Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Dwarven Academy of  SCIENCE  Succesion game  (Read 3327 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dwarven Academy of  SCIENCE  Succesion game
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:43:09 am »

It's been quite a long time since Armok made his first appearence as the god of  SCIENCE  It was in a far away world. One that succumbed to the interests of this face of the Blood God. But once again, Armok wonders what new creations can the dwarves invent given enough time. And he knows that the greatest dwarven creations come from their greatest struggles.

And with this knowledge, he has created a new world. A thrice-cursed dimension in which a new breed should get the needed "push" to create new marvels that would make all other dwarves ashamed, should they get to know of them.

This should be an interesting idea for a succesion game. The objectives would be creating a very dangerous world with vanilla DF, surviving and creating a Fortress dedicated to  SCIENCE  from the most in-game ones like  BIOLOGY  to the most out-of-the-game, like  PHILOSOPHY 

So, if someone wants a turn and/or to be dorfed for this, just say it, possibly giving a bio for his/her dwarf, name and field of  SCIENCE  Be creative. A miner can be an expert in  GEOLOGY  for example.

The fortress is probably going to be half evil to help with undead  BIOLOGY  so if you are going to give your opinion about how to spend embark points, think about that.

Turn 1: Rhyme Finished
Turn 2: Tally In progress
Turn 3: Durmatagno
Turn 4: Vodrilus
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:38:22 am by Rhyme »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Academy of  SCIENCE  Succesion game
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:21:26 pm »

Can I has a turn?

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »

Just a dwarf for now please, maybe a turn later I'll let you know.
Dwarf: Brewster
Professor of Brewology and Botany

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »

Ok. I don't really know if i'll be able to take the first turn, so ir will probably be Durmatagno's. If i can't play first turn by friday, i'll send him a link with a save file for the world and embark.

I'll try to post some info about the world and civilization.

PS: I'm going to take the Chief Medical Dwarf as Doc Rhyme, professor of  MEDICINE  At the Mountain Halls.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:21 pm »

I'll be a Gem cutter and Broker, Dwarf of !Geology! and !Social Sciences!

Named Drake

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:14:54 pm »

If the intent is to make a fortress dedicated to implementing and inventing new and quirky metagamey tricks... I probably wouldn't be able to help with a succession there.

I will take the smith, though. I shall be a fervent (perhaps too much so for his own good) researcher in iiMAGMAOLOGYii, with a minor in making very sharp things out of things that can be made using magma (or other fiery things like coal).

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:20:08 am »

Well, you could take one of the first turns. I think that during the first 2 or 3 turns it's going to be about not getting killed by the zombies, before we can make  SCIENCE 

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:36:56 am »

Well, you could take one of the first turns. I think that during the first 2 or 3 turns it's going to be about not getting killed by the zombies, before we can make  SCIENCE 

I guess I could. I'm still not that great at the game, though. I suppose one of the best ways to improve, however, is to challenge yourself.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 03:53:28 am »

Oookay. Let me join as Peregar, Head !!Engineer!! and !!Architect!!.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 04:22:21 am »

Alright, I'll sign up, as long as it's one of the early turns. When you start this thing up for real, you should post screenshots of all the settings you have on or off (or just specify default if you're using such) so we can all follow your example on our succession.

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:20 am »

Oh oh, if you can please dwarf me as "Pirate", Scholar in Marine Biology. Of course, there's no whales around to be harpooned so he decides to relegate to just !!BIOLOGY!!, an excuse for being able to bash things apart. That is, being in the military.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:41:44 am »

So, is this still going to be a Thing? It seems the thread randomly died.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 04:02:00 am »

Still here, just busy with exams. I'll try to post an update today.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:08:28 am »

Ok, at last I'm doing turn one, Tally will do turn 2, then Durmatagno and then as people join. Turn one started. A medium world with 500 hundred years of history, and slightly above average number of megabeasts.

From the Journal of Doc Rhyme, professor of ‼MEDICINE‼ by the Royal Academy of Dwarven ‼SCIENCE‼:
1st of Granite:
At last we've made it to the Jungles of Menace. This is soooooo exciting. Finally I'll be able to study those strange undead creatures I've always heard of. I really have to thank General Likot, a fellow doc, for giving me the opportunity to come here. Together with professors Tally, Drake, Peregar and Brewster, as well as with two miners the General assigned us, we've made it to the borders of the Jungle.

I've ordered the miners to dig a temporary place for us to stay, with a little meeting area, and some space for farms, workshops and stockpiles. I've never liked hard work, but we'll do it in the name of ‼SCIENCE‼

There is also some kind of strange phenomena here. Not only the local fauna is composed of undead creatures, but also this red vapor. It has affected some ravens, and they seem hostile and dangerous.

13th of Granite:
As we were taking everything to the new entrance the miners had dug, an undead deer attacked. It followed one of our yak bulls and got lost in the jungle. Our bull came back, and the deer doesn't seem to be going to get here any time soon.

1st of Slate:
Professor Brewster has started his work on the farms. He says we won't have any problems with food anytime soon. As a side note, we've seen more of that red blighted vapor. It seems to be a common thing here. I can't wait to have one of those undead ravens for study.

6th of Slate:
We've started digging to build some bedrooms, meanwhile we have dug a little nice room for all of us. When I say we, I mean the miners, of course. I'm planning on using it as the hospital. Professor Perergar has also placed a limestone lever to rise the bridge at the entrance of the cave, so we can seal ourselves if the ravens try to enter.

16th of Slate:
I designed refuse stockpile and we butchered the yak bulls. I'm now using the bones to make some crafts, which we will be able to sell to the caravan from the mountainhomes when they come. I think I'll make a figurine of Brewster, he has just finished building a still.

12th of Hematite:
Some migrants arrived. One of them seems like an experienced soldier. She was a hunter and a tanner, and she claims to have killed ninety creatures, including rhinos. We'll have to see if we can convince her to become our militia commander.

2nd Galena:
For Armok's beard! The ravens attacked Perergar as he returned from the jungle with wood logs. a trap captured one of the ravens, and a hunter shot down two of them, but Perergar fainted. The female hunter that I wrote about and two miners killed the rest, and now they stay dead... As well as Perergar. I have yet to see the corpse, but i fear of friendly fire. We'll bury him in what had to be his bedroom. We'll never forget you, professor Perergar.

(No images because the host was too slow and i had little time. I thought the ravens had left the map, but some others appeared. No more lone woodcutters i think)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:46:16 pm »

Ouch.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: [1] 2 3