Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524827 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1650 on: October 24, 2015, 05:21:08 pm »

If you have a nation like MA Agartha that has a ton of avoidbadevents units it's not the worst thing ever. Having said that, I tried it once in MP and pretty much swore it off in perpetuity, so my words ring kinda hollow...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 24, 2015, 05:24:35 pm »

I always take luck, because getting good events is all I'm really playing this game for. Feels like Christmas every single time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 24, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »

I guess I could sorta' see it if you're playing one of those hyperaggressive bless nations that crush the entire map before turn 20 and just outrun your own dominion? I'd rather just take death scales or some heat/cold or... anything but misfortune, really. Seem to recall that some people swear by order/misfortune, but I've tried that and it... doesn't really help. Plus there's some really good beneficial order events.

I'unno, mostly it just seems to add an element of RNG to the game that is incredibly risky. Extra points can give you an edge, obviously enough, but you're counting on the bad events to not be ruinous and, well... putting a(n even) large(r) part of your success in the game in the hands of Dom4's RNG is not exactly what I'd call desirable. It likes to kill people.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 25, 2015, 05:36:02 am »

Bards can seduce heart companions, hue.
Dont know if it is a bug, but with cat charm bards become femenine enough to seduce male commanders. And with bear claw charm female seducers sometimes succeed in seducing other female commanders.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 25, 2015, 06:32:03 am »

It's a feature ;)
It's even implicited by the items' description, IIRC.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 25, 2015, 07:45:21 am »

OH SO *THAT'S* WHAT THAT MEANT

Been wondering that since Dom3
Also that is REALLY clever.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: October 25, 2015, 07:49:53 am »

I think Cat charms on female seducers (and bear claws on male seducers) increase the chances of seduction, too (as opposed to simple assassination).
I know it did before the seduction chances patch, but don't know if they kept that feature (though it would be logical they did).

PS : By the way, browsing through NationGen results, I found something weird (E.Albright, it may concerns you ) :
One of the nations I generated had sacred units who "shapeshifts into a great boar when damaged". The thing is, they're a Ichtyid nation, so everybody is amphibious, including the sacred. But, according to the inspector, the Great Boar when shapechanging is not amphibious. I don't know whether they should, but it seems weird anyway :)
Natgen version 0.6.7; setting code: 6; Nation 120: Yasnom generated with seed 1079984541
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:38:33 am by IWishIWereSarah »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 25, 2015, 12:27:28 pm »

It's a semi-issue. If the unit takes lethal damage underwater, they'll turn into a boar and immediately re-die; problem "solved". OTOH, I could see an argument for not giving that shapeshift filter to amphibious units, or adding amphibian to the list of attributes that are copied to shapechange forms. For now, I'm inclined to leave it as-is, but I'll give it some thought.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 26, 2015, 11:28:49 am »

Death + nature bless is nice.

How the blood bless damage works?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 26, 2015, 12:48:32 pm »

When you take damage, the attacker rolls MR against 10 (or possibly 12, but I think 10), and if they fail they take AN damage equal to the damage they inflicted on you. That's the rough idea, anyway; there are nuances involved.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 26, 2015, 01:59:42 pm »

So by mixing stuff like flagellants with other troops I can deny enemy usage of evocations?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 26, 2015, 02:23:03 pm »

You can make them riskier and/or costlier, yes. However, because BV is MR-based, high MR mages and/or those with solid MR gear can largely ignore it, especially if they have high HP and/or regen to make the occasional inevitable failure less disastrous. It's a good counter to hordes of low-cost mages engaging in evo spam, though.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:23 pm »

You can make them riskier and/or costlier, yes. However, because BV is MR-based, high MR mages and/or those with solid MR gear can largely ignore it, especially if they have high HP and/or regen to make the occasional inevitable failure less disastrous. It's a good counter to hordes of low-cost mages engaging in evo spam, though.

Only if they're not casting high-end evos. A mage casting Fire Storm on a Flagellant zerg with BV is pretty much going to die, even if their MR is 24+. It is highly effective against strategies that are relying on mass destruction battle spells because the type of mages that can tank that are end-game summons; and in an MP game you probably aren't getting access to them if you raced for high-end evos.

The problem with B9 bless isn't its anti-mage effectiveness, it's that it tends to be a big waste of design points: The Pretender buff sucks, it's not a good choice for site searching, and you don't get much in the way of battlefield help from it... all so you can run a one-trick pony strategy based around hoping that most of your army gets killed by the right enemy.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 26, 2015, 03:38:32 pm »

24 is not the same as 29 - not by a long shot. As a quick test, I took an MR-29 Debug Sensai and had it cast Fire Storm on a horde of 280 B9 sacreds. The sacreds routed, and the DS never took a single hit.

I suspect you've never tried dealing with really obscene MRs - when you've seen a single unit laugh off 20-30 boosted Disintegrates per turn for 50+ turns, you gain some respect for what MR stacking can really do.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 26, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »

I guess I could sorta' see it if you're playing one of those hyperaggressive bless nations that crush the entire map before turn 20 and just outrun your own dominion? I'd rather just take death scales or some heat/cold or... anything but misfortune, really. Seem to recall that some people swear by order/misfortune, but I've tried that and it... doesn't really help. Plus there's some really good beneficial order events.

I'unno, mostly it just seems to add an element of RNG to the game that is incredibly risky. Extra points can give you an edge, obviously enough, but you're counting on the bad events to not be ruinous and, well... putting a(n even) large(r) part of your success in the game in the hands of Dom4's RNG is not exactly what I'd call desirable. It likes to kill people.
An update - sometime in the last month or three, I dunno - changed it so that the effects of order/turmoil on the likelyness of events is pretty damn minuscule.  It used to be that you wanted either order/misfortune or turmoil/luck/magic, but now... now the optimal way of doing it is luck+magic and do whatever you want with order/turmoil because it makes no real difference to the other two.  I believe its a 12% swing to event chance from max order to max turmoil, who cares about that?  Luck + magic is THE strong scale right now IMO.  Let's say you have, to pick arbitrary numbers, an 80 gold 7 research mage as your main lab rat.  At magic 3 they're at 10 research, which effectively "saves" 35 gold and a little under half a fort turn every recruit, AND about 2.5 gold every turn in upkeep.  So it saves you money and fort turns (which are the same thing as money until at least the start of year 3).  And then all the gem-gen events will flood you with gems once finish your earlygame expansion and domspread.

All that being said, I ran 2 turmoil 3 misfortune in a game and won, simply by being strong in the early game and running a gold-light build.  General rule if you want to take misfortune is, its more annoying than other negative scales would be, but probably less actually harmful.  The exceptions are that if you take less than order 2 (I believe) you'll get attacked, any amount of turmoil will make those attacks actually somewhat dangerous, and NEVER take death at 2/3 or drain at 3 if you go into misfortune.  I think there's a very strong argument to make that if you go positive on every other non-heat scale going misfortune is an efficient use of points.

Only if they're not casting high-end evos. A mage casting Fire Storm on a Flagellant zerg with BV is pretty much going to die, even if their MR is 24+. It is highly effective against strategies that are relying on mass destruction battle spells because the type of mages that can tank that are end-game summons; and in an MP game you probably aren't getting access to them if you raced for high-end evos.

The problem with B9 bless isn't its anti-mage effectiveness, it's that it tends to be a big waste of design points: The Pretender buff sucks, it's not a good choice for site searching, and you don't get much in the way of battlefield help from it... all so you can run a one-trick pony strategy based around hoping that most of your army gets killed by the right enemy.
The GOOD thing about BV summons is that it doesn't matter even a tiny bit the actual quality of the sacreds.  Those 15 protection 18 defense skill heavy cavalry will be helped exactly as much by BV as a 0 protection 8 defense skill animal summon.  There is literally one concern, and that is the HP of the sacred compared to how difficult and costly it is to recruit.  This is why LA C'tis LOVES BV, because their Tomb Kings can freespawn two big bags of sacred health every turn totally for free.  I've really considered picking up a nation with beefy but useless sacred summons (like MA Tien Chi with their celestial servants) and getting B9, and then putting them second row just as a *hit me you fucker I dare you* in the mid game.  Seems like too much of a gimmick rather than an actual useful strategy tho.

I would say BV is at its best for games where you've got a really nice endgame relative to the other nations/players, or where you know it will be decided in the midgame.  As E. Albright is suggesting, in the late-late game (or earlier if pretenders are involved) counters WILL emerge.  This is true of all sacreds, but BV is best in double/triple blesses and like PrimusRibbus said isn't going to give you many new lategame options seeing as how you can just empower blood into whatever crosspaths you want.  I do think that BV is viable but it has a fairly narrow niche, it needs to fit your strategic aims AND you need to be running a nation with a high-health/easy to mass sacred.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 236