Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Consider this: Gregor and Derick have a duel with same quality weapons (Iron, for example) and in neutral conditions (no terrain, supports and so on). On whom you would bet?

Derick the Swordmaster of Doom
Gregor the Tanky Stab-Sentinel

Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1249

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums (FEF), OOC Thread: FEF1 has been Finished!  (Read 841290 times)

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums (FEF), OOC Thread. I warned you about stairs, Gregor!
« Reply #15195 on: November 25, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »

I'm going to play Risk of Rain until then. :P

Random question, would you recommend Risk of Rain? It seems interesting, but never hurts to know more. Is it a game one can actually play multiple times, or a more 'once and done' kind of game?

Depending on how you are with 100% completion, you can go for a very, very long time.

That and the co-op is really fun.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15196 on: November 25, 2013, 07:47:29 pm »

Short answer, Xan: Yes. Yes I would.

Long answer: Risk of Rain is an extremely difficult, punishing game, but it's in such a way that you keep going 'goddamnit, I'm going to do better' rather than 'fuck this.' Each of the ten characters has a unique playstyle so you're certain to find one you absolutely love (for me it's the Acrid, although I'm kind of partial to the Mercenary and the Miner as well), and unlocking them and getting good enough to beat the game with each is a rewarding task. So far I've cleared it as the Acrid twice, and the Miner, Huntress, Bandit, Engineer, and HAN-D once each out of about... seventy playthroughs?

There's a large variety of items with different ways of activating. Some are on-touch, some are on-hit, some are on enemy kill, some are always active, some you have to manually use. Some of these conditions are entirely luck based (the Photon Jetpack requires you to clear a map so there's no enemies before the teleporter finishes its countdown, and RoR loves to spawn a high-HP enemy at 89 seconds just to dick you over) and some are character specific (like killing 10 enemies at the same time with HAN-D's fourth skill).

I bought the game ten days ago and have logged thirty hours into it so far - a third of the amount of time I've played Terraria, if that tells you anything, and at the price I've gotten three hours of gameplay per dollar. Most AAA games can't claim that. :P It's a simple but REALLY fun game, and I haven't even touched multiplayer or hard mode yet. I would highly recommend it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #15197 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »

@Crimson: Kinda-sorta. I usually play a game through once and call it done, but I do my damnedest to do everything that's utterly possible in that one play through. I usually crank the difficulty up to max to extend how long it takes me to beat it.

@SC: Well, you've peaked my interest. When I got some money to rub together I'll probably give it a shot.

In other news, I'm tired of this lull in the IC, but I think I got an idea to possibly fix that. Maybe.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15198 on: November 25, 2013, 08:17:22 pm »

Hmm. Well, if you want to see everything, you'll have to go through it at least twice, as levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 have two different maps and it's random which one you get when you play. Additionally, the two different maps for 3 and 4 all have something different to unlock on them: a hidden area in the map 3 Frozen Tundra, and the Acrid in the map 3 Sunken Shrine. In the Magma Barracks for 4 you can find the miner, and in the Hive you can get an achievement. With the exception of the first thing I listed there, all of these have a random chance of appearing as well.

If you just want to play through it to see the ending, well, you'll only be in for a disappointment. Sort of. There's only one line of text, but it IS different for each character, so there's that. So let me put it this way, Xan: if you like a bit of mindless fun that you're willing to spend upwards of ninety minutes to complete (no checkpoints or saves; each run is straight through until you win or die), then you'll probably love this game like I do. If that's not your thing, then you won't. I wouldn't want you to waste your cash on something you wouldn't like, but at the same time, I rarely get this hyped about a non-forum game anymore, so take that as you will.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15199 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:34 pm »

For some reason it is now 2am but I swear that when I started Risk of Rain it was 10pm... But I got to Temple of Elders for the first time. And promptly got asploded (damned King Imp... I hate that boss with a passion). My Commando had ton of defensive/healing boosts... plus Tallium and Behemoth upgrades, not to mention deployable minefield. Everything was exploding in clouds of venom and shrapnel.

It was glorious.

Bandit is good too! Unfortunately I totally suck at Enforcer. I keep dying on first map . _.'

EDIT: Oh right - tomorrow we're doing 'evening' and hopefully around Thursday you're going to Kesselring. Sirus and SC wanted supports somewhere, write them down and I will update in the morning.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15200 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:56 pm »

If we are really going to the last battle, then can Tantallos get a B support with Chris?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15201 on: November 25, 2013, 08:33:53 pm »

Maybe those of us here with it should organize some co-op sometime. :P

Also, the support I want to level is with Tantallos, although if Sirus and I can get some RP in I wouldn't mind leveling Gregor too. :3

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15202 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:07 pm »

The 'no checkpoint' thing will probably work in its favor, although I have to ask: how similar are the stages? Say you play the same stage twice, will you see generally the same thing, the exact same thing, or something different? How differently do the characters play from one another? Is there some form of randomization?

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15203 on: November 25, 2013, 08:54:23 pm »

Maybe those of us here with it should organize some co-op sometime. :P
* CE hifive

@Xan:
-The stages generally have similar layouts so it's not that difficult to navigate, but certain parts are randomzied, from item locations to certain pieces of terrain.
-The characters play very differently from person to person
-The randomization is limited to the stages and what items you get. But there are a wide variety of items, stages, enemies and elite enemy modifiers.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15204 on: November 25, 2013, 09:04:10 pm »

With the exception of level 6, each map has two or three 'states' it can appear in. Sometimes it's a minor change, and sometimes it can completely change how you navigate the level. For example, Frozen Tundra has a bridge at the top. It might be whole, or it might be broken, requiring you to venture all the way down into the pit to cross the level. But other than that, sort of? Each level has a set group of enemies that will appear on it; for example, level one always has lemurians, wisps, jellyfish, and robots, and the boss will always be Colossus, Wandering Vagrant, or Magma Worm.

As for other randomization, the teleporter spawns in a random location, although never nearby. Your character will also spawn each map in a random location, although I think there might be only a few spawn points. I've never thought to remember them. Chests, shrines, and drone spawn in random places throughout each level, and sometimes one type might not spawn at all; I got a level 2 once that only had shrines. What item you get from chests and boss drops (and rarely elite enemy drops if you have the 56 Leaf Clover) are random.

As for the characters, you can basically group them into ranged and melee. The ranged characters are the Commando, Enforcer, Bandit, Huntress, Engineer, and Sniper. The melee are the HAN-D, Miner, Acrid, and Mercenary. Even then, they have different playstyles. Here's my opinion on each.

Commando: Commando fires quick, has a great move to pierce through all enemies, a nice evasion move (a forward roll that, if timed correctly, can even negate fall damage), and a suppression fire technique. His style is all about nimbleness and procing items. He's a fun and well-balanced character, but I've never been successful as him.

Enforcer: Enforcer is a bit of a tank. His shotgun has limited range but hits everything in front of it. He can shield bash enemies far away and throw stun grenades to immobilize groups. His evasion move has him plant his shield in the ground, making him completely immune to damage from one direction. I really want to like this guy, but I have no luck with him.

Bandit: Bandit is a sneaky killer. His fire rate is as fast as you can press the button, and he can hurl molotovs to weaken groups of enemies. His evasion is a smoke bomb that speeds his movement and makes him invisible for a few seconds. His fourth skill, Lights Out, is a high damage shot that, if it kills the enemy, resets the cooldown for his molotov, smoke bomb, and LO. I got my first victory as him.

Huntress: Huntress is a kiter. She's the only character that can move while firing her basic attack, and she'll auto-track the nearest enemy. Her Glaive attack throws a high damage projectile that ricochets off of up to three enemies, and her bomb arrow can deal a good amount of damage to a cluster. Her evasion move is a short range teleport that can be useful for a bit of extra distance on jumps. I'm not a huge fan, but I did manage to beat it as her.

Engineer: Kind of an area-denial character. His basic attack fires three rolling grenades that aren't very strong. His secondary lays a mine and he carries up to 15 that regen over time. He doesn't have an evasion; instead he fires four heatseeking missiles for pretty good damage. His fourth skill lets him place a turret or two to help him fight, but they have a slow (I think 45 second) regen. He's fun to mess around with but I don't take him seriously, even if I beat it with him once.

Sniper: The game describes him as a boss killer, and this is accurate, although at heavy expense. His basic attack is a powerful shot that requires a reload; this is done in the same style as Gears of War's Active Reload system, where you press the button at the right time to make your next shot more damaging. His secondary attack is aiming, which can greatly increase the power of the shot and let it pierce. His evasion is a long range back roll. His fourth skill scans a random enemy (defined as 'the toughest'); once scanned, all hits against that enemy are criticals. This guy sucks in solo play and I've never made it past level 2 with him, but he might be fun in multiplayer.

Next, the melee.

HAN-D: Slow and tanky as hell. His basic attack is a slow punch with good knockback. His second attack fires a drone, which hits an enemy and leeches health back; he can hold up to ten at a time, and acquires them by killing enemies. His evasion is actually an overclock; he moves and attacks faster, and his attacks have greater knockback and a stun chance, but it doesn't last long. His fourth skill is a slow smash with a hammer that deals great damage and launches everyone in a pretty good area around him. I dislike HAN-D, but I still beat the game as him.

Miner: The miner is all about dashing. His basic attack is a swing on each side with a pickaxe; it has little range, but it's fast and does pretty good damage. His secondary is a charged dash that can go through multiple enemies. His evasion is a backdash that deals damage and stuns. His fourth move sends him into the air (and can function as a double jump, if need be) and hits below him to damage groups. He's fun to play as if a bit weak and skill-heavy, and I beat it as him.

Acrid: The Acrid is the area-denial of the melee, plus status inflictions. His normal attack is a bite with good range that hits everything in front of him and inflicts poison. His secondary is a spit of some sort that also pierces and does decent damage. His evasion speeds him up and makes him leave an acid trail that deals constant damage and slows enemies; using this correctly is key to playing the Acrid and makes him a monster in solo play. His fourth move is an infectious spit that inflicts plague on the enemy it hits, and it can spread. I love the Acrid and have two wins as him.

Mercenary: The mercenary is the flashy guy of the game, as he moves like a ninja and carries a lightsaber. His basic attack is a swing that can hit three enemies in front of him (and I think it can hit behind him a few pixels, as long as he hits someone in front at the same time). His secondary is a whirling jump that hits twice and can be used as a weak double jump, but is mainly used to jump through crowds and hit people. His third move is a quick dash that inflicts damage; if it hits, he can do it again, up to three times before it needs to recharge. His final move has him disappear and inflict about six slashes on the nearest enemy, as long as that enemy is close. He's invincible during it. I haven't beaten it as him yet, but he's damn fun to play.

@ninja CE & anyone else wanting to play: My Steam account is same as here. :P

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15205 on: November 25, 2013, 09:14:10 pm »

Hm... Alright, call me interested. One reason that I typically don't play games through again with a different character is that, for the most part, the choice winds up being purely cosmetic in the end. Borderlands 2, Faster than Light, Diablo, etc. Psycho was about the only character that interested me to give BL2 another shot because picking him affected how you played more than the others.

It sounds like Risk of Rain however is very different in that regard, something that I think is a good thing. At the worst, it's only ten dollars.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15206 on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:52 pm »

Alright, hopefully I should have some free time in an hour or so. If SC is still interested I can RP come then.
Such a long day x_x
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15207 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:48 pm »

Xan wants Gregor, too, Sirus. :P But yeah, I'll be around.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15208 on: November 25, 2013, 10:01:07 pm »

I am FailW/Style on steam, for future reference =V

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #15209 on: November 25, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »

IIIIIIII DEMAND A B SUPPORT WITH ANJAAAA
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1249