Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42

Author Topic: [50.xx] Succubus Dungeon 19.0 - Dens and Altars  (Read 229087 times)

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CIV] Succubus civ 5.2 - strange bedfellows
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2013, 08:14:29 pm »

Just ran a basilisk summoning. I had enough reagents to do one summoing, but I put two in the que just in case. The room the summing was in had a dozen wisps. The succubus assigned to the first summing job gathered the materials, did his transformation and began doing whatever it is they do. The second job then grabbed a succubus, who transformed into a summoning ritual on the spot, which was inside my central stairwell, about 50 tiles from the circle. The circle didn't seem concerned at all that I only had the reagents for one spell. My first succubus gets off his spell and changes 12 wisps into basilisk. My second succubus follows a moment later and changes 2 wisps that were in the stairwell at the time.

I had the reagents for one spell, did two spells, and got 14 basilisks.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 31, 2013, 01:45:18 am »

The spell is currently a line of sight effect on all the wisps in the area. There is no way to limit the effect to only one wisp at the time. Or at least in all my attempts it was all of them or none.

I think you only had one job. However it must have transformed another succubus far away in addition to the first one who then triggered the process again. Dfhack should prevent this but perhaps MW has an issue. I will test this.

I am rewriting it now that I have a better tools for this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:45:41 am by Boltgun »

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2013, 05:58:06 pm »

You are clearly the master modder, so I won't dispute that it was probably one job, but from the order of actions, it looked to me as if the reagents were used up several steps after the first job started, which allowed the second job to use the same reagents to start, and once it was started it never actually checked to see if the reagents were still there when it was supposed to use them up. Since all the reagents were in place, the succubus didn't need to even take anything to the circle, it just started the summoning part right away, which meant he did his spell in a random stairwell.

On a less bug related note, how do I harvest basilisk horns? Do I need to butcher them? I have tried everything non-lethal I could think of.

On a more, this is really cool note, tentacle monsters are amazing. I haven't summoned any yet, but I embarked with two and they have been worth their weight in....slime? Corruptness? Something. They tend to lose limbs to trained and equipped hostiles, but against random critters like gnolls and berserk succubi, almost every fight is a page or two of "The tentacle monster's 84th limb grasps the hapless victim and bruises the tissue" until I finally get a "The tentacle monster grasps the doomed victim by the head and shakes, the part comes away in its grasp".

I had a bit of a jailbreak by a dozen gnolls and I am pretty sure that the single tentacle monster I sent down to deal with it tore every single one of their heads off. Every single one. Trying to out punch/grapple a tentacle monster is a losing proposition.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2013, 03:48:59 am »

To make orichalcum, you shear the basilisks at the farmer's workshop once their horn is long (you see that in their profile screen). You will get a yellow refuse item (horn orichalcum) that, once stockpiled, will enable the job at the smelters.

Tentacle monsters are great, you can also milk them btw and either cook the slime or make soap without the need of lye. The next version of df will provide even more fun since they'll be able to attack with several tentacles at once.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:50:33 am by Boltgun »

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:20 pm »

I am now in possession of orichalcum through non-basilisk means, since after 6 years in game time, the basilisk have still failed to be sheared, any of the 14. My metalworkers appear unable to actually produce anything with it. They simply cancel the forge job if it involves orichalcum. Sadly, that fort has died a FPS death. Too much expanding and junk collecting.

In the next fort, I had an ant soldier somehow get into my tunnels, and get mobbed by the zillions of grave cats keeping my succubi as pets. They failed to do any serious harm, at which point a war tentacle monster passing by proceeded to rip the ant soldier into pieces.

The tentacle slime got all over the floor and walls and the grave cats, which then, all 20+ of them, proceeded to suffocate to death. All of them dead. All of them pets. I somehow survived the tantrum spam. Somehow. I am not sure if Succubi are just tougher minded or if I was lucky, but the worst of it was a tantruming succubi kissing the foot of another and chipping the bone right through its cloth sandal. Some serious lip action there. My hospital was fully up and running so no big deal. On a side note, war trained tentacle monsters are scary. Also, murder all non-fooccubus created animals on arrival, or seal the pets somewhere safe. Tentacle slime kills friend as well as foe.

Also, kind of as a surprise to me, legendary succubus soldiers are killing machines, even if they are lacking some coverage in their armor. I had a trio of them massacre a dwarven siege without taking any damage, despite one of the 3 dwarven blobs being crossbow wielders. Bronze may not stand up to steel, but it is irrelevant if the bronze wearer dodges every single shot and lands every one of their own. I was afraid the armor options would limit the succubus army because they lack coverage of some body parts, and some are covered in leather only, but the +agility of the succubus seems to make it irrelevant.

I guess I am just used to dwarfs being unstoppable because they are all wearing 5+ layers of steel everywhere.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2013, 02:24:00 am »

I tried Masterwork and I found out that there is already a material named orichalcum, so you get confusing menus. Perhaps it prevent the horns from being sheared. And if you manage to shear the creature, it must be from the right material. If their horn end up being MW orichalcum instead of succubi orichalcum, you cannot make bars from it.

Even then, you have two entries for orichalcum in the menus that leads to two different metals. If one fails, you can try the other but something must be done to make features easier.

I already made the succubi and summoned pets immune to tentacle slime, but this is starting to be a problem to me. I am thinking of nerfing the paralysis because spreading death slime is both too powerful and annoying. I need something useful but that may not prevent you from taming pets.

Succubi are indeed tougher minded. There is much less marriage and children in forts so tantrum spirals does not spread as fast. Add enough crafts and tragedies can be easily contained. A legendary succubus is indeed a beast, with enough armor skills they will strike first and dodge easily. This is why they do not have access to the best armor and metals... may Armok have pity on the dwarves if you loot steel.

As easier this make the game, this is planned to add rewards in evil biomes to encourage building forts in harder settings.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:32 am »

I had orichalcum bars, I just couldn't do anything with them, so I have to assume that they are the masterwork version intended for smelting or alloying.

The thing about the slime is that I also had a fairly large number of barghest in my fort and I only lost one of them to the tentacle slime. Not sure if they simply didn't walk that way as much or if their larger size protected them more from the slime. I don't know if it is possible but making the slime act faster and for a much shorter time might work. That way it is effective in combat as a paralysis agent but it doesn't act long enough to be a danger on its own. It would need the tentacle monster to follow up and use the opening it creates.

Some kind of advantage in evil zones would actually make a great deal of sense, succubi are actually &.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2013, 05:40:00 am »

Size dilutes the paralysis, and bigger monsters are less affected. I had a giant walk in and lost his leg nerves really quickly. Perhaps a short effect will prevent the permanent damage leading to death.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:15 pm »

By the way I finally made a preinstalled mac build the download link is in the OP.

I also moved the linux build away from dffd. By keeping only the windows version and the patch, this will not spam the listings.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:51:10 pm by Boltgun »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: [CIV] Succubus civ 5.3 - strange bedfellows
« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2013, 07:37:34 am »

Update 5.3

This update does not requires a world gen. You can update your save by dropping the raws in it.
More infos about generating world and updating mods.

WARNING! I recommend making a backup of your saved game before proceeding with this update.

Make sure you update the hack/script folder with the new provided scripts (otherwise you can copy your save over a new prebuilt version).

This update is a major change to summoning. Soul wisps are no longer involved!
Creatures are instead summoned one at a time once the reagents are collected.
Summonings now require less reagents and should be done faster, except for shothoth spawns who got more powerful instead.

To make the soul wisps useful, the gas they release when killed can now stun its killer. More effects will be given to those pets later on.

Other creatures effects has been modified as you can see in the spoiler tag.

There is an issue with the freshly summoned creature not always appearing on the animals screen, saving and reloading fix this but I am aware of this trouble and am looking for a way to correct this.

Changes :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also assembled a masterwork patch. I can't garantee that the succubi will react to the many features found there but at least I could generate a world without duplicates.
I renamed the orichalcum there, 'hellish orichalcum' is the one that basilisks should provide. Please tell me if there is any issues there.

Downloads
Windows build
Mac build
Linux build
Masterwork patch
Standalone patch

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 22, 2013, 08:47:14 pm »

Have been playing this as time permits. The MW patch seems to work fine. A big thing I noticed right away is that summoned creatures are not available to bring along at embark. Not sure if my civ just didn't have any, or if they are not really options anymore. Having a tentacle monster to guard you right at start certainly does help, but at the same time, dragging a summoned tentacle monster across however many miles to the new site does seem a little strange.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 23, 2013, 07:04:42 pm »

Can't check right now, but I'm pretty sure that's because they're meant to be summoned and not to appear in the wild. They probably have no biomes, meaning no civs have access to them except your fort.

Of course I could be wrong, but I'm not on a computer now, so I can't really check :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:07:11 pm by RickRollYou2 »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2013, 04:56:02 am »

It is only your civ. To get summons at embark, the civ need to spread over an evil biome and send someone to tame those during world gen. If you give it enough years, this is likely that at least one civ have tamed tentacle monsters or even basilisks. The exception to that are the nightmares who are always available for our caravans.

Perhaps there is a way to check for such a civ in legends mode.

Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2013, 06:30:47 pm »

Hey, I just noticed that you can't appoint a broker, which means that you can't trade (not that I have anyone to trade with), or see your created value and stuff. Is this just a bug or what? I also can't appoint a chief doctor.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:31 pm »

Hey, I just noticed that you can't appoint a broker, which means that you can't trade (not that I have anyone to trade with), or see your created value and stuff. Is this just a bug or what? I also can't appoint a chief doctor.

I'm pretty sure you can trade with people without a broker - just set the depot to anyone may trade instead of broker may trade. Although it'll make trading a pain (you'll have to somehow get someone with the appraiser skill to get to the depot before the miscellanious hangers-on decide that it's their time to shine) without one.
No real reason to not allow brokers to be appointed, unless it's just the mod's way of telling you that real succubi don't trade.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42