Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1  (Read 103389 times)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.4.5
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2013, 11:59:03 am »

I've been playing this mod a little over the past day or two, and I've got to say I'm impressed. I don't know anything about the universe it is set in, which seems to be somewhat crippling to gameplay, but it has its own style and flavor and fits its setting quite well.

Also has some of the best graphics I've seen in any mod.

Is it a dead mod or is it still being worked on?

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16:08 pm »

Take a look at the last few posts. It is halfdead.
Best download that fixed rar folder by chalicier too, since every industry has some crippling bugs otherwise.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2013, 12:41:18 pm »

Take a look at the last few posts. It is halfdead.
Best download that fixed rar folder by chalicier too, since every industry has some crippling bugs otherwise.

That's too bad. Real life interferes with our hobbies. Such is life.

Are there any other good sci-fi mods that are in place? I've been playing the Fallout mod too but I can't seem to get past the lag.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2013, 10:17:56 am »

I've just noticed an oddity of my change to give hydrogen liquid properties (to stop it escaping the barrels):

Damn, this must be a REALLY cold biome.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2013, 09:59:38 am »

Right, I've tracked down the Raw Prometheum problem.

In short, it wasn't "not being called clay" as I suggested a page or two ago. Instead, the problem is that Raw Prometheum has two occurrence tags - "SOIL_SEA" and "CLUSTER_SMALL". Turns out that clay collection zones only recognise soil-types as being valid, and so the small inland clusters of Raw Prometheum cannot be collected, and getting it from the shoreline is... difficult.

I'm going to fix this by leaving the shoreline Prometheum as it is (we can assume that the oceanic deposits remain relatively raw) and add a new CLUSTER_SMALL type which can be mined. I may call it "Isomeric Prometheum" and add in a (possibly expensive) reaction to turn it into Raw Prometheum.

I'll link up another version of my raws when I'm done. This version will also have my fixes to schematics (there's a few typos in the reagents for schematic-dependent reactions) and, if I can figure out where the problem is, sheet metal rollers. I'm also hoping I can make sheet metal do some more interesting things than "being in cogitators".

I just wish there was some way to make projectiles disappear after firing so we could have Las weapons. That would be a wonderful use for all those crystals.

edit: Just to be clear, I am not offering to take over development of this mod. I'm currently quite ill and spending a lot of my time playing DF and in particular this mod (and thus fixing the problems I'm encountering as I play), but I'm mainly concentrating on my own roguelike based on the tabletop RPG Exalted. I will however keep uploading my fixes as I make them - I consider it a form of thanks to the original developers for making this mod in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:48:48 am by chalicier »

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2013, 06:06:13 pm »

Quick Question: For the ASCII version, do I replace the old(vanilla) Raws & Data, with the new Warhammer ones, or just insert them?  :P

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2013, 11:29:23 am »

Quick Question: For the ASCII version, do I replace the old(vanilla) Raws & Data, with the new Warhammer ones, or just insert them?  :P

My preferred method is to make a new DF folder and then overwrite it with the raws.

Speaking of raws, here's my latest bugfix version:

Graphical: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/584809/underhive_raws_graphics.rar
ASCII: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/584809/underhive_raws_nographics.rar

This should include fixes to industries, rat meat, some fixes to Schematics, steel rollers, and my changes to Prometheum (inland Prometheum clusters should now be Isomeric Prometheum, which can be turned to Raw Prometheum at the Kiln or Alchemy shop).

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2013, 04:44:52 am »

So is this mod dead?  :'( I love warhammer 40k and i love this mod.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2013, 05:54:32 am »

It's never dead as long as we carry it in our hearts and sacrifice a dozen psykers a day.

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2013, 11:49:49 am »

If it wasn't for chalicier, liber, and a couple others interested in comment about the mod, it would be dead.

I took the duty of keeping updating the mod but I had to take all my free time doing my thesis work, thankfully it will end this next week, after that I will have my thesis accepted and my free time designated to return and work with chalicier to make this veeeewy veeeewy grimdark

PD1: Maybe make a new post under my name?
PD2: I had time to test the latest update from chalicier last night while I was rendering... For some strange reason I was flooded with loads and loads of "grave cotton tread" And my hivers declined to drink water from the bottles, leading them almost to utter drehydration until the dirty sump water thawed an then they did drank. odd. But I will start looking for it new weekend.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:56:00 am by stormcry0 »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2013, 01:20:29 pm »

when putting water into bottles make sure they are "DRINK:NONE:WATER:NONE" however if water bottles are "flasks/waterskins" you might need to assign everyone as soldiers so they pickup their equipment which would be the water bottles.

But same goes for if water bottles are just custom tools (that are FOOD_STORAGE) you must use the above method, have the water PRODUCT be  DRINK, and they will drink.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2013, 06:43:30 am »

PD2: I had time to test the latest update from chalicier last night while I was rendering... For some strange reason I was flooded with loads and loads of "grave cotton tread" And my hivers declined to drink water from the bottles, leading them almost to utter drehydration until the dirty sump water thawed an then they did drank. odd. But I will start looking for it new weekend.
I have no idea what's going on with the grave cotton thread, but as regards the water - hivers don't drink from bottles. The water bottles are tools rather than flasks, used in the Water Filling Area to create barrels of water which the hivers will drink from.

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2013, 03:57:38 pm »

I have no idea what's going on with the grave cotton thread, but as regards the water - hivers don't drink from bottles. The water bottles are tools rather than flasks, used in the Water Filling Area to create barrels of water which the hivers will drink from.

Okey, I'm going to start working with the mod now, slowly for this week, 'cause still working in my project but oh well, now I have time to properly test all the nice changes from chalicier.

1. The rat burgers are PERFECT, they really are, I maintained my fort for one year with only rat burgers.
2. Yep, the thread, I will test it right now in different ground levels, temperatures, etc.
3. humm, even then I had the filled bottles, the water filling are and empty barrels and I wasn't able to make any barrel with water. oh, they died.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2013, 05:52:48 am »

I sometimes have a problem where the filled bottles go into a bin and refuse to come back out again. Maybe it's that? It's apparently a known bug with TOOL types in DF. I get around it by defining a stockpile for bottles with no bins allowed and disallow bottles from my normal Finished Goods stockpiles.

As regards the Grave Cotton Thread issue - where is it appearing? Is it too much being produced from each Grave Cotton plant? Is it just appearing at random? What's the situation that makes it appear? If I can reproduce the bug I can probably fix it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:18:41 am by chalicier »

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2013, 12:19:45 pm »

I had some spare time, so here's Chalicier's Guide To Playing Underhive Settlement Mod:

- If you want to be able to dig deep, choose a biome with "little soil".

- The easiest way to get access to mineral resources is either to dig deep as above, or include some Mountain biome in your embark zone. (The latter is especially useful.)

- While Hivers like the outdoors much more than Dwarves, you can't stay in the open air forever. Those damn dust clouds will mess everything up. Get some shelter sorted.

- Bring some animals along. You can probably afford a couple of grox cows and a grox bull. While you'll probably never produce enough meat that way, the milk is a BIG help and grox are also rather excellent fighters, so if you can manage to pasture them near your main entrance you're laughing. Sligs grow quickly, so they're a good choice for a meat farm, but produce no milk and can't fight. Dogs are handy, but most Underhive fauna will splatter a dog in a second.

- If you're using my fixes, things that kill vermin are a major source of food via Ratburgers.

- Your embark MUST include a crate of bottles, a power cell crate and a toolkit. You cannot survive long without a Water Still.

- Other things that are handy in an embark: Another toolkit, rockcrete (for flux - many biomes will have none and steel is important), wood (it's rare in the Underhive even in "wooded" zones), grave cotton seeds (not just clothes but you need Grave Cotton Cloth to make gunpowder),  bitter moss (a handy source of quick food), extra barrels, and lots of junk piles (for a random burst of useful tools and trade goods).

- A shotgun case and a shotshell case are also useful if you plan on hunting. While most Underhive fauna is edible (Hivers will eat pretty much anything), most of it will take more than a crossbow to kill. Once you've unpacked it, go into the (M)ilitary screen, select (A)mmunition and then set the Hunters section to use shotshells instead of crossbow bolts. Your hunters will then pick up the shotgun and ammo and go hunt some beasties. Be prepared to lose a hunter or two - Underhive fauna are very, very dangerous.

- First thing to do on embark is to build a Receiving Bay to unpack your various crates. Next thing is to build a Water Still with the unpacked Power Cell and bottles. You'll need a Water Filling Area too. Finally, you'll need barrels to put the water in. Consider putting a limit on barrels in your main food stockpile so as to reserve some for water.

- Don't assume you can skip the water distilling if you have a water source on the map. Underhive water is Bad News. Unfortunately you can't stop your Hivers giving it to the wounded, but try not to let them drink it.

- There's a nasty DF bug involving bottles and other tools in bins. Sometimes they get stuck in them and refuse to come out. Tools are less important in vanilla DF but critical in the Underhive. I get around this by making a special Tool stockpile which does not allow bins and disallowing tools from my normal Finished Goods stockpiles.

- The Hiver Forge makes weapons and gun components, the Craftsman Forge makes everything else metal.

- You need a LOT of fuel for most industries in Underhive Settlement. More in fact than most embarks will easily support. Don't neglect the Breaker Station and, if you get the schematics, Separator.

- Making flak or carapace armour is very difficult and labour- and material-intensive. Strongly consider studded leather armour; it's not magnificent, but it's definitely better than nothing.

- Nearly everything you want for your advanced industries requires chemicals from the Elecrrolytic Shrine and Alchymical Workshop. You will need Large Steel Drums for the former, and 3 glass vials to make the latter. Luckily, "dirty sand" zones are pretty much everywhere.

- You need lots of potash for things, and you do not have much wood. Good thing you can reduce vermin and animal parts to ash in the Kiln...

- For ammo, you'll need priming compound (made in the Alchemy Lab from Various Stuff), gunpowder (made in the Alchemy Lab from Grave Cotton Thread), Brass for the shells (made from Cuprum and Spelter), and lead for the bullets. They're made in the Cartridge Factory or Reloading Bench.

- One of the great challenges of this mod is that while your industries will require a broad range of resources to operate, most embarks will not have all of them. While in DF this is a minor problem, in the Underhive this a major one. As a result you will need to trade for what you don't have - whether that be flux, coal, halite, uranite or prometheum.

- One thing that can work well is to put a good premium on Junk Piles and process them for Finished Goods that you can then trade for more Junk Piles. If you have access to gems - and most embarks will - you can encrust the trade goods to increase their value even further. (In the setting for the game, there are numerous settlements that get by entirely on this process.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:47:01 am by chalicier »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33