Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526339 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1590 on: October 09, 2015, 08:09:33 am »

So are there ANY good counters to Seeking Arrow?
1.Forge and equip missile protection equipment. It's cheap.
2.cast Perpetual Storm global - the violent winds interfere with seeking arrows, IIRC.
3.I don't remember how the arrows work exactly, but if they do make an armour check, just equip heavier armour on your commanders. Missile protection items would be cheaper, though.

4.remote-kill the mages you're suspecting of casting the arrows.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 09, 2015, 08:12:47 am »

Speaking of seeking arrows, I'm firing a bunch of them at someone right now, but can't see how well they're working.

My opponent has a whopping 65 PD on the province I've been targetting, and catches every scout I send instantly - and for some reason scrying on it doesn't show the result.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 09, 2015, 10:39:28 am »

Right now my only real answer to the massive swarms of instalose is "throw more commanders at it" and that seems counterproductive.

Actually, it's not. A pile of chaff commanders is very expensive, but if you don't have any other option it makes flattening your commanders with arrows a lot more expensive for them, too (especially if they take more than one hit to kill) and also less reliable.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 09, 2015, 10:48:37 am »

Right now my only real answer to the massive swarms of instalose is "throw more commanders at it" and that seems counterproductive.

Actually, it's not. A pile of chaff commanders is very expensive, but if you don't have any other option it makes flattening your commanders with arrows a lot more expensive for them, too (especially if they take more than one hit to kill) and also less reliable.

Additionally, commanders cost gold, while seeking arrow costs gems.  50 gold for 4 gems?  I'd take that deal!

Plus, the time that your enemy spends casting Seeking Arrow is time spent not forging, researching, site searching, or anything else that will improve their nation.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 09, 2015, 12:19:53 pm »

Speaking of seeking arrows, I'm firing a bunch of them at someone right now, but can't see how well they're working.

My opponent has a whopping 65 PD on the province I've been targetting, and catches every scout I send instantly - and for some reason scrying on it doesn't show the result.

That almost certainly means that they have nothing but PD there.  PD automatically patrols, and doesn't always show up on scouting reports.  Unfortunately, seeking arrows does jack shit against PD.

Instead of scrying, just sneak+attack with a scout.  That'll tell you what you need to know.

If you can, scry or scout every province that could reinforce it with mapmove 2.  If there's something there, arrow it.  If there's nothing there, you just need to get a force together that can beat a near limitless number of PD on the first try.  Shouldn't be TOO hard in the grand scheme of things.

Alternate plan: ignore the province.  65 PD is a huge waste of money.  Even if it means they can't be attacked, they effectively did the same damage to themselves that wiping out an army or two would do.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 09, 2015, 02:55:25 pm »

It's a fort and they're blood hunting there. I can see the population dropping and they don't have death scales (and they're Abysia and throwing demons at me and such). They also have some demons also on patrol there, to keep their blood-hunting unrest down - they show up when they catch my scouts.

Since it's a fort, though, the sneak+attack won't show me anything different.

I could still take out the PD, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 09, 2015, 04:14:29 pm »

Is there any way to get accuracy without eye of accuracy? cant  waste misc slot, as my pretender certainly needs 3 bows of war or six fire bolas.
Death / fire weapons bless spreads on bows?
I had magic resistant eater of dead with 405 hp regen per turn + flying shield+ ark + it is prophet, and now this thing turned on the way to my capital after genociding lizards. WHAT TO DO? Any attempt to stop it ends up with making several hundreds hp stronger.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 09, 2015, 04:20:46 pm »

Is there any way to get accuracy without eye of accuracy? cant  waste misc slot, as my pretender certainly needs 3 bows of war or six fire bolas.
I had magic resistant eater of dead with 405 hp regen per turn + flying shield+ ark + it is prophet, and now this thing turned on the way to my capital after genociding lizards. WHAT TO DO? Any attempt to stop it ends up with making several hundreds hp stronger.

Aim spell?
Yes, and its hilariously awesome
Seeking Arrow spam? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 09, 2015, 04:22:12 pm »

If the pretender has N, he can self cast Eagle Eyes. An air mage on the same or adjacent square can cast Aim to buff him instead.

How high is the MR on that eater? Even mid 20's can be instakilled with a little persistence.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 09, 2015, 04:26:06 pm »

Yeah, I'd probably go with mind hunting (with soul slay). Vengeance of the dead might work too, if enough souls accumulate to last until autorout.(nope, doesn't work on undead)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: October 09, 2015, 04:39:08 pm »

It's a fort and they're blood hunting there. I can see the population dropping and they don't have death scales (and they're Abysia and throwing demons at me and such). They also have some demons also on patrol there, to keep their blood-hunting unrest down - they show up when they catch my scouts.

Since it's a fort, though, the sneak+attack won't show me anything different.

I could still take out the PD, of course.
Ah... remote kill the province population then?  If you can get it below 650 the PD will start going away.  If you can get it below 5000 the province will be mostly useless for blood hunting.  Maybe... hurricane would do that?  I'm not entirely sure what hurricane does.  Failing that, enough remote unrest could have a similar effect.

Weird about the scrying.  Maybe they have an army size reducer or something.  Or enough demons relative to blood hunters that the blood hunters don't warrant mentioning in the army summary.

I would be careful attacking that PD stack.  If you don't kill it, you're back to square one.  And they might anticipate and defend.  Going around would really be ideal.

That is HILARIOUS by the way.  Like something that would happen to the bad guys in a fantasy novel (which let's be honest, is who we play as in Dominions).

Anyway, just spam undead at it until it autoroutes and take the province behind it so it dies from having nowhere to retreat to.  You'll need a LOT of undead unfortunately because of trample, but if you could create that monster a bunch of longdeads should be downright pedestrian by comparison.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 09, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »

Empower someone to cast Infernal Prison on it and pray it doesn't break out. :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 09, 2015, 05:25:47 pm »

Anyway, just spam undead at it until it autoroutes and take the province behind it so it dies from having nowhere to retreat to.  You'll need a LOT of undead unfortunately because of trample, but if you could create that monster a bunch of longdeads should be downright pedestrian by comparison.

If you want to do it more directly, just bring a couple of decent undead summoners and a communion with 6-8 (or more!) Soul Slay or Disintegrate casters. If it's taking 6-8 MR checks per round, it will fail one eventually. As long as its MR is below 30 or so, anyway, though even then you could get lucky.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:54 pm »

That is HILARIOUS by the way.  Like something that would happen to the bad guys in a fantasy novel (which let's be honest, is who we play as in Dominions).
And this is why I love playing Dominions. All those damn RPGs and such where "magic" means "fireballs and lightning bolts" and maybe if the devs were feeling fancy "invisibility/flight/teleporting/any utility spell that is infinitely more useful then fireballs"

Meanwhile the BAD GUYS in those same games (and oftentimes miscellaneous NPCs in such games) get to do the really world changing shit and all you can think of is "boy, sure wish *I* could do interesting shit like that"

And then here comes Dominions and you get to blot out the sun and raise armies of undead and such.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: October 10, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »

Desintegrate/ soul slay/ ethereal crossbow were doing just 13 damage, then some guy
banished thing to kokytos, it returned, banished it to hell, it returned, bit sending  it to the void worked out( pantokrator knew how to solve problems)
One tartrarian decided to build mausoleum, what will it give?
Is there a way to cure tartarians?
The guy with void rod sometimes starts searching for rlyeh/ waiting for stars to come in right position, wow, dominions 4 4 best fluff in vydia ever.

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 236