Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 194984 times)

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2445 on: May 08, 2014, 08:44:42 pm »

dwarves are more likely to die out in world gen then frost giants. The "siege" is not instant, it can take some time. Give it a month in game time, then try again. It might just be that they are laughing at your war declaration =P

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 09, 2014, 01:56:11 am »

Lol, probably...
Is there any benefit from the "marvel at the displayed artifact reaction at the display stand? I don't see any happy thoughts for the dwarf that's been staring at my 1.2 mill gem for months now...

Also, I just discovered one of my children has the "warlock" buff tag...what does that mean?
Actually, wait...a TON of people have that tag now.....why............
And they're all listed as having no jobs by therapist, mounting up to 38 people, even though I only have 10 idlers...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:00:23 am by MerkerBenson »

soyweiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: May 09, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »

Found an old chest while digging. It had some sort of marker in it. Which reanimated all the dead as necromorphs. Which would not have been that big of a problem hadn't I just repelled a rather large strangler attack.

Much !!fun!! was had. Next fort. If I encounter that marker again. How do I get rid of it?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 09, 2014, 05:00:52 pm »

Found an old chest while digging. It had some sort of marker in it. Which reanimated all the dead as necromorphs. Which would not have been that big of a problem hadn't I just repelled a rather large strangler attack.

Much !!fun!! was had. Next fort. If I encounter that marker again. How do I get rid of it?

I think there's something that can be done with the religion system to destroy it.

soyweiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »

Damnit, was still training my priest, and still needed to build the last temple.

And of course while the last 3 dwarfs are laying in various corners with broken bones. The strangler civ sends its king with an invasion force. :D

Edit: and the king walks into my weapon traps and gets a fancy  =Smooth Wooden Stake= brain piercing.
Lomsnulmo, The Law-Giver, Dark Strangler, has been struck down.

And then the necromorphs drive off the invaders.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:20:03 pm by soyweiser »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:02 pm »

Either way if memory serves it'd require a dwarf sacrifice themself to remove the marker threat. And hah, poor strangler.

jhoson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: May 13, 2014, 06:59:12 am »

When a sacrifice is needed, i use one of my many migrants  xD

Use a manager to let only  that dwarf enter the building, set praying on Therapist for him (remove all other labors ), commit and just wait =D

Now migrants are usefull  :D

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:57 pm »

I guess this is more sort of a general question, but, does the world keep evolving while you are playing your fortress, as years pass?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2453 on: May 15, 2014, 12:35:52 pm »

I guess this is more sort of a general question, but, does the world keep evolving while you are playing your fortress, as years pass?
no. next df update: yes, they should.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: May 17, 2014, 11:10:54 am »

All I'm wondering is this: Is there not a button somewhere I can click to get complete vanilla DF settings? Then I can go through and turn on just what I want.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: May 17, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »

All I'm wondering is this: Is there not a button somewhere I can click to get complete vanilla DF settings? Then I can go through and turn on just what I want.

Not completely, some changes (like the generic leather and wood) are too pervasive to be disabled. You can use the launcher to disable most things though: just go through the tabs and uncheck everything - then re-enable just the stuff you want. The launcher tells you what things are if you mouse over them, and the manual has more details.

Do note that you'll have to generate a new world anytime you change which parts are enabled!

slom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 18, 2014, 05:27:49 am »

Im very new to the masterwork df mod.
1. I'd like to know how does the Invaders (x) option in Masterwork Settings works relative to existent fortress? Can I disable invaders, build a fortress and turn them on again? Like with temperature.
2. I ve heard, that there are new rain types introduced. Is it possible to fill a pond with a beer/milk from those rains? Also, in 5 years I havent seen any in a good biome. Are they so rare? (weather-on, regional weather-on)
3. How does the boulder crabs breed?
4. Caravans doesnt bring Trade license even though I order it from liaisons.
I am not a native english speaker. Sorry for mistakes.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 18, 2014, 06:58:44 am »

1. I believe the Invaders World Settings toggle (in the Settings tab) works without regen; it simply flips the [INVADERS:YES] tag in d_init.txt to :NO]. This should work without regen given that is true for temperature, caveins, and weather. Toggling specific races from Civilizations or Other Creatures tab would definitely require a regen.

2. Near as I can tell, the presence of non-water rain disables accumulation in murky pools completely. I don't think there are any examples of good-biome rain in vanilla, but under Surroundings, evil rain is mentioned to have this effect. Since the different flavours function the same, mechanically speaking, I expect the same is true of good rain. Furthermore, even if it did it wouldn't really be a drinkable substance... Drinks are derived from the raws of a plant, the biome rains are just an inorganic material with a liquid form (and attached syndrome).

That said, the good rains do have an effect: beer rain will temporarily add the NO_DRINK tag to a creature, while milk-and-honey rain will add the NO_EAT tag. These will apply if the creature inhales the substance, and given the substance's boiling point, this should happen as soon as it lands on anything (because its boiling point is 895 units lower than the freezing point of most everything else). Even so, use of good rain in this way may not be advisable, as it prevents the ability of your creatures from eating or drinking and gaining happy thoughts in this way. (This may or may not even be a problem depending on how well your fort is doing.)

3. Looks like they have a 25% chance of laying a normal egg (the other 3/4 of the time being limestome, marble, or dolomite). Set up a stone stockpile to take these boulders (ensure there is always space) and disable boulder crab eggs in your food stockpile and your kitchen menu. This should remove any non-egg boulders from a nest box as soon as a hauler as the opportunity, while leaving eggs to mature. Eggs aren't directly edible in masterwork so even hungry dwarves should leave them alone.

4. ./shrug Be patient I guess. I'm not familiar with how to game the caravans, but you can try to make the trip more profitable by selling goods that are a lot more valuable than what you're buying. In theory that will make future caravans bring more stuff. It might also require some gaming involving caravan weight but I'm not familiar with that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:01:15 am by Niveras »

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 19, 2014, 10:03:34 am »

Go I got some questions about the cult.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2459 on: May 19, 2014, 11:37:18 am »

Go I got some questions about the cult.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165