Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500485 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #330 on: July 02, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »

And the latest two insectile beasties to emerge from the divine forge, whose operator seems to have finally stumbled into competence (no glaring, species-extinct-at-birth errors! Hooray!). The Bombus is a fuzzy giant bumblebee who can be sheared to make fuzzy woolen sweaters for the hobbits. The Pack Beetle is a beetle the size of a rhino that can be employed to lug all the shit we haven't gotten around to modding in around. These are the first two things I've made that don't have the sole intent to make life a buzzing hell for the natives.

Up next will be the glorious Vermin Hunter we've all needed - a lovely, slightly oversized version of the venerable Goliath Bird-Eating Spider.

Themes of turns, so far as I can figure out
Halfling: Initial Chaos worked into Order
BFEL: Parasite Elves and their Overlords
St.Leibowitz: Insectoid and Insectoid-devouring creatures
Laularukyrumo: (Too early for me to tell)
Zanzetkuken (me): Reptilians and Draconic creatures

Feel free to add to this list.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »

Yep, that about reads right! Bugs, bugs, bugs, bugs. Never can have too many bugs. Except Vespulae, maybe. I'm proud of the little guys :)

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:THERAPHOSA_STL]
[NAME:theraphosa:theraphosae:theraphosa]
[CASTE_NAME:theraphosa:theraphosae:theraphosa]
[CREATURE_TILE:'T'][COLOR:6:0:0]
[DESCRIPTION:A mid-sized, tame tarantula, valued for its diet, which consists almost solely of pests.]
[PREFSTRING:vigilance][PREFSTRING:ability to eat vermin]
[BODY:BASIC_ARACHNID_STL:4EYES_STL:MANDIBLES_STL:BOOK_LUNGS_STL:BRAIN_STL:HEART_ABDOMEN_STL]
[BODY_SIZE:70000]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:23333]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:70000]
[CHILD:2]
[VERMINHUNTER]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL][CREATURE_CLASS:INVERTEBRATE][CREATURE_CLASS:ARTHROPOD]
[PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC][MUNDANE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_MATERIALS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_TISSUES_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_LAYERS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_POSITIONS_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:BITE_MANDIBLE_INJECTION_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:IS_INSECT_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_BODYSIZE_HLG]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HEMOLYMPH:LIQUID]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:INSECT_POISON_TEMPLATE_STL]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen theraphosa venom]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen theraphosa venom]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:theraphosa venom]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:theraphosa venom]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling theraphosa venom]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling theraphosa venom]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:theraphosa bite
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:THERAPHOSA_STL:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:LOCALIZED:START:0:PEAK:60:END:300]
[CE_SWELLING:SEV:30:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:LOCALIZED:START:5:PEAK:90:END:1800]

Vermin hunter! The Theraphosa, a spider massing in at around one cougar that likes to munch upon annoying vermins. Basically, it's a cat in spider form, and is able to also kill a halfling (it was close, though - it won thanks to the wimpy halfling fainting from the pain of a neck wound). Somebody better add in some amazing metals and some genuine armor, because hobbits are exceptionally fragile. As of now, there isn't any armor that I see in the Arena; I intend to make chitin armor a reality during my turn, so that should help their survivability.

EDIT: read some more about cougar size. Yeah...this fellow's likely to shrink.

EDIT2: Unrelated, but in minor combat testing for my own amusement I discovered that Treelords are remarkably resilient to Vespulae, to the point that six of them are having great difficulty actually killing one. The treelord is missing most of his sap, it seems, and isn't fighting back anymore, but he's perfectly able to run around and continue living.
EDIT3: Nevermind, it actually just killed one of its attackers. BFEL, what have you created? It can resist the swarm where even a Quetzalcoatlus fell!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:08:00 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:31 pm »

Regarding the "themes", I've intentionally been keeping most of my stuff under wraps... I intend to focus more on the non-creature side of things. I've modded in one metal, its ore, an intermediary stage between ore and metal, and some other stuff you'll need before you can actually process this stuff. I also intend to add some more variety to the inorganic scene in general... at least one sand-bearing soil, some more soil types in general, a few different layer stones, a couple other metals, and some gems. Inorganics aren't terribly full of bugs unless you're doing some fairly strange things, and I've got the strangest one mostly worked out (I think).

I do have one eeeeeeeeeeeevil plan in the works, but I'm still running some tests to see if it's even viable before I start construction.

On that note, anybody care to tell me wtf is wrong with the Pale Rider? Because it REALLY shouldn't be having those problems... I do NOT want to have to define a specific material template for it, instead of just telling it to use the generic rock like I'm trying. It doesn't like me giving it dragonfire immunity.

I wonder if, since there's only two materials, if I could select them individually. I'm gonna try that and see if it works.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 02, 2013, 10:58:26 pm »

On that note, anybody care to tell me wtf is wrong with the Pale Rider? Because it REALLY shouldn't be having those problems... I do NOT want to have to define a specific material template for it, instead of just telling it to use the generic rock like I'm trying. It doesn't like me giving it dragonfire immunity.

No need to define the materials differently, just add [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] and you should be fine.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 02, 2013, 11:17:04 pm »

Feel happy you don't have to come up against the Vespulae. In a group of 5, they killed a megabeast.

HAHAHAHA
A Treelord (as in a single one) can fight a Storm Dragon.
The Storm Dragon won, but still, its pretty bad.
Also the Storm dragon won by SUFFOCATING THE TREE.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 02, 2013, 11:23:08 pm »

Hobbits are fast when they get into close range.  I was trying to test my 'bladed longbow' weapon with the lizardkin, and the lizardkin didn't even get a strike off from being whaled on by the hobbit so quickly!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2013, 11:26:57 pm »

You won't be. FIREIMMUNE doesn't actually work the way you think it does. It tells the creature AI that it's immune to fire, but it does not, in fact, make it immune to fire. That is handled with melting/boiling/heatdam/ignite points.

I'm thinking that the problem might be that I didn't actually declare a material explicitly, simply telling the tissue layer to use a material that's been predefined, which would mean it doesn't have an identifier. That's annoying, because I might have to go out of my way to do things.

EDIT: I'm trying a new approach and getting an error that I don't even understand.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LIVING_MAGMA:STONE_TEMPLATE_HLG]
[TISSUE:MAGMA]
[TISSUE_NAME:magma:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LIVING_MAGMA]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:LIQUID]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:20]
[HEALING_RATE:85]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MAGMA]

results in the following from errorlog.txt:

PALE_RIDER:MAGMA:Unrecognized Material Token:
PALE_RIDER:Creature Tissue Material Failure: MAGMA:(no mat1):(no mat3):(no mat3)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:45:29 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 03, 2013, 01:47:22 am »

I just can't get over how cool those insects are.

Laula, it doesn't know what material you're trying to tell it to use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 03, 2013, 02:17:52 am »

K. I think there's something wrong with the treelord. Namely, it is incredibly resistant to just dying, probably more than is intentional considering 30 halflings, some with axes and some with bows, simply could not take ONE treelord down.

Suggested fix: Make treelords actually have sap as blood as is probably intended anyway, so they can bleed out if enough of their tissue is damaged. This makes a bunch of people with axes able to kill them.

[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SAP:LIQUID]

There's still the issue of treelord bleeding sap, bark, layer sap and even body parts being called "skin" or "molten skin". This is caused by the malformed token [ADD_MATERIAL:WOOD:ELFWOOD] in b_detail_plan_bfel. What you mean is [ADD_MATERIAL:ELFWOOD:ELFWOOD_TEMPLATE_BFEL] and that makes them tree materials again.

Frankly I'm a little miffed that I have to be finding and fixing this stuff since these problems were 9001% obvious if you ever put a treelord in an arena.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:22 am »

K. I think there's something wrong with the treelord. Namely, it is incredibly resistant to just dying, probably more than is intentional considering 30 halflings, some with axes and some with bows, simply could not take ONE treelord down.

Suggested fix: Make treelords actually have sap as blood as is probably intended anyway, so they can bleed out if enough of their tissue is damaged. This makes a bunch of people with axes able to kill them.

[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SAP:LIQUID]

There's still the issue of treelord bleeding sap, bark, layer sap and even body parts being called "skin" or "molten skin". This is caused by the malformed token [ADD_MATERIAL:WOOD:ELFWOOD] in b_detail_plan_bfel. What you mean is [ADD_MATERIAL:ELFWOOD:ELFWOOD_TEMPLATE_BFEL] and that makes them tree materials again.

Frankly I'm a little miffed that I have to be finding and fixing this stuff since these problems were 9001% obvious if you ever put a treelord in an arena.

HEY! I put lots of them in arenas, and I never had the specific problems your talking about, I never saw any body parts called "skin" or "molten skin" in any of my tests.
I did have a couple of "plant slurry" but that was because I initially tried using some of YOUR stuff in defining them....and that didn't work too well, so I THOUGHT I scrapped that part and made everything effectively made of the elfwood, since the errors that I was getting pretty much did that anyway.

And yes, I realize there are a bunch of bugs and stuff in the code still, and I'm sorry you ended up fixing so many of them, but I'm kinda new at the whole "from scratch" thing, what with defining materials and tissues and whatnot, and quite frankly, I didn't even know about errorlog till you told me, so you clearly have a HUGE amount of experience over me, at least in those areas.

Frankly I think I did pretty decent for a first run with all this.

Also the Treelords ARE supposed to be crazy hard to kill, granted I did intend for them to be able to bleed out, but I certainly did intend for a small army of halflings to have a hard time with it. Especially since its also hard for the Treelord to kill things, seeing as it acts only once for about every 20 turns of anything else :P

To top that off, Treelords aren't even supposed to be going into combat all that often, I expected them to MAYBE be seen once in a typical forts lifetime, and only if said fort was at war with the elves to begin with. They are supposed to rely on the elves as shocktroopers and if shit gets REALLY fucked, THEN maybe one will lead a bunch of elves to war.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:06 am »

KK. My bad I guess. They are crazy hard to kill even if they can die from tissue damage though, they don't need to be mobile giant sponges. :P

Considering they have UTTERANCES, they are ALWAYS at war with you. They make up 20% of elf population IIRC, and sieges do bring dozens of creatures - you will see them.

PM'd sculleywr about playing.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2013, 08:15:17 am »

KK. My bad I guess. They are crazy hard to kill even if they can die from tissue damage though, they don't need to be mobile giant sponges. :P

Considering they have UTTERANCES, they are ALWAYS at war with you. They make up 20% of elf population IIRC, and sieges do bring dozens of creatures - you will see them.

PM'd sculleywr about playing.

Didn't he make a noble position for the treelords exclusively? That could help with preventing them from arriving like the babbling kobold shocktroopers of the God of Sponges. Mainly, I'm just in awe that they can withstand a vespulae swarm. As is fitting, only fire can adequately deal with these wooden monstrosities.

Goal for today: Milkable mega-aphid that produces honeydew, then a dragonfly vermin-eater to make use of "DIVE_HUNTS_VERMIN", and probably a few large and violent spiders. Then I'll take a peek at the world itself and see what we've got in the way of flora and fishes.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2013, 08:40:50 am »

Sweet. Just heard from sculley, he'll start in about a day and we'll hear from him then.

Meanwhile I'm building some language utilities... should have some pretty comprehensive non-Toady-made language files shortly. I'll also make a script for creating translations.

Spoiler: teaser (click to show/hide)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 03, 2013, 09:22:15 am »

As long as we get titles as awesome as Bluereaver, I am okay with this. :)

[CREATURE:APHIDIDA_STL]
[NAME:aphidida:aphididae:aphidida]
[CASTE_NAME:aphidida:aphididae:aphidida]
[CREATURE_TILE:'A'][COLOR:2:0:1]
[DESCRIPTION:A large aphidlike creature, domesticated and tamed for its valued ability to produce the liquid honeydew.]
[PREFSTRING:delicious excrement][PREFSTRING:bulbous appearance]
[BODY:BEETLE_BASE_STL:2EYES_STL:BRAIN_STL:HEART_ABDOMEN_STL:BOOK_LUNGS_STL:PROBOSCIS_STL:ANTENNAE_STL]
[BODY_SIZE:70000]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:14000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:23333]
[BODY_SIZE:5:0:70000]
[CHILD:3]
[GRAZER:100]
[PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC][MUNDANE]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL][CREATURE_CLASS:ARTHROPOD][CREATURE_CLASS:INVERTEBRATE]
[BIOME:ANY_FOREST][CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7][POPULATION_NUMBER:4000:6000]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FLEEQUICK]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_MATERIALS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LIGHT_CHITIN_TISSUES_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_LAYERS_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:INSECT_POSITIONS_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:BITE_PROBOSCIS_SUCK_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:IS_INSECT_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:APPEARANCE_VARIABILITY_BODYSIZE_HLG]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HEMOLYMPH:LIQUID]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HONEYDEW:ANIMAL_LIQUID_TEMPLATE_STL]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen honeydew]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen honeydew]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:honeydew]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:honeydew]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling honeydew]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling honeydew]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HONEYDEW:9600] Both can be milked, as honeydew is basically aphid poop, and both sexes produce excrement.
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]

The aphidida! No, I didn't just mess up the word "aphid". This is genuinely a taxonomical family for the little guys, which is how I've been naming the others.

Its delicious excrement should help halflings survive long winters when the river freezes solid and they've gotten distracted and forgotten to build a reservoir. They do tend to be a bit skittish, even though mano-a-mano they can end a vespula in a few hits. The might of the swarm is preserved, though - five vespula put an aphidida down permanently, because despite it not being dead, you don't really ever recover from brain rot.

EDIT: Ingame test confirms that aphididas can be milked properly. The halflings, however, didn't quite seem to grasp "fuzz" as shearable, and instead just peeled off the Bombus's entire abdomen exoskeleton. Bugfixing phase entered before spider-forging phase can commence.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:58:14 am by StLeibowitz »

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 03, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »

Honeydew was a bit...raw, for some halflings, it seems. Having seen where it came from, I can understand where their lack of desire to drink it springs from. So, they can now process the honeydew and create honeywine from it:

[REACTION:BREW_HONEYWINE]
[NAME:brew honeywine]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_M]
[REAGENT:A:30:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:APHIDIDA_STL:HONEYDEW][UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:A_HOLDER:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:A][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[REAGENT:B_HOLDER:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:DRINK_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B_HOLDER][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:BREWING]

I modified the Halfling entity so they could do this. Any objection that I shouldn't have done this?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 261