Also, is having a bagillion unicorn pony, pegasus and earth pony castes in the pony civ a glitch on my side or is it intentional?

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Quite intentional, the DF genetic system is not exactly made for multichromatic miniature equines and tends to make all members of the same caste look very similar, for dwarves this isn't much of a problem, but when you get your twentieth purple pony with a blue mane and yellow eyes that gets old quick.. The solution is to make several different copies to decrease the odds of two ponies looking alike. Later we added different pony classes with different skill modifiers which led to even more castes. I think there's currently something like 200 castes for ponies.

I could definitely use some playtesting done, as soon as I've got that changeling issue sorted I'll throw you a PM or something. It's mostly bugfixes this time around but I have a history of letting pretty nasty bugs through XD

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile

About your changeling problem... The creature files (the version I have) are in capable of makeING more changeling do to no MALE cast.  The queen can't produce offspring without a male to fertilize her do to Dwarf Fortress' lack of asexual reproduction method.  The queen being the only actual defined gender, drones and soldiers being genderless, makes them incapable of producing any more changelings.

On that note, I have a question...
Since there are a lot of different versions of changelings in fanon, and the canon versions aren't that well defined, what version are you trying to make exactly?  As of right now it looks like the standard “queen is mother to the hive, all others don’t have a personality and are genderless” type, which of makes the massive hole in how does the queen get pregnant without a male.  In DF one could fix this by added the spouse converter tag and such, but I think that won’t work with a civ (Someone should test that).  The other way is to use a different style of changeling from the fanon (since the canon version is poorly described at best), or just add a male cast to the race.

Also I'd also like to put up my service as a play tester if need be.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

You know it's right up my alley to spend several hours trying out various things and having overlooked a male tag XD

Asssasin Asha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it does seem difficult. Even basing off of antmen it looks tricky as they don't seem to reproduce... which is weird. Or I am misreading tags.
I might try making some changes myself. Will report if I get anything.

Edit:
Yeah, misreading everything, apparently. It's a bit too late it seems. Gotta sleep... if you got some rough version of Changelings I might try making it work. Creating them from scratch is gonna take a while, so it won't be helpful for quite some time.
Night, Y'all!
Am I the only one for whom this seems somewhat rude? I don't even know how do I manage to sound like that when I genuinely wish to help... My apologies... :(
Anyhow, if you need some testers, I might try! I'm not that great but I suppose every willing mind matters here.

Ultimoos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please, do not get rid of tanning. Moods still require skins, and when there is no way to obtain it, any pony that requires skin for mood is doomed. I understand the "no meat policy" but let the ponies tan hides.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Haha, I've found that the offer to help supercedes any blundering insults or the like, that comment was pretty innocent compared to some offers of help I've gotten at work. I'll see about fixing the changelings tonight and I'll email all yall testers when it's ready. I don't really require much other than reporting any bugs you come across.  As for tanning the fleece made from wool is considered a tanned leather in game mechanics so your moods are safe

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I could definitely use some playtesting done, as soon as I've got that changeling issue sorted I'll throw you a PM or something. It's mostly bugfixes this time around but I have a history of letting pretty nasty bugs through XD

Alright, I will await that and maybe a little outline of some things you want me to test would be nice.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel that getting rid of the ability to produce meat and tan hides is a pore choice.
No meat is bad in adventure mode when playing as a race that should be able to butcher an animal and optain meat.
No tanning is upsetting as I decided to make griffs playable and couldn't produce leather... or meat.

(Also my offer still stands for play testing)
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

I've done specific design desicions that made sense for the mod I tried to make, It does not support adventure mode as there are 200 castes to choose between, and it does not support griffins as playable. You are ofcourse free to change either of these for your own install but I won't compromise on the goals of the mod to support something I am not including myself

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've done specific design desicions that made sense for the mod I tried to make, It does not support adventure mode as there are 200 castes to choose between, and it does not support griffins as playable. You are ofcourse free to change either of these for your own install but I won't compromise on the goals of the mod to support something I am not including myself

I can respect that, and I will change what I need to... if you can tell me exactly how to removed the abilty to get tanable leathers and edible meat cuz I am at a loss for that.  Also why did you need to removed tanable leather and meat in the first place, couldn't you have just removed the tanner job from the pony civ, and I'm sure that if you give the pony race the herbavore tag they wouldn't eat meat anyway...
Sorry these are just my own thoughts on the matter.

Also as for adventure mode, it works perfectly (except for the no get meat thingy) when playing as any race. ...well as perfectly as the current version of DF can be in adventure mode.

(Sorry for any spelling errors but I just woke up)
Dwarf Fortress.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile

Mostly due to hardcoded limitations, the change i did can actually be seen a few pages back, I just remove a tag from the tissue that gives the hides.
The herbivore tag doesn't actually work on civ members, only grazing animals, tho such a feature has been requested for a while.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So just to get this stright...
The only thing I have to do to fix the no meat nor lether thingy is just replaceing the tissue layer files with the ones from normal DF?

That... and removing the tanner job from ponies to prevent them from using the lether, but allowing other races to.
Dwarf Fortress.

Asssasin Asha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, it's good I manged to look somewhat decent. Though it's the last time I allow myself to write this late about this kind of things... my stream of thoughts tends to take over and I start ranting... dagnabbit, I can do better than that!
Just went to my profile and realized that I did not allow others to email me... rectified! You may send me that hunk of Changelingness if you wish! Let's have some tests! For Science! You monster...

Oh, and
I just remove a tag from the tissue that gives the hides
Strange, I do remember my ponies butchering a honey badger and getting its skin... true, they couldn't tan it but it was there... unless it's a different thing and I am showing my terrible lack of basic modding knowledge.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:52:22 pm by Asssasin Asha »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 81