Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500850 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #840 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:09 am »

So, I decided to start working on an alchemy thing. Basically, you mix ingredients at an alchemy lab and create a boulder of a certain incense, which you then burn at a brazier - turning it into a volatile version that explosively boils and spreads a syndrome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since I just finished Bioshock Infinite, I was also considering adding Vigor-like potions in that would allow the drinker to perform an interaction (such as hurling a fireball), and I have an idea for abusing werecreature-ism to make a healing potion, too. Plus, I'll need to add some new creatures and plants to supply ingredients. I'll post it as a separate download from my raws once I've got everything working :)

EDIT: Also, how fares the tarnish-stalk-as-a-fuel thing?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:54:05 am by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 22, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »

Playtesting is going well. The only significant issue I've come across is the halfling caravan (from Lake Tit) arrived in the late summer, then again in the late autumn. I guess they left something behind :P

Also, I just recently finished bioshock infinite as well, and holy shit. I don't think a video game will ever blow my mind so completely as that.

Edit: Also, the elves don't seem to have access to weapons. Their caravan came guarded by wrestlers.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:55:34 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 22, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »

Also, I just recently finished bioshock infinite as well, and holy shit. I don't think a video game will ever blow my mind so completely as that.

Agreed wholeheartedly :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 22, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »

Okay, doublepost on the state of Incense Testing:

Numbing Incense: Yep, that worked. Jumped off an arena tower, broke the dummy's everything, summoned a few blocks of volatile numbing incense and he stopped complaining about the pain instantly. Hooray!

Bloodletting Incense: Very erratic. Test Subject 1 bled out in under ten ticks, thanks to everything suddenly bleeding at once, but Subject 2 is being toyed with. Random parts of his body start spraying blood for a few ticks or so and then just stop. May have to do with dosage - 1 had three boulders, 2 had only 1.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 22, 2013, 01:02:10 pm »

Herm. That sounds... Fun...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 22, 2013, 01:12:04 pm »

The bloodletting one is intended as a defense mechanism - have a few hobbits running boulders of the stuff out to braziers near the front gate of town to catch thieves and such, or put in pits outside near invaders to gas them. That second one should be made possible by the Blinding incense, so they don't freak out and run away at the sight of the spider-centaurs. Blinding incense confirmed to work, by the way.

Subject 2 from Bloodletting died eventually. One boulder of incense burned seems a good deal more balanced than three, perhaps - less ridiculous-spontaneous-exsanguination and more internal-bleeding-caused-by-poison-gas. He lived long enough that I tried to draw a giant smiley face with his blood by walking in a pattern, but he didn't quite make it.

EDIT: Haste incense works. Could work very well alongside numbing incense to prepare soldiers for battle - speed-demon, nopain halfling clubmen of doom. As long as the battle doesn't last long enough for the side effect of the numbing incense to kick in, that should be a good tactic.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:16:46 pm by StLeibowitz »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 22, 2013, 01:19:39 pm »

How expensive do you plan to make these? and have we finally come across a use for the smoking pipes?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 22, 2013, 01:28:05 pm »

I plan to make them difficult to make, especially paralysis incense because that's like being bitten by a vanilla GCS (tested; it works beautifully :) ). The plant ingredients for the combat ones are rare and expensive, and some will require animal ingredients like Basilisk Tears - which are needed to make stoneward, which lets you safely harvest those by making halflings immune to petrification, so you'll have to make a sacrifice to the basilisk to safely get those.

Using smoking pipes to ignite these at the braziers sounds like a good idea - I'll employ that for the reactions.

EDIT: the only one that should be very easy to make will be the numbing incense; its side effect is dangerous enough in battle (sudden unconsciousness) that it counters the six or so days of nopain it grants. Probably least dangerous use would be a medical anaesthesia.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:34:37 pm by StLeibowitz »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 22, 2013, 02:05:52 pm »

I camped in Yellowstone for a week, and there's too much to read. Can someone bring me up to speed?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:31 pm »

The world is filled with giant insects thanks to me, I'm also working on alchemical "incense" gas stuff and Bioshock Infinite-style Vigors.

Mastahcheese made wizards, seems to be working on some form of outsider civilization, and created the much-lamented Tarnish Stalk plant, which will soon be a fuel (I think). Booze now causes drunkenness and hangovers for the uninitiated.

Laula populated the underground with many types of stone, and the Pale Rider.

That's the highlights as I recall them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 22, 2013, 02:23:28 pm »

How many passive, non-monster animals do we have? Do we currently have just livestock and monsters, or do we have random wandering passive things that aren't wild versions of domestic things?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 22, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »

How many passive, non-monster animals do we have? Do we currently have just livestock and monsters, or do we have random wandering passive things that aren't wild versions of domestic things?
I don't think we have any passive wildlife except fishable vermin.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:33:21 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 22, 2013, 02:49:14 pm »

No, the Aeshnidae are benign and content to buzz around diving at vermins. Bandits moths aren't aggressive, either - they're gentle, larcenous giants, who will flee in terror at the hurling of a halfling's rock.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 22, 2013, 02:51:18 pm »

We need MOAR  :D

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 22, 2013, 02:53:44 pm »

Yes. Once I'm done with the apples I will get to work on some wired ones. (giant bees act as sheep? tiny sheep shale act as bees!)
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 261