Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526397 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1440 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:34 am »

So now that I have Dom 4 I'm having that silly issue where I can't seem to do anything because I want to try ALL THE THINGS, and thus end up doing a lot of nothing.

All I have actually accomplished so far is discovering that Caelum and Kailasa are the only EA nations with ranged sacreds (and thus the only thing worth using the new air bless on)

Basically I'm being very spoiled for choice and my random flailing at the depths of this game isn't getting me anywhere yet :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: September 01, 2015, 11:21:31 am »

If you have a perverse sense of humor (and are more concerned with that than practicality), play Kailasa or suchlike with an air bless and give a 4-armed unit with strength boots, a bear claw, and jade scale four fire bolas. 8 long-range, high-accuracy shots per round, and 50 ammo. Alternately, do that with a blood bless. Or a fire or death bless. Or mix and match!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:18 pm »

All I have actually accomplished so far is discovering that Caelum and Kailasa are the only EA nations with ranged sacreds (and thus the only thing worth using the new air bless on)
Maggggggge-priiiiiieesssssstttttsssss
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 01, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »

Good job guysgoats

Indeed, I do this.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 01, 2015, 10:37:47 pm »

So now that I have Dom 4 I'm having that silly issue where I can't seem to do anything because I want to try ALL THE THINGS, and thus end up doing a lot of nothing.

Basically I'm being very spoiled for choice and my random flailing at the depths of this game isn't getting me anywhere yet :P

It's what I've done while learning the game. It's the type where I think you need to push through a few games, lose horribly and learn from your mistakes a few times. Like learning Dwarf Fortress in a way.

Watching a few LP's helped as well. I at least understand enough now to wish that I could stop my archers from firing at enemies when my melee units are engaging them or chasing them down.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 01, 2015, 10:54:53 pm »

Watching a few LP's helped as well. I at least understand enough now to wish that I could stop my archers from firing at enemies when my melee units are engaging them or chasing them down.
That's the "Fire" command, instead of "fire and keep distance". They'll try not to shoot if there's friendlies in the way, and go into melee when they're out of ammo or options.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:56:49 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:12 am »

So, is their any circumstance where you would use thugs (or in general, non-SC commanders equipped with combat gear if thug somehow doesn't cover that) as frontliners in a pitched battle instead of raiders?  I keep trying to think of designs only to think "this would die in one hit to any given attack spell".  It seems like a *fun* strategy but I have a hard time imagining it as a practical one.

The only real defense I can think of for a frontliner against evocations in general is a major blood bless.  But a blood bless runs counter to the general mantra of thugs (defense is key).  Plus, blood bless usually wants health boost bless, and if you're at the point where you have B9N9/B9D9, a half-dozen sacreds and an indy priest is effectively a thug anyway...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 02, 2015, 01:49:22 am »

Some of the giant commanders, perhaps? Most of the size 5 and 6 ones seem to have MR around 18 to begin with and those would be good at trampling if you gave them boots of the behemoth, and hard to kill conventionally if you gave them rings of regen. Or you could give them a weapon and arrange to give them awe or fear. (They'd still be vulnerable to massed soul slay, or mind hunters, or enslave, etc, of course.)

Astral 9 gives MR+3 and twist fate. It also lets you cast wish, which is probably far more powerful. :P

Would blood vengeance even trigger if your thug were mind-controlled?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 02, 2015, 05:33:37 am »

It's what I've done while learning the game. It's the type where I think you need to push through a few games, lose horribly and learn from your mistakes a few times. Like learning Dwarf Fortress in a way.

Well I had Dom 3 long enough to have a general idea of what I'm doing, I'm less overwhelmed by the game itself as all the OOOO NEW STUFF that came with the new number :P

Also, just saw the "press ? to see list of commands" tip yesterday and holy hell that should be hardcoded as the first tip the game gives you. I can't believe I never thought to do that on my own, and now everything seems so damn SIMPLE.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:35:28 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 02, 2015, 03:08:58 pm »

Would blood vengeance even trigger if your thug were mind-controlled?
No, its a 1:1 damage thing.  No red numbers appear, no red numbers bounce back.  I do believe that Soul Slay, which technically does 999 damage instead of being an instant kill effect, should be able to bounce back the instant kill.

Not that it really matters, in a normal research MP game it would take most players so long to get out MC effects that I would probably have some counter or other strategy available.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 04, 2015, 08:31:28 am »

So what are you guys favorite magic paths? Mine is definitely Nature.

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 04, 2015, 08:54:20 am »

... all of them :V

Don't really have a favorite path. Going pure... anything... would be a total pain in the behind. Except maybe blood but running a blood economy is a total nuisance >_>

Definitely like some of the nature spells, though. GoH is golden. Kelpmaker is occasionally useful. Other stuff in there, too. Just don't really like its combat spells (barring I guess the buffs, but the good/easily usable ones are all high research and uggh), or most of its summons.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 04, 2015, 10:02:30 am »

I'll give you the lack of combat spells, but that's kinda not the paths focus.
I think nature is a fairly ritual focused path, and rituals are what I tend to use. Granted I'm probably doing roughly all the things wrong, but hey, its what I know.

Plus I'm a total whore for health regen, so that affects the verdict there a bit :P

Oh, and just a quick aside: Am I the only one annoyed that the random maps are wraparound now? The way this game does it is just so terrible and ugly BLEGH
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:06:12 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 04, 2015, 10:15:02 am »

The only nation I could play with any sort of "I know what I'm doing... kinda" is Pangaea, so nature magic and me get along very well. Regens and buffs are my friend :)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:13 pm »

Oh, and just a quick aside: Am I the only one annoyed that the random maps are wraparound now? The way this game does it is just so terrible and ugly BLEGH
Gametools->RandomMapCreator
You can uncheck wraparound.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 236