Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526367 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2265 on: April 25, 2016, 09:15:39 am »

Is there a way to find your prophet? I lost mine. As in, I have no idea which of the 200-ish commanders I have dicking around might be him. Welp

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: April 25, 2016, 09:30:09 am »

F1 key or Statistics>Nation Overview, then skim for a Holy 3 commander.  I'm not sure if you can sort this screen by commander paths, though. 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:59 am »

I want to say that they added a hotkey to jump to your prophet in the past couple of patches... It's... Shift + I? Something like that.

FAKEEDIT: Apparently it's Alt + Home. That is... certainly some hotkey they have there.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: April 25, 2016, 09:55:34 am »

Well, Home the hotkey for your capital, and Ctrl-Home is the hotkey for your pretender. There's a certain ungainly-yet-vaguely-elegant logic for Alt-Home as prophet under the circumstances...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: April 26, 2016, 04:58:15 am »

Glorious, thanks!

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: April 30, 2016, 03:03:55 pm »

Let's talk about turn resolution order. Specifically rituals and magic battles.

The manual states that rituals are cast in random order. Magic battles that emanate from such rituals are resolved in the step thereafter.

So let's say I anticipate that some bastard wants to do some really really outrageous remote magic stuff to some nice people in my province. Naturally, I want to shield my heroes by casting a dome. Let's say the dome ritual gets cast after the horrendeous remote rituals have been performed and are set to cause a battle in the next step; will there be a dome check when the battle is initiated?

And what about situations where two mages perform rituals against eachother? Does it matter who draws first?

From the little experience I have I can't exclude that it was mere luck that saved me last time when the dome popped up. Sure, odds getting there first out of a number of rituals are slim, but it's possible.

At least this is the only way I can think of, of preserving and covering mobility and coherence of an army in presence of horror spam and various assassin demons.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: April 30, 2016, 03:11:54 pm »

Well, if you cast a dome on the same turn as someone casts a spell targeting the dome, then you have to beat him in executing the spell, so it would be random order, however, I think the random is based on a unit's internal ID number. Unless it changed while I wasn't paying attention, same thing happens in battles. When your side goes the order is determined randomly by the unit ID, but if the Army composition stays the same it will never change the order in which mages cast their spells.

Also, yeah, it more or less matters when two mages cast spells on each other. If I had cast seeking arrow on a province with a unit casting mind hunt at my province, then both spells would fire so long as the first spell failed to kill the target casting the other spell. I'd say the draw order would also likely be a unit's internal ID. Probably.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: April 30, 2016, 05:01:00 pm »

What's an ID? Is it in number of appearance in the game or the hard coded ID? If Grigori who has ID1 could cast a spell it would take precedence? Or do you mean that the IDs are shuffled and then kept in that order for each stack? If I made the function I would probably count all the ritual casters, give them a temp queue number, and shuffle them around to get a random order. (But I know in-game order is a bit strange, battles don't simulate simultaneity but depend on troops waiting for the entire enemy squad to complete its turn).
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 30, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »

Unit ID's an internal designator randomly assigned on recruitment, so far as I'm aware. Mostly coding-y stuff, and generally far more trouble than it's worth to try to plan around. There's no particular way to find out what yours are with any surety, though. Closest to an idea you can get is that the ones closest to the top-left on your unit list/top of the t/y menu is the one with the... whichever direction takes precedence.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 30, 2016, 05:54:35 pm »

Well, if you cast a dome on the same turn as someone casts a spell targeting the dome, then you have to beat him in executing the spell, so it would be random order, however, I think the random is based on a unit's internal ID number.

As far as *rituals* go, this is no longer true as of Dom4. Ritual resolution order is simply random.

Internal ID still goes in top-to-bottom order in combat though, and that can be figured out by looking at your army placement screen.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 30, 2016, 06:15:26 pm »

Alright, thanks for the correction. My head fills too easily with things I'm told sometimes.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 30, 2016, 08:48:49 pm »

Internal ID still goes in top-to-bottom order in combat though, and that can be figured out by looking at your army placement screen.

Can definitely confirm. I took advantage of this in a battle earlier in 4x20 (when I was attacking C'tis's capital with lots of mages) to make my mages' names for a couple battles into part of the lyrics of the Johnny Cash song "The Man Comes Around." They came out in order, perfectly, every time my turn came in the battle. :P

(Because there's nothing like blaring music at your enemies as you overwhelm them, right?)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 01, 2016, 02:35:19 am »

OK, but by casting a dome I should expect to get it up halfway through enemy rituals. I must have had luck when my previous dome got up first then. It made me assume there was a battle phase check. Damn, will have to add bodyguards. :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:01 am »

Or you cast your dome before your enemy decides to cast spells into it, and put enough gems in that it sticks around for a year. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 01, 2016, 09:50:50 am »

Yes, in this case my hand was more or less forced. I should've snuck in a stealth mage to prepare the dome before I went in with my forces. It's one of that million fatal losing mistakes you can make, but at least never make that particular one again. I guess I have a redundancy in the army, but X amount of assassinations is a punch no matter what.

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 236