Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526279 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #870 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:46 pm »

A friend and I want to play together, and since we would be skyping and the like, we would want to have a direct connect.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:26 am »

A friend and I want to play together, and since we would be skyping and the like, we would want to have a direct connect.

Well like Delta says above, that's pretty straightforward to set up. You need to open a second instance of Dominions on your machine to run the server, and then as long as you can handle the port forwarding, it's pretty easy.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 10, 2014, 01:19:33 am »

About the nationgen game, I'm more and more voluntary to play it.
I did a few tests yesterday with nationgen and ended with some weird combinations : Hoburgs with some mounted ones on giant flying bats, sacred units that have a fire-elemental dying shape, a nation with both atlantians and abysian, for maximum temperature play, mages that can polymorph in size5 crabs, ...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:36 am »

I'm tempted to wait around october/november, there's an ok chance that 408 will either end or have shifted to a longer endgame turn cycle by then. Either would make it more easy for me to pick up a new match.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 15, 2014, 04:16:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Opinions on this Ur pretender?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 15, 2014, 04:29:27 pm »

Looks pretty damn excellent to me, with nice minor blesses for your mages and a good SC when she awakes. I'm a bit leery of taking 2 Misfortune myself, it can get rather depressing quickly, but if you think you can handle it go ahead.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 15, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »

Not totally comfortable with it myself, but with all other scales being positive, the effects shouldn't be too harsh.
I guess I could swap some scales around and get it to 1. Or I could use this situation to see how bad higher amounts of misfortune really are.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 15, 2014, 04:53:29 pm »

I took Misfortune 2 once. It's not crippling by any means, but... it's rare that you get a good event. Generally you lose gold, get cursed and sometimes suffer invasions by Indies. So not entirely terrible, but random events are definitely going to make you mad.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 15, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »

I'd probably go with magic-0 and misfortune-1, but overall that looks like a dependably workable Ur pretender. Can't really give specific pointers as I've never properly played Ur. A4E4 on a pretender is all sorts of good, even if there's some national path overlap. Elemental royalty, booster access, great SC paths, she's a package all right.

I could definitely play that and be happy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 15, 2014, 05:20:23 pm »

Yeah, I'd echo the mistrust of higher misfortune. On the net it usually isn't that bad, from what I've seen, but it adds a definite extra level of micromanagement (and/or higher investment in PD) to get by with. And that "not that bad" tends to be on a more... statistical level? I guess you could say? It's easy to run the numbers and say, "It has this or that % chance to do such and such" (such as run down your available gold by blowing up temples and labs and entire provinces), but in the field that can translate into a very direct "You just got hard screwed by losing a lab at a critical moment*" or something along those lines. And then there's needing to keep priests/casters/etc. on tap just to handle the bad luck explosions... it can get nasty, or at least very inconvenient. High order keeps it on the down low, a bit, but it doesn't make it go away (and gods help you if one of your enemies is able to artificially raise turmoil and cottons on to the possibility.).

I'd personally consider the dom a little high for someone without major blessings, too, but that's a to-taste thing. Dropping a point or two from dominion and either picking up the minor N bless or cutting out some misfortune would be more to my own taste. Having dominion high just for the dominion spread always feels a little wasteful. Your sacreds are still pretty decent if you're intending to use 'em, though, even if the blessing isn't going to do terrible much for 'em, so if you were intending to mass up chosen it would be helpful-ish. "Massing" the sirrush would both be financially ruinous and a hideous waste without a stronger bless, imo -- N9, at the very least. That much gold per critter and you can't let it be something that's going to go down relatively easy.

Only other potential worry I'd have is what you'd be getting out of its paths -- Ur looks like it already has pretty decent E/N access,** and you've got the casters to manage most of the low-tier air battle spells as well... 4A for boosters is actually a pretty good idea (then you could have a mass of 3A casters, for happy fun zappy time), but I'd arguably want to swap that N out for blood (which would entail a chassis switch, iirc, but blood stones***) or somethin'. And now I notice the main point of the 4A/E -- I keep forgetting the staves are a thing.

As for SC potential, I'd almost suggest taking the Annuki of the Morning Star, instead, with basically the same paths except 3S instead of 3N -- despite the lack of innate awe (which is kinda' meh -- plenty of stuff ignores awe in D4), she's arguably more SC-capable (has boot slot and already flies) and while the S would leave her vulnerable to duals, the lack of S leaves your entire nation vulnerable to Mind Hunt -- and let me tell you, a decent mind hunt assault on your capital or something else important would leave you in metaphorical tears, heh. That would depend on your opponents, though... if you've got a high S nation in the fight with you, I'd almost certainly suggest a pretender with at-least S3, to keep the mind hunts away. Otherwise, more flexibility in what can be built. E: Morning Star would actually let you squeak in a minor astral bless, with the exact same dominion and scales.

*Oh hey, your throne castle under siege just had its lab go up in flames. You can't bring in more supply items. Or summon things to shore up the walls. Welp :V Sure, there's no guarantee something like that will happen, but you know what they say about murphy...
**Actually tops out at 4 or 5, on rare shaman, with around a 1/3rd chance of a 3E or 4N -- guaranteed 3N, which makes the 3N on your pretender somewhat of a waste of points. Would be like taking 3S on a MA R'yleh pretender, which you probably don't want to do.
***And the ability to basically make your every E random shaman an E5 caster. E6, if you grab up the staves of elemental mastery as well. You can do nasty things with a handful of E6 casters >_>
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:55:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 15, 2014, 05:31:08 pm »

Can't really give specific pointers as I've never properly played Ur.

Neither can I, though Ur is a pretty straightforward nation. Sal-Mes are your researchers, Ensis are your generals, recruit anywhere units are crap, apply buffs everywhere and season liberally with Shamans. Ur is a bit like Pangea on the battlefield, in that you have strong Earth/Nature magic and so you want to buff your units like crazy and let them do most of the damage. And I guess they're like Pan off the battlefield too, except for the fact that they lack seducers and their recruit anywhere units are terrible and/or overpriced. Except perhaps the Hunters, which could be good ranged units with Giant's Strength + Wind Guide. Highly accurate javelins with acceptable range and great damage sounds deadly to me.

"Massing" the sirrush would both be financially ruinous and a hideous waste without a stronger bless, imo -- N9, at the very least. That much gold per critter and you can't let it be something that's going to go down relatively easy.

If I remember correctly, you can only recruit one Sirrush every two turns. Which is for a size-6 unit with 80 HP, 15 Protection and 9 defense and no trample. If Sirrushes could trample I'd probably consider them, simply because sacred tramplers sounds pretty damn deadly. But for a horribly expensive unit that's hard physically impossible to amass? No way. You're much better off spending your gold on 5 Enki's Chosen. More HP, better defense, more attacks, and shields to help against arrows.

(which would entail a chassis switch, iirc, but blood stones***)

Damn straight. My only regret playing Ur was having 2 Slave Markets (6 free blood slaves a turn) and the game ending before I could forge Blood Stones. I got as far as empowering a lucky D-random Shaman, and then Oceania blitzed enough thrones to the game. This was all completely by accident, by the way, which made it all the more aggravating.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 16, 2014, 03:10:09 am »

Misfortune 2
I can go with Misfortune one, but I took it because your research as Ur isn't very good (your researchers aren't great, your fortresses are very expensive and slow to build) and that for a nation that can use a lot of spells across all schools.
Although Magic 1 will probably don't change that.

high Dominion
I've got two high scales and spreading dominion into the territory of a conquered players takes forever.

magic paths
For Staves, boosters and the minor blesses.

Annuki of the Morning Star
This was actually my original pretender, but I dropped him due to point issues (which I found a solution for right now). While S5 gives you a good shot for boosters and mid to lategame rituals, I'm not sure how much you'll be able to use those, considering you have no native S income.
Also while Awe is pretty good, Boots of Quickness might be even better.

recruit anywhere units are crap
The longbows are quite nice.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 16, 2014, 07:05:00 am »

Sorry for the doublepost, but it's somewhat urgent.

Got the following interaction event as LA Man in a PBEM:
It is rumored that the Old Ways have not left this land.
I assume I have to patrol that province with a Magister Arcane.
Anybody knows what the outcome is? Do I have to expect attacks or assassination attempts related to it?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 16, 2014, 07:12:31 am »

The longbows are quite nice.

They're 17 gold each, take 7 resources to recruit and can only be gotten in places without forts so they are really hard to amass. Which is to say that they're total crap, but I'd probably use indie archers instead. They do use shortbows, but they're cheaper and easier to amass, which is critical for a ranged unit.

(your researchers aren't great, your fortresses are very expensive and slow to build)

Pretty much. Though Sal-Mes are surprisingly cheap for what they are. 100 gold for giant priest-mages is not expensive at all and would make some other nations jealous, though getting enough fortresses to capitalize on that is going to be rather hard.

-snip-

Never got that event before, sorry. Partly because I never played Man before, and partly because story events always seem so damned rare.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 16, 2014, 10:16:34 am »

Sorry for the doublepost, but it's somewhat urgent.

Got the following interaction event as LA Man in a PBEM:
It is rumored that the Old Ways have not left this land.
I assume I have to patrol that province with a Magister Arcane.
Anybody knows what the outcome is? Do I have to expect attacks or assassination attempts related to it?
I think I got that event once; if I recall, I personally got a new commander (no spoiler) out of it, but I think there were penalties up to and including an attack if you roll badly enough on the event, the chances of which are also affected by not sending the prompted commanders (e.g., send a magister of theology or some other kid instead of a full magister arcane, or send nothing at all). 
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 236