Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500629 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2040 on: September 14, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »

Well, no. They can end up with equipment from wrestling. And then that equipment becomes their main attack. That's why you have all the reports of e.g. bronze colossi preferring to bash people to death with socks or what was it, a zombie ripping the dress of a girl and then bashing her skull in with it.

What happens if you make the body parts you want it to be impossible to hit unreasonably small or large?

Also, noting that DF is coded in the widely praised C language and accepts integer overflows no problem, what happens if you make the tissue extremely thick or the body part extremely large in general? This will result in it having a negative thickness or size if you have the right number. (Just typing in something extremely large should give a 50% probability)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 14, 2013, 03:58:23 pm »

@Gnorm: Halfling mayors have [RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS] for this purpose.
They need [RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_MAKING] to receive the tree-loving diplomats and those which just visit to compliment your base.

P.S. My wiki finally got its name changed, so the front page link shall have to be updated.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 14, 2013, 04:02:24 pm »

@Gnorm: Halfling mayors have [RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS] for this purpose.
They need [RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_MAKING] to receive the tree-loving diplomats and those which just visit to compliment your base.

P.S. My wiki finally got its name changed, so the front page link shall have to be updated.

Interesting. On Wiki it says "effect unknown". If so, that should be added as a bugfix, the mayor was definitely intended to do so. Thanks.

Updating first post.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 14, 2013, 05:03:23 pm »

How do I get my guys to actually make this cloth, and to make clothes out of it? I go to their sites and the ones that can wear clothing are wearing Flax robes, not this stuff.

Code: [Select]
reaction_HugoL

[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:PSIWEAVE_HUGOL]
[NAME:make psiweave]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_W]
[PRODUCT:100:120:CLOTH:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:PSIONIC_HUGOL:FABRIC]
[SKILL:CONCENTRATION]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 14, 2013, 05:13:12 pm »

Try giving them explicit reactions to make robes out of that? I don't even know if that works. But maybe Putnam knows of a better solution.

In other, not so informational news, holy crap, panserblekks.

doop de doo adventuring business as usual in the Mountains of War

Damn but there sure are a lot of panserblekks around. This is like the fifth herd that I saw. Is there anything else around these parts?

OH GOD IT JUST GRABBED AND RIPPED AWAY MY ARM

Well, they are much larger than trolls and larger than six halflings after all. Letting one sneak up on you is definitely bad.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 14, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »

We must make the [TRAINABLE_WAR]

Anyway, there really isn't much more in the Mountains than Panserblekks, feral Hounds, and now Trolls.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 14, 2013, 05:43:10 pm »

So it seems.

Even though they're mostly not aggressive, I've so far taken to only sneaking in the mountains when on the warpath. But then I made the mistake of leaving the safety of the shadows and slept in the open in the forest, and when I woke up...

(and yes, those are panserblekks. Armored octopodes larger than vanilla grizzly bears, with vicious natural skill in wrestling and eight flexible limbs. But really, they are a bane of peoples of the far north and far south only, living in tundras, taigas, coniferous forests and mountains.)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 14, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »

Mountains are good for sneak training in any version :D

Anyway, working, error-free release of my Adherents of the Mind, plus some critters I didn't include in my turn because they were unfinished, and an update to Panserblekks.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7977

Each civ the game generates for them occupies only a single site, a Monastery (fortress) that you can visit in adventure mode. They live there, meditating, alongside tribes of shaven halflings known as "acolytes" who live similar monastic lives, until they too can give up their bodies and become beings of pure thought.

Just a warning, I haven't added a good way to kill Adherents of the Mind yet, so try not to antagonize them (unless you want to experiment). That said, they're easy to get along with and you'd have to really try to make them mad.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 14, 2013, 06:19:21 pm »

OH GOD IT JUST GRABBED AND RIPPED AWAY MY ARM

I don't want to go into the woods anymore...

Also, it's probably good you get amazing sneak training there, if your quest was to kill an oculentibus and you went alone. Minions or the ability to turn invisible at will or a cache of stoneward incense from an old fort or just being able to sneak well enough to strangle it without its awareness are probably the only way you'll be able to get a shot in before it petrifies you :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: September 14, 2013, 06:21:19 pm »

My adventure was eventually ended by a blind (!) troll bandit bowman landing an arrow in my neck with a stolen halfling bow, of all the things that could happen. So goes Big Hunt Cursedchief the Drunk of Mountains.

In that spirit here's the troll raws as a pack. This upload also should fix an issue where night creatures regenerated too. They're not fully bugfixed yet; at this time troll axe throwers do not seem to actually have or use throwing axes, instead they just charge at you madly with just the one axe. I'll try to figure that one out but as of now it's stumping me a little. Completely playable and without errorlog, however.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7978

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: September 14, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »

Question, If I make a solid material that has a contact syndrome and have my Halflings make clothes from it will they get the contact syndrome when they where the clothes?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: September 14, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »

@Kopout yes

@Halfling
The AI never uses throwing weapons, unfortunately. You'd have to make them ammunition for a ranged weapon.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: September 14, 2013, 06:38:49 pm »

@Halfling
The AI never uses throwing weapons, unfortunately. You'd have to make them ammunition for a ranged weapon.

Yes, to circumvent that, in the troll raws specifically the troll axe is a melee weapon but also a launcher using the axe skill that launches throwing axes stored in a quiver.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know that should basically work because it does in the arena, both the items and the AI use.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 14, 2013, 06:45:05 pm »

Hmm... that is a puzzle. They throw them in the arena, but not in the proper game?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 14, 2013, 06:54:50 pm »

They work in the arena like you would expect - like bows firing thrown axes. They don't have the ammunition in the proper game, so I wouldn't know if they throw them :P
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 261