Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413612 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #765 on: July 08, 2013, 08:30:20 pm »

Again, weird, you are making a TON of incorrect assumptions, and the same ones we already made. It just doesn't work that way. Sorry.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:33 pm »

Again, weird, you are making a TON of incorrect assumptions, and the same ones we already made. It just doesn't work that way. Sorry.

You are misunderstanding; I am trying to draw an analogy, using specific exploits.

the analogy free version:

A constant effect shock damage of 10pt/sec on a common ring will kill NPCs and players in just a few seconds when worn. That would be equiv to several hundred volts at about 1 ampere. Enough to stop your heart cold in very short order, and enough to run a small electric scooter. A 100W supply (V*A==W) that weighs only a few grams, and can supply for an unlimited time is a very radical thing in my hands. For reference, a cattle prod runs on +5v, 2000mAh batteries. A stungun runs on a 9v consumer battery. If nothing else, I could make a stunlance of brutal heart stopping with such a thing, that literally blows chunks of skin off on contact. Unlimited charges.

If you allow more than 1 such enchantment per construction, a 10pt fire damage enchantment, and a 10pt frost damge enchantment can be directly integrated onto a sterling engine filled with say, water vapor. In terms of effective energy supplied, 1joule of energy is the amount needed to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree celcius. 10pt fire damage will burn and blister instantly, and crispify a normal npc in about 30 seconds tops. That is many thousands of joules of thermal energy. Likewise, frost damage of the same rating is enough to cause frostbite instantly, and freeze the body solid in the same 30 sec tops window. Combined on either side of a sterline engine, you would have the effective energy transfer from the thermal expansion and contraction of the working fluid on par with a really nice gasoline engine.  Say hello to the magic hotrod. Why fight the ash zombies, when you can just feed them a bumper sandwich, or engage the mechanical whirly chopping system on the car?

You could limit me by restricting my access to constant effect enchantments, but even the "on use" enchantments kickin around vvardenfel island would be radically OP in my hands. That's not counting the dangerous potential I would have just from my working practical knowledge with chemistry and explosives, even with the "heavy labware, dedicated installations" restrictions.

Limiting my ability to work by restricting my time and restricting cashflow would probably work better, but materials would have to be considerably rarer than depicted in game. I used to set myself "personal challenges" when playing, such as "make money only from picking useless ingredients and selling in bulk", and it still didn't work.  Walking from seyda neen to balmora, you realisticaly can pick 100 heather flowers on the way. I know. The GM would have to really crank down, and really think about how he wants to deal with oddjobs and money to effectively cut me down that way, and the same restrictions would apply to everyone else.

Then, you would have the story arc problems that somebody like me would present. Animunculi, chemical explosive packs, advanced metalurgical knowledge, and the other not so normal things in my head would be even more out of place in the setting portrayed, and would attract attention. I could very well make use of said CE shock core to drive an aluminium foundry, or just introduce the empire to volcanic ash concrete (the ingredients are EVERYWHERE. Plenty of limestone around the odai plateau, and more than enough ash in sheogorad region.). Either one would land me a permanent, well paying job. :D I tend to be very free with information, and would in all likelyhood, end up locked away in the equivalent of a skunkworks, or get abducted by the Telvanni, (or assasinated by the temple.)

Polymathy is not a common character trait, but I have it in spades. It is simply who I am. I really do wish that was just idle boasting, but it isn't. Trust me, I know how anomalous I am here in a technologically advanced society. In a medieval one, I would be a space alien. I am too OP. :(

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:20 pm »

I am too OP. :(

No such thing.

But, uh, don't go! We need your OPness! Also, uh, don't say that last sentence out loud.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #768 on: July 08, 2013, 10:28:30 pm »

This is not a suggestion, but worth considering for the future...

It just occurred to me that Morrowind has crossbows. It's worth noting that for someone with little strength, a crossbow is a remarkably efficient weapon. Historically, they overthrew the use of heavy metal armor because they allowed a few dozen peasants who'd had a month of basic training and a few scraps of wood to kill or otherwise defeat a knight with years of experience and training and full plate. Even bows, which required years of training to use effectively, weren't as powerful... though the actual energy released by the bow was higher, giving more range.

Anyway, Mike could do well to get a crossbow and support from range.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 08, 2013, 10:48:44 pm »

Agreed, but reloading times with a crossbow are problematical. All the rules of simple mechanical devices are at play.

A crossow made for a physically weak person would employ pulleys and a crank to ratchet back the bowstring for the next shot, but that suffers.  The number of cranks is inversely proportional to the energy needed to draw the bowstring. If he can only manage 1/10th the energy needed to draw the string, then the crank will take 10 turns to ratchet it back, at best.  A bow made for a stronger person may employ a lever action, and be quite speedy, but outside the ability of mike to draw.

Slow reloading time makes firing the crossbow more problematical unless employed in a regimented firing pattern, which is exactly what medieval crossbow squads did.

The ease of use and rapid fire ability of smaller bows was what made the mongols so devistating for their era, etc.

His choice of ranged weapon should reflect his strengths.

*for reference:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:03:08 pm by wierd »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 08, 2013, 10:58:25 pm »

Poison blow darts?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 08, 2013, 11:19:58 pm »

Low armor penetration, requires knowledge of poisons or access to dodgy apothecary (I don't know about morrowind.. but medieval european ones often swore oaths to never sell poisons). With the "dedicated labware" restriction, may be problematical. (Even though many botanical poisons can be extracted simply by mooshing and collecting the juice. Some are dangerous to handle and can seep through the skin though, like aconites. (Aka, wolfsbane, monkshood, jack in the pulpit, et al. Same plant.) Those can poison you in minutes just from walking barefoot on them.)

Blowtube probably would have to be made from a hollow reed of some kind. Precision tube manufacture wouldn't be available in that environment. Dry reed is notoriously brittle. I suppose telvanni mushroom tendril would suffice, if grown specifically for the purpose. That would be both smooth bored, and hard and woody.

Not saying impossible, but problematic.

Wristrocket would probably be more utilitarian.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:37 pm »

Jack-in-the-pulpit is actually a food... Is it both?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 08, 2013, 11:22:21 pm »

You are misunderstanding; I am trying to draw an analogy, using specific exploits.

And I was just pointing out you've made a number of statements where you assume things as fast that we know not to be the case. (That you only need a mortar and pestle, for example)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 08, 2013, 11:24:24 pm »

You guys missed the "pull back" style of crossbow. But then, we all know that (insert hot, fiery place)would freezing over before he could use one.
Highly Opinionated Fool

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:07 pm »

The constant effect thing exploiting magiphysics might work, but anything exploiting a mistyped integer in the game's global values won't.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 09, 2013, 12:23:03 am »

Shoot him in the knee with an arrow and steal his sweetroll.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:25:12 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 09, 2013, 02:44:49 am »

Jack-in-the-pulpit is actually a food... Is it both?

That's the problem with common names. Look how many different fruits are called "paw-paws"

In just the asimina genus, there are 8 species, all are "Paw paw".
Then you have the completely unrelated papayas, also called "paw paw" in their native languages.

Just in the aconite family, there are a very large number of species. All of them are "monks hoods", or "Wolf's bane". They all contain the same neurotoxic compounds, and are all quite deadly, though some more-so than others. The concentration of the compounds in each subspecies is academic. All are toxic enough to use to make poison with.

What is a jack in the pulpit one place, may not be the same plant at all in another, and still have the same name.  That is why scientific naming conventions were indisputably required during the scientific renaissance, and are the preferred nomenclature today.

I have heard of members of the aconite family being called jack in the pulpit in some instances, due to the structure of the pistil inside the flower. The members of the arum ("Peace Lilly") family are the most commonly associated with that name, because of the structure of the spadix inside the spathe. (the actual flower, inside the leaf-like floral canopy.) All it takes to cause confusion is just a few pieces of literature to use the term. (many books and treatises on apothecary arts from that period have wildly divergent names for the same species, or the same names for wildly divergent species!)

I don't blame you for being confused, or for asking for clarification.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 09, 2013, 02:52:47 am »

According to Wikipedia both can be eaten. Oh well. another case of "can kill and save".
Highly Opinionated Fool

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 09, 2013, 03:58:26 am »

That thing with the constant effect enchantments is totally something we should try.
Make a note to ask Strillian if he's any good at enchanting
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 161