Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 390945 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Welcome to Forgotten Park - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1005 on: December 19, 2013, 06:47:51 pm »

The problem is that, if we start building vertically, we have a lot of stuff in the depths we're going to need to haul upstairs, or risk having generations of haulers heading down into the depths only to spread about Forgotten Beast Snot Variety #25.

Ah, we're generally good on that front. The sources of the only known deadly extract are sealed in the old hospital and some little bit with walls around it. It causes the entire body to blister, then every single organ in the body fails at once.....but it's safely controlled for now. The bigger problem would be hauling..... and the fact that our faulty magma weapon is controlled by a lever close to the bottom of the fortress.

I believe the hospital is still accessible from underneath, so you should seal that off too.

The magma weapon is controlled by a lever in New Townbrush precisely so you can control the fortress weapons at a safe distance. The idea was that if we needed to flood the fortress with magma, we could retreat to a safe bunker to do so.

The next person running the fortress should really build some minecart tracks and use those to move the building stone up from the depths. There are a few layers of gabbro if we need magma-safe materials, i.e. for doors and drawbridges.

You can speed up the building process by having the blocks and furniture stockpiled at the bottom of the staircase you are building up from, and then using those blocks (the game should assign the closest blocks first).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Welcome to Forgotten Park - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1006 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:01 pm »

When I think "Safe place to fill a hole with lava from" I do not generally think "bottom of said hole".

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 20, 2013, 08:14:38 am »

Yeah, just build minecart tracks up from the bottom. They'll haul huge amounts of stone up. If you're building walls with it, you can have mason's workshops at the 'bottom' and have them cut into blocks there. It takes a bit longer to fill the cart, but then you don't have to wait for the masonry to be done at the surface.

If you build it up from the 'palace' you can then use it to send food back down for the dining rooms, after it's all done. I've done that a few times. Just make sure the carts are set to guide so no one trying to use it as a shortcut gets run over. That's less entertaining.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 20, 2013, 10:37:36 am »

Yeah, just build minecart tracks up from the bottom. They'll haul huge amounts of stone up. If you're building walls with it, you can have mason's workshops at the 'bottom' and have them cut into blocks there. It takes a bit longer to fill the cart, but then you don't have to wait for the masonry to be done at the surface.

If you build it up from the 'palace' you can then use it to send food back down for the dining rooms, after it's all done. I've done that a few times. Just make sure the carts are set to guide so no one trying to use it as a shortcut gets run over. That's less entertaining.

The palace is actually made out of marble, so that stone should really go to the smelters. There is also a five-story storage silo designated in the palace for food and other items, but that needs to have the entrance designated for mining before it is dug (as long as it can be doored off).

You will need to assign the masons to burrows to get them to work making blocks while other dwarves build the walls. I have the "emergency assignments burrow" which can be used for that. Make sure you include a burrow with both food and drinks in it.

When I think "Safe place to fill a hole with lava from" I do not generally think "bottom of said hole".

For dwarves, when the entire surface world is on fire, and the fortress is filling with lava, it helps to be in a sealed-off chamber. They can always dig themselves out of the mess if they need to return to the surface, and New Townbrush was intended to be self sustaining.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 27, 2013, 01:56:31 am »

*Sprays for crickets?*

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 28, 2013, 01:25:56 am »

*Sprays for crickets?*
It has been a bit quiet. Guess everyone's been out trying to drop Santa into a pit of bees.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 28, 2013, 07:13:07 am »

Zombie bees. Covered in Forgotten Beast Extract.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 28, 2013, 03:15:25 pm »

Zombie bees. Covered in Forgotten Beast Extract.

....Ok, this is drifting off topic but given we're not getting updates right now....can bees be thralled?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 28, 2013, 06:50:49 pm »

Presumably, since they're large enough to interrupt dwarven tasks.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 28, 2013, 07:02:50 pm »

Bees are vermin-sized creatures in Dwarf Fortress, so they don't get thralled and they don't get turned into zombies either. They can sting dwarves, which is a bit of a annoyance (for the dwarves) but otherwise I have not seen bee stings interrupt tasks.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 29, 2013, 02:31:22 am »

I could swear I've seen them interrupt, but only from dwarven hives, not natural ones.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 29, 2013, 02:27:20 pm »

I don't suppose there are giant bee men in the raws?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 31, 2013, 12:57:39 am »

I don't suppose there are giant bee men in the raws?

From the wiki, I believe not.

I know we're mostly ignoring the time limit rules these days, but it's been a while since anything happened....

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The question must be asked: Who's turn is it anyway?

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

Can I sign up?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 100