Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Tutorial Stream Thingy  (Read 1908 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
DF Tutorial Stream Thingy
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:37:58 am »

After talking with a buddy of mine about how we can't get more of our mutual friends into DF (in small part because they don't live near enough to talk over their shoulder) we decided to do a livestream of DF, with the intent of explaining everything that's going on and hopefully making the game easier to get into. And since we're doing it for a few of our friends, we figured we may as well announce our intentions to the world at large.

Thursday, April 18, 2013, 7:30pm EST, my friend and I will be streaming on http://www.twitch.tv/bowdown2q. You don't need to make an account on the site to watch, but you will if you want to comment. We'll also have a reddit thread I'll point to when the time comes. If you've got a friend who's been debating whether to try DF, or if you just want to watch us make fools of ourselves, tune in!

Beyond that announcement, I'm also open to any suggestions you may have about this endeavor!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Tutorial Stream Thingy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:37 am »

Gotta watch that myself.
Is that oddd that I never watched any DF streams? (justifiable due to lack of said streams)

(1:30pm CET - I like that, finally someone who doesn't stream when it's 2am over here)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:04:47 am »

Rats - when is that Australia time?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:08 am »

Rats - when is that Australia time?

EST is UTC -4, so our UTC start time will be 23:30
I don't know where exactly you are in Australia, but Sydney is AEST, UTC +10

So 7:30pm Thursday for us will be 9:30am Friday for Sydney. Adjust as needed!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:12:33 am »

Dammit! That's 8:30 in the morning for me; hopefully I'll be able to watch.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:13:03 am »

I recommend you use loose language when talking about what you are doing. Saying "You have to build walls around your fortress" isn't helping people play DF. It's helping people play one way out of dozens or more ways they could be playing. Explain why you do things your way and expand upon the other ways you could be doing something. If someone can't get their brain around your way they should be able to find another way.

I'm being intentionally vague and nonspecific about all this. There are oh so many different ways to fortress or adventure.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:46:31 am »

Howdy! So I'm said buddy who will be hosting the stream. I'll see if I can't answer some technical questions beforehand.

Dammit! That's 8:30 in the morning for me; hopefully I'll be able to watch.

Well, with luck, if I can figure out how to work my software, I'll also be uploading an edited version of the stream as a video, so you can always watch it postmortem.

I recommend you use loose language when talking about what you are doing. Saying "You have to build walls around your fortress" isn't helping people play DF. It's helping people play one way out of dozens or more ways they could be playing. Explain why you do things your way and expand upon the other ways you could be doing something. If someone can't get their brain around your way they should be able to find another way.

I'm being intentionally vague and nonspecific about all this. There are oh so many different ways to fortress or adventure.

I intend to! I'm planning on discussing with Monk our (and other) varying styles of play. For instance, I like hacking out one huge stockpile and calling it a day. He's more of an architect, and some people here are crazy about enforcing efficiency. I plan to discuss how and why you might want to, for instance, have different workshop setups, or how far down/into the mountain you might want to go before building stuff. Defense is gonna be low on the priority list; it's hard enough not to starve/die of thirst/booze-less tantrum your first run though without worrying about goblins.

Oh! Also, if y'all wanna help us out, and link me to some good images - like the one on the wiki that explains how stairs and ramps work - that help explain the mechanics of the game, that'd be super helpful. If somebody's got soemthing that shows how Z-levels are top-down slices, that would be great.

Nalbir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:59 am »

To late for me in the UK (00:30). Have fun though.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:29 pm »

Just a quick bump, as we'll be starting in ~2 hours

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:15:35 pm »

Starting in ~5 minutes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:59:34 pm »

Love the streams but some better audio would be nice if possible.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 07:07:22 pm »

Sadly, it's as good as it's going to get with our poor equipment.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:23 pm »

*nods* hey you do your best and that cool. Btw. whoever of you is in the foreground sounds a bit like J.P. Nickel from SMBC-theater.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:17 am »

Hope all went well freinds.  Had power out last night (much storming over previous two days).  I'll be anxiously awaiting the edited vids to be posted.
Pages: [1] 2