HMS Victorious
- 2 (28.6%)
RF Portsmouth
- 2 (28.6%)
Brest
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1912: R-081, the prototype Aerial Submarine  (Read 3697 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
1912: R-081, the prototype Aerial Submarine
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:03:04 am »

(OOC: basically a steampunk version of FTL).

24th October, 1912, Unknown coast

I thought we would never see land once again.
Ten days earlier, we encountered a storm on the sea. The Empire has very little regard for prisoner safety; sending people to whateveria, or formally deportation, has been understood as a way to send away petty criminals so the Empire's need not feed us. The boat we were on was an old rotten clipper and was smashed into splinters soon into it. We rushed onto a dinghy - its all for himself after all - and there were ten of us in total.

What we met was a large mountain of warped cloth and metal. Apparently we stumbled on one of the famed ship graveyards, where the empire stow away obsolete steamcrafts, as they are called. Most of them had already succumbed to the weather, but there was one of them which is, at least in some operable condition. That boat is a...

Steam Balloon: A small airship, while not capable of carrying much cargo, could keep itself in the air much, much longer than the heavier than air vessels.
Landship: Slow and lumbering machine capable of moving over land and sea alike. Have trouble climbing mountains, over rough seas, or through forests.
Steamsloop: A technical curiosity since it combines wind and steam power. Fast, pretty fragile, and nimble.
Anything else: There might be experimental types which the general public have never known of. You stumbled upon some state secret.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:56:28 am by evilcherry »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 1912: [Name Unknown] the [Unidentified steamcraft]
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:28:22 am »

Steamsloop. Oceans wait for us
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:34:31 am »

State secret.
The wind razor, an experimental ship using wind thermals and an unknown power source (gas/electricity, change as desired)to outstrip current ships. Named for it's streamlined shape.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:37:22 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:38:09 am »

State secret

A strange ship, completely sealed of from the outside. Apparently capable of sailing on sea, flying above it and diving below the surface.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:18:34 pm »

That ship sounds awesome ebbor.
If you can call something that flies ,floats and works under water a ship but either way awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:39:54 pm »

I strongly dislike the idea of a ship that can do anything... Such designs tend to be mediocore in all jobs

Pure submarine could be nice
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »

It's going to be bad in the air. It doesn't have airborne engines, for example. Just a balloon to attach to the ship.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 01:20:34 pm »

So it's air is only really use as an evasive maneuver or for a sneak attack during the night.
That could work.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

i like the sub too.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 06:13:50 pm »

What about... a landsub.

Wait, wait, hear me out. A submarine with a giant fucking drill in the front and reinforced armor, capable of both underwater and underground travel. Tell me that wouldn't be amazing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:18:50 pm »

What about... a landsub.

Wait, wait, hear me out. A submarine with a giant fucking drill in the front and reinforced armor, capable of both underwater and underground travel. Tell me that wouldn't be amazing.

also amazing however we will be about as flight capable as a couch i dont think we will be barely able to fly if at all. I'm not saying we should shoot it down but...
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »

State secret

A strange ship, completely sealed of from the outside. Apparently capable of sailing on sea, flying above it and diving below the surface.
This. Just the idea of a Flying submarine sounds awesome.  I somehow imagine a jet engine or something like it where the propeller at the back would be.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »

A state secret

A small boat that rests upon cushions. On the back is a steam powered propeller that pushes it around. Can travel on flat land and on relatively calm water, but has trouble in rough seas and rough land.

(basically a hover boat)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:38:07 pm »

A state secret

A small boat that rests upon cushions. On the back is a steam powered propeller that pushes it around. Can travel on flat land and on relatively calm water, but has trouble in rough seas and rough land.

(basically a hover boat)
This world has no need for hoverboat since this is exactly what the landship does.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 05:34:19 am »

1st November

"Another ship under the jack and cog" as they call it. The Empire had an endless stream of them, to the point that everyone is accustomed to every steamcraft assembled and sailed away from the Core of the Empire under such cover.

This, however, is an odd one. Apparently it is another Landship - on closer inspection all parts are made unusually watertight and even the main steam cannons, as they are called, are unusually waterproof. It is possible that it is designed to go underwater as well as above it.

It won’t probably last long underwater in the current shape, however. Several panels are missing from the ship, and anything you can make with your current set of tools are going to gush water under any kind of heavy pressure. Likewise a large part of the structure has rotten away, and while you have jury rigged using scrap here and there they are never as strong as the original custom machined parts.

The Crystal steam reactors, as they are called, are in equally bad shape. There are four of them, but only 2 are barely working, and one of them is having leaks making it unsafe to use under full power. You salvaged some energy crystal, but they are very very low grade from extended use. Luckily you still have a steam engine working on board, as most steamcrafts got one as backup nowadays, and they can accept everything that burns as fuel. But the lack of high grade coal means it is working at less than truly efficient.

(tbc)
Pages: [1] 2