Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should Zathel do on his turn?

Hook up FAILCANNON to magma sea (powered by a huge dwarven reactor).
- 11 (28.2%)
Build a castle over the fortress entrance.
- 11 (28.2%)
Flush all the grime from Battlefailed with carefully arranged sewage system.
- 7 (17.9%)
Construct opulent quarters for every dwarf in Battlefailed.
- 3 (7.7%)
Get rid of every Forgotten Beast using huge cave-in traps
- 7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: July 31, 2010, 02:35:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60

Author Topic: Battlefailed (Succession) Legendary Clusterf**k, free for all reclaim  (Read 597773 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefailed (Succession) Coastal Zombie Hellscape.
« Reply #360 on: June 21, 2010, 09:40:42 am »

I won't be able to play my turn. Please remove me from the list.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »

Too late, I've already changed your profession.

Eh, it fits. Excessive bureaucracy is madness, after all.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 21, 2010, 03:24:19 pm »

Great updates.  The Iron Vanguard comes through again!  And yeah, the tunnel of water near the magma is my fault.  Maybe you can use it to make obsidian?

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 22, 2010, 06:06:27 am »

Engraved on the wall is an image of dwarves and humans.  The dwarves are speaking with the humans.  The artwork relates to the visit of merchants from The Union of Reputations to The Oar of Ankles at Battlefailed in the late summer of 507.

Wonderfully uneventful summer.  Hauled some stuff, made some steel, hacked a few zombies apart to retrieve some things from the surface.  The well is active and the farmland muddied, but I haven't built farms or stills as we still have 612 drink and another 561 plants.  There are still some dwarves sleeping in the hospital and we don't have much of an export industry because I don't want to distract the haulers who are still carting stuff down.

Engraved on the wall is an image of 'Krimson II' Drilledchanneled the dwarf. 'Krimson II' Drilledchanneled is engraving. The artwork relates to the creation of the masterful engraving The Prophesy of Watches by the dwarf 'Krimson II' Drilledchanneled in Battlefailed in the early autumn of 507.

Construction of my personal quarters is coming along at a steady pace. I have a team of engravers who have been going at it for some months now, the best of whom are Krimson II and a lady dwarf named Cog Racksects who have produced a handful of masterful and plenty of exceptional pieces between them.

Engraved on the wall is an image of Zasit Zulbanokol the kitten. The kitten is falling.  The artwork relates to the passing of the kitten Zasit Zulbanokol in Battlefailed in the late autumn of 507.

I was doing a brief dry-run test of the defense system before the reservior filled to make sure the mechanisms had hooked up properly. The moment the lever was pulled, somebodies pet kitten stepped onto the bridge.
I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Engraved on the wall is an image of 'Melkorp' Goldthunder the dwarf and Asno Ongnongom the goblin. Asno Ongnongom is shooting 'Melkorp' Goldthunder. The artwork relates to the killing of the dwarf 'Melkorp' Goldthunder by the goblin Asno Ongnongom in Battlefailed in the late autumn of 507.

An ambush popped up while a mason was out collecting something from a dead caravan. The bowgoblins let lose a hail of arrows at him, he didn't stand a chance. He was due to oversee the fort in a few months, too. Oh well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Soldiers charged up the stairs to meet the ambush party head-on. First on the scene was none other than Kikrost the Iron Vanguard fresh out of hospital, who charged in alone and beat the macegoblin squad leader into the ground.

Meanwhile the caravan appeared on the horizon, only to run into another three goblin ambush squads. The guards ran straight into the fray.

By the time the locals had finished up the first squad and advanced to the surface, the caravan guards had all but annhilated the goblins. The militia did a quick clean-up of a few skeletal rhesus macaques that were nipping at the heels of the merchant donkeys and everyone came inside for drinks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:51:03 am by TurkeyXIII »
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 22, 2010, 06:57:39 pm »

Neat.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »

Struck down by goblins.  I bet I was ecstatic about it. 
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 24, 2010, 01:24:20 am »

Engraved on the wall is an image of Kikrost Ropelion the Geared Homage of Fur the dwarf.  Kikrost Ropelion the Geared Homage of Fur is dead.  The artwork relates to the drowning of the dwarf Kikrost Ropelion the Geared Homage of Fur in Battlefailed in the late winter of 507.

A couple of skelks were hanging around the edge of the cliff spooking haulers who were trying to retrieve stuff from a dead caravan.  Unworried, I sent up the main squad to put an end to the problem.  Our resident Iron Vanguard arrived and started hacking them in half one by one - and then promptly dodged into the ocean.  RIP Kikrost, you will be sorely missed.  But not by the dwarves.  They're too busy admiring the trade depot.

Engraved on the wall is an image of Athel Sabrepunched the Shameful Road of Smiths the dwarf and Bax Blackhobbled the goblin.  Athel Sabrepunched the Shameful Road of Smiths is striking down Bax Blackhobbled.  The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Bax Blackhobbled by the dwarf Athel Sabrepunched the Shameful Road of Smiths in Battlefailed in the late winter of 507.

I wasn't expecting goblins in a season without a trade caravan to beat up, but I already had soldiers near the surface from the de-elking exercise mentioned above.  Willing to take advantage of the fact the bowgoblins elected to shoot nearby zombie muskoxen instead, I gave the order to charge.  All but two soldiers ran inside to grab provisions.

Thanks largely to the new steel mail armor, they held their own until the militia commander arrived.  Two more ambush squads appeared to the south, but they were kept busy with more of the local wildlife.

Undead rhesus macaques jumped into the fray, but a quick battle allowed our soldiers to charge south to the remaining goblins.

Victory, and only a few minor injuries.

Finally it's time to leave.  Most of my projects for the year ended ahead of schedule, so the haulers spent the last few months rearranging furniture.  I'll upload in a few mins when  I figure out how to use the upload site...

...and done.  File is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2574
I've been using 31.08 so you'll probably need that version or later to load it.

Note for the next overseer:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:07:10 am by TurkeyXIII »
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 24, 2010, 07:58:26 am »

Unkillable? Theres no such thing. Everything dies if you drop a few dozen tons of rock on their heads. Setting up a cave-in trap is a lot of work but is certainly doable.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 24, 2010, 08:27:00 am »

My Cavebrands and Battlefailed turns have both come up today.  I could do a crossover... (Mad cackling.  Catches breath)  Downloading.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 24, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »

I have no idea what a crossover would be, but I'm perfectly fine with one. Do whatever is interesting and try to not die.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 24, 2010, 11:06:36 pm »

I think at this point only two things could kill battlefailed; digging adamantium or letting the diamond slug in.  Unless something else goes horribly wrong.  Let's hope it does  :P

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2010, 01:06:09 am »

I'm Melkorp Goldthunder: one happy camper, and that's a fact.  Thirsty and miserable from wrestling the same rotting elk for five months straight?  No, I'm ecstatic: had a decadent drink once.  Openly weeping because my wife Id's just been trampled to death by rotting horses?  'Mok no, friend, I'm all smiles: admired another Trade Depot. 

Now, some dwarves might tell you Melkorp's a few pieces short of a puzzlebox, or a little slow, but I've always felt right at home in Battlefailed. 

Until now.  Today, something's...off.   

Hey, what am I doing out here past the gate anyway?

Ash, bones, junk, blood.  Nothing wrong here!  Well: more severed monkey hands than usual, but.

All these pillars I never got around to engraving.  Hmm.  Wait, where is everybody?  Creiyd?  Kagus?

The Overseer's room, it's been ransacked or something...empty.  Coffins lining the Deep Road.
At the second turning I stop, compelled to move towards a shale casket...
Something about it...reach out to lift the lid

All of a sudden I don't feel so good

Hmm.  I guess that explains all these. 
     (Twangs a ghostly goblin arrow embedded in ghostly neck, thinks) 
How do I feel about this?

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2010, 10:59:00 am »

Rereading my posts it occured to me that in my hurry to get finished in a week, I missed a fair bit of detail from my turn.  I went back and edited in a few things that might fill some blanks.

Engraved on the wall is an image of 'Melon' Letterseized the dwarf and dwarves. The dwarves are refusing 'Melon' Letterseized. 'Melon' Letterseized looks dejected. The artwork relates to the removal of the dwarf 'Melon' Letterseized the dwarf from the position of chief medical dwarf of the Oar of Ankles in the early spring of 507.

I had some rearranging to do, as Melon was our best weaponsmith. He was replaced by a dwarf named Goden Flagthrowers who posessed some suturing skill. Oglokoog SnarledFenced was taken off mining for a similar reason, to become an armorer. I also condensed the militia into one squad for simplicity, led by Samrist (I think).
Engraved on the wall is an image of 'Krimson II' Drilledchanneled the dwarf. 'Krimson II' Drilledchanneled is engraving. The artwork relates to the creation of the masterful engraving The Prophesy of Watches by the dwarf 'Krimson II' Drilledchanneled in Battlefailed in the early autumn of 507.

Construction of my personal quarters is coming along at a steady pace. I have a team of engravers who have been going at it for some months now, the best of whom are Krimson II and a lady dwarf named Cog Racksects who have produced a handful of masterful and plenty of exceptional pieces between them.

Engraved on the wall is an image of Zasit Zulbanokol the kitten. The kitten is falling.  The artwork relates to the passing of the kitten Zasit Zulbanokol in Battlefailed in the late autumn of 507.

I was doing a brief dry-run test of the defense system before the reservior filled to make sure the mechanisms had hooked up properly. The moment the lever was pulled, somebodies pet kitten stepped onto the bridge.
I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 26, 2010, 11:55:39 am »

I'm going to quote this.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2010, 03:48:26 pm »

At least Melkorp died happy.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60