Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524858 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #390 on: January 25, 2014, 02:39:27 am »

Among other things, yeah. I'd love to see something done with it, but frankly from what I saw just doing a mass change like that, going through and adjusting, well, basically everything, would be a hell of a task

And D4's spell list is... not exactly ordered, near as I can tell. You'd basically have to go through each and every spell individually, check if it's something that needs adjusting, adjust it, and... yeah. There's around 900 and a bit spells in D4 and they're just kinda' scattered about the spell IDs. Don't wanna' :P

E: Other things like Lemuria! Or ermor, I guess. But seriously:
Spoiler: Look at 'em go (click to show/hide)
E2:
Spoiler: Wheeee (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:28:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2014, 08:34:07 pm »

Dominions 4 is -50% off on Gamersgate (again). The sale should be on for the next six days. As usual the GG key can be redeemed for Steam if you want to link the game to your steam account.
Link.

It's great fun. Join us. Join uuuuuuus.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »

50% on steam for the week.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2014, 06:21:42 am »

So, question: I have Dominions 3.

Is there any real reason for me to get Dom4?
I mean, to be honest it sounds like its exactly the same game.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2014, 06:52:46 am »

So, question: I have Dominions 3.

Is there any real reason for me to get Dom4?
I mean, to be honest it sounds like its exactly the same game.

It's pretty much Dom3, only improved in every way. Whether you want to spend money on that or no is your decision. I'm still not sure whether I feel it was worth the money

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 25, 2014, 07:18:23 am »

There's a lot of improvements, changes and additions to various mechanics all over the game but the basics is still pretty much the same. However they're also continuing to update Dom4 as opposed to Dom3 which is done. If you can get it on sale especially I'd say it's definitely worth it if you enjoy the game.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 25, 2014, 08:08:49 am »

This came up in the 401 MP thread a while back:

It's not a revolutionary improvement. It's an evolutionary one. It's probably along the lines of Dom1->Dom2 in terms of scope. A lot of UI improvements, rule refinements and rebalancings, new mechanics (e.g. thrones, revamped fortresses, non-fortress recruitment for certain nations, poptype-based PD, etc. etc.), improved modding functionality, a number of new nations (EA Phoneticians and Babylonians, EA Machaka, MA Bogarus, Carrion Woods/Soulgate as freestanding nations, Oceania split in two), some new pretenders, a lot of enrichment to underground and underwater play (e.g., new native poptypes and summons, aquatic PD for non-aquatic nations), updated graphics for a lot of old units... It's mostly (mostly) small changes, but it's a lot of small changes. I'd say it's worth it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2014, 10:05:53 am »

As silly as it sounds I kind of wanted there to be even more pretenders then the 4th had, especially for the under water races.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2014, 02:04:52 pm »

Devlog mentions new pretenders for the next update if I understand it right, not sure exactly what they are though.

http://jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/dom4log.html
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2014, 02:26:17 pm »

As silly as it sounds I kind of wanted there to be even more pretenders then the 4th had, especially for the under water races.

I don't think it's silly at all.  I'm still hoping for an underwater revamp to match the cave revamp.  Pelagia and Oceania could do with some serious love; Oceania wasn't wonderful in Dom3, and the split did neither of them any real favours.  These nations and underwater pretenders in general both have a serious problem with path diversity (Water path isn't nearly the "win button" of Astral, Death, or Blood), and more pretenders could help quite a bit with that. 

Oh, and EA Rus. ^_^
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:28:23 pm by Culise »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:40 pm »

Devlog mentions new pretenders for the next update if I understand it right, not sure exactly what they are though.

Based on the names, Maharishi and Raksharani should be a great guru and a raksha queen. As for "Caelum gods", yeah, no idea. Presumably something Zoroastern. But the next patch looks like Caelum is getting a serious massaging, so it should be interesting.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 25, 2014, 02:34:56 pm »

I'm really excited about Caelum changes. I was a little surprised at how similar they were to Dom 3, but I guess I was comparing them to nations like Ermor that has schismed in to whole separate nations.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »

Based on the names, Maharishi and Raksharani should be a great guru and a raksha queen. As for "Caelum gods", yeah, no idea. Presumably something Zoroastern. But the next patch looks like Caelum is getting a serious massaging, so it should be interesting.

Awesome. As a fan of the birds, I wonder what kind of stuff Caelum is going to get? Slightly better mages would be nice start...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »

I couldn't help but notice that "seasonal mages" was added in the change log at the same time that the Caelum changes started popping up in there. So I'm kinda tempted to think there may be some coming of those for them.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 25, 2014, 02:50:50 pm »

I couldn't help but notice that "seasonal mages" was added in the change log at the same time that the Caelum changes started popping up in there. So I'm kinda tempted to think there may be some coming of those for them.

So maybe special mages that they can only recruit during the wintertime? That actually sounds pretty interesting. Depends on their paths though.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 236