Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Elements 2 - Day 3 - End of the Line  (Read 16214 times)

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Elements 2 - Day 3 - End of the Line
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:47:58 am »

ELEMENTS
The Captain's Edition

In the maelstrom of chaos at the beginning of all things, the five great elements played their games of fate to see who would shape the world to come.

Elements is a mafialike game for five players. Each player plays an element secretly assigned to them: fire, air, water, earth and wood. Each element is naturally allied with two other elements and is enemy with two other elements. A player wins when both their enemies are dead and they are still alive.

The allegiances are as you'd expect:

Fire is allied with Air and Earth, enemy to Water and Wood.
Air is allied with Fire and Water, enemy to Earth and Wood.
Water is allied with Air and Wood, enemy to Fire and Earth.
Wood is allied with Water and Earth, enemy to Air and Fire.
Earth is allied with Wood and Fire, enemy to Water and Air.

Each day every player may take two actions, which must be either an attack or a protect. Each player may cast both an attack and a protect. They may instead cast two attacks or two protects, but doing so exhausts the player (see below). No player may cast more than one action on the same target, nor are they allowed to target themselves.

Each element has one or more special powers (listed below) which can alter the gameplay. In addition to these abilities, every element has the ability to start up a private chat with one other player of their choosing.

When a player dies, they may choose one other player to be privately informed whether the deceased was an enemy or an ally of theirs, but their true element is not revealed until the end.

Resolving Attacks
At the end of the day, all abilities are resolved and the total attacks and protects are tallied. Each protect nullifies one attack, (unless stated otherwise).

If a player suffers only 1 attack, then they are injured for the following day instead of killed. If a player suffers 2 or more attacks, or if they suffer at least one attack while injured, then they die.

An injured player may only take 1 action. (If they survive a day while injured, they are no longer injured on the following day) All players are publicly informed when a player is injured at the end of the day.

Injuries are announced publicly when they happen.

Exhaustion (and injury)
The first day will start with all players exhausted.

An exhausted player can take only 1 action. Exhaustion lasts for one day, and then expires.

A player that is both exhausted and injured may still take 1 action.

A player that is either exhausted or injured may still register 2 actions, but only one of them will function. If the player does not specify which one is "real", then the most recently cast action will be chosen. The actual actions taken will be shown accurately in the final tally.

While all players are publicly informed when a player is injured, they are never informed when a player is exhausted, or when or if they may have healed from an injury.

Faking Exhaustion: Players may fake exhaustion by PMing the mod with their intent to do so. Faking exhaustion allows a player to register two actions, and then have one of them fail, as if they were exhausted. You cannot both fake exhaustion and use a secret action in the same day.

Feints (Secret Actions)
Each player may register a single secret or conditional action with the mod, specifying which of their actions to change, what to change it to, and the conditions under which it will change. This is only executed at day end, and it will cause the user to become exhausted for the next day.

Other than the effects, there will be no indication that you performed a feint.

You cannot Feint in a way that would cause you to become exhausted more than once, or if you are already exhausted.

Spoiler: Elemental Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Additional Rules (click to show/hide)

Disclaimer: This game is highly experimental, and may be poorly balanced or not balanced at all. Those who can exploit the confusion to their advantage will likely thrive, regardless of what element they started with.

Disclaimer 2: Rule Zero is in effect: I reserve the right to alter the rules during the game in order to keep the game fun, interesting, and playable.

Players:
1. Nerjin
2. notquitethere
3. Griffinpup
4. RangerCado
5. Deathsword

Replacements List:
1. Tiruin

Spoiled Spectators:
1. TheWetSheep

Credit to notquitethere for the original idea, the structure of the OP, and inspiration garnered from playing the first iteration of his game.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:11:30 pm by Captain Ford »
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elements 2 - The Captain's Edition (2/5 with 2 reservations)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:48:34 am »

Reserved.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:54:56 am »

I added new abilities since the last time you've seen it, and tweaked the wording of some of them to fit better with other rule changes. Of particular note is the Saturate ability belonging to water, which is a very beautiful game-changer, if I may say so myself.

Also, I just realized I need to change Earth's new Crush ability, because it's really overpowered if he has an unstoppable killing ability. (Fixed now. It's still powerful, but just look at what earth has to give up in order to get it)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:04:51 pm by Captain Ford »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:04:00 pm »

I'll in on that fifth spot if you don't mind.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »

Sweet. OP updated. Just need confirmation from TWS and Tiruin if they want to play again.

If there's anything that seems off in the rules, please let me know. A lot of the possible exploits are intentional, but I imagine there's a few I missed.

Oh, also, I underlined it in the OP, but I'm thinking that all players will start the game exhausted.

The reason for this is pretty straightforward: With no quicktopics at the getgo, I think the game needs to have a decelerated start.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:15:40 pm by Captain Ford »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Elements 2 - The Captain's Edition (3/5 with 2 reservations)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:54:13 pm »

Rule clarification: am I right in thinking that Air can use their Immediate Relief ability when they are exhausted? Would this count towards their abilities-per-turn count? i.e., could Air unexhaust themselves and then take an active action in the same day?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »

Actions: Attack or Protect

None of the abilities count towards your action limit.

You can use all of your abilities in the same turn if you meet their requirements, but you cannot use an ability more than once per turn.

And yes, Air can use their relief ability on themselves to remove exhaustion.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 01:33:25 pm »

Ah, of course. I was conflating in my mind actions and abilities. Thanks for clearing that up.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:19 pm »

Hmm...I think I might allow anonymity in the quicktopics after all. Since they're targeted abilities now, one side will always know the other's identity, and it isn't as broken anymore. However, that would require some account juggling...

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »

Note that if either Tiruin or TWS don't feel like playing, anyone who signs up to be a replacement can get bumped up into their slots automatically.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 05:30:45 pm »

Well, I'd like to play, but I'm leaving Sunday and getting back June 1. So I'd have to wait until then.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:19 pm »

I'll sign up as a replacement.  I'm quite interested, and would like to play in this type of game!  ;D

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 05:40:00 pm »

Hmm...I was ready to start this up today if I get a full list. I'll put you into the replacement list, though. If no one else shows up in a week or so I'll drop you back in.

I'm sure there will be room in Elements 3 for you, though. ;)

PPE: Well, looks like I spoke too soon. Already someone has stepped up to fill your boots, it seems.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »

I'll sign up as a replacement.  I'm quite interested, and would like to play in this type of game!  ;D
Do you want me to put you right into Sheep's spot on the player list?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 05:42:05 pm »

I'll join! This looks like fun and i want to try it after reading NQT's one.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15