Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500659 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2220 on: September 17, 2013, 12:30:43 pm »

Most probably think "fortress mode" only. But in adventurer mode, specifically, having a large number of races you can meet with small geographical boundaries is a huge boon. Hence the adherents were a great addition too. It gives you places to go and things to do where normally the adventure wears pretty thin pretty fast. That's why I prefer suggestion #1 or both, they would be cool to meet and greet.

Still, I would prefer to have humans remain out.  Why not use Neanderthals?  They would fit better with the 'from-scratch' idea, in my opinion.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: September 17, 2013, 12:30:58 pm »

In the next version maybe.

Halflings are the only ones who actually build towns you can visit right?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:13 pm »

Most probably think "fortress mode" only. But in adventurer mode, specifically, having a large number of races you can meet with small geographical boundaries is a huge boon. Hence the adherents were a great addition too. It gives you places to go and things to do where normally the adventure wears pretty thin pretty fast. That's why I prefer suggestion #1 or both, they would be cool to meet and greet.

Still, I would prefer to have humans remain out.  Why not use Neanderthals?  They would fit better with the 'from-scratch' idea, in my opinion.

Because cavemen are more boring than knights and shouting "I command in the name of the king! Back to the darkness with you!" makes for a cooler line to say in a fight than "Ugh!", I pitched knights rather than cavemen. My opinion. :P

I would support adding dwarves too. It makes it more relatable. But not vanilla ones, steam-cyborg ones or such. When not one of their body parts uses vanilla things, when their attacks and tissues even are balanced differently and their necks bleed from major arteries, you can't really say it's just modded vanilla.

In the next version maybe.

No, trolls and lizardmen build towns too. Once mountain halls, tree cities and dark fortresses become visitable trolls should move to one of those, whichever can best fit with their theme.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: September 17, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »

I would throw my support in for a purely underground race of humans that would be rare to find. That way we are basically playing without them but they have a small chance of showing up as a small camp in a cavern layer. Has basically no effect in adventure mode and little effect in Fortress mode, thus being mostly for a fun tidbit. Maybe we could even have a middle ground between dwarves and humans here! Maybe instead of being different races, humans are slowly becoming dwarves.

Well, off the topic of humans for the moment, I've found that digging and building in an Azurine layer is incredibly confusing, as the wall tile has the exact same symbol as one of the possible ground variations, making some tiles visually indistinguishable. This would be a bit easier if there were a background color for the wall tiles, or perhaps one could straight up change the foreground symbol. I will turn off ground variation for now, but I kinda like having it on.

Also, how good is Aeresium for various purposes? I can look at the numbers, but I don't know well enough how it would compare to other materials. Is it better for edge or blunt? What about armor or arrows? And if someone actually takes the time to look and tell me, maybe it should also be on the wiki(s).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: September 17, 2013, 12:41:17 pm »

Code: [Select]
[CDI:MATERIAL:ETHER_ZTG:UNDIRECTED_VAPOR]
Where's ETHER_ZTG? If it's an INORGANIC, it needs that.

EDIT: It is. Bugfixing, unless there are complaints.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: September 17, 2013, 12:46:27 pm »

It's out for a purpose. It shall take revenge for every merchant robbed by an adventurer, every Caravan destroyed and looted, every Elven trader blown off or offered wood. It is... THE CABBAGE MAN!

wat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiMhue3iSd4

Trolls and lizardmen build towns, you can't visit Mountain Halls but Formics also build Forts you can visit, and Adherents build Monasteries.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:15 pm »

It's out for a purpose. It shall take revenge for every merchant robbed by an adventurer, every Caravan destroyed and looted, every Elven trader blown off or offered wood. It is... THE CABBAGE MAN!

wat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiMhue3iSd4

That poor man! Heads shall roll as vengeance for the heads that rolled!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: September 17, 2013, 12:59:47 pm »

Also, how good is Aeresium for various purposes? I can look at the numbers, but I don't know well enough how it would compare to other materials. Is it better for edge or blunt? What about armor or arrows? And if someone actually takes the time to look and tell me, maybe it should also be on the wiki(s).

Aeresium was specifically designed by LKR to be worthless as a metal for weapons. It is neither very dense nor good for bladed ones. Actually it was supposed to be so useless for weapons he got a little mad when ZTG made a reaction allowing it to be made into those.

Mmm... what's your thought on creatures speaking? Personally so long as there are measures to avoid spam and there's more than 10 lines, I think it's the best thing ever in adventurer mode. It also lets you give your race a lot of fluff.

I was thinking halflings could eventually randomly, occasionally sing and hum things like
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, too-ra-loo-ra-li (women) or the only brew for the brave and true comes from the Green Dragon (men). Except maybe original. And no Green Dragon because that's not in the game. They could scream when running away. Some of them could be marked "brave" and jeer at the enemy a bit.

Anyone into stuff like that, feel free to steal the stuff from the troll raws. Specifically there's just an interaction that adds a syndrome but doesn't actually have any contents for the syndrome, and they use this to talk to others.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: September 17, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »

On the subject of humans, perhaps they could be a race of sorcerers similar to the animal men of Vanilla - ie, they live in tribes in the cavern layers. They could have fireball attacks and a few debuffs/curses and be occasionally found if you dig too deep.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: September 17, 2013, 01:09:46 pm »

I had originally planned for a race implied to be humans to live alongside the Adherents as monks, trying to become Adherents, but I made them an offshoot tribe of halflings instead. Now people are talking about including humans...

Anyway, right now the story is small groups of halflings seeking enlightenment build these monasteries, and some of them attain Mental enlightenment and become Adherents. Now, I'd like at some point to have other "offshoot" groups doing the same. But which other races would make sense to have some of theirs seeking enlightenment? Not the Formics, as only the Queens have much mind (Maybe the queens should get some psionic powers by default?). Basically, I'd make duplicates of the Adherent creature entity but replace the "halfling" castes.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: September 17, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »

I had planed to include hippies. Not elves but actual honest to goodness hippies from the 60's. They would basically be humans, albeit with some interesting creature classes so they can be affected by the weird drugs they brew.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: September 17, 2013, 01:49:25 pm »

You know, given the actual history of Hippies, it would make a LOT of sense for them to be a subset of the hobbit culture. IRL Hippies idolized Hobbits. During the 60's there was a huge hubbub over the LOTR books.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: September 17, 2013, 02:59:56 pm »

Aeresium was specifically designed by LKR to be worthless as a metal for weapons. It is neither very dense nor good for bladed ones. Actually it was supposed to be so useless for weapons he got a little mad when ZTG made a reaction allowing it to be made into those.

Okay, so it's a decorative metal. Darn. Still cool though, I'll just have to find something else deeper.

What about Promethium? What's that used for? Also how good is Metoeric Iron versus Lunanium?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: September 17, 2013, 03:04:49 pm »

One thing that bugs me: that one stone that looks like a green ". It looks just like vanilla bushes, or like random terrain tiles, it's very distracting.

We might want to do some kind of material overhaul, too (but not right now). For instance it's always seemed a bit odd that Meteoric iron is the baseline metal, since Meteors are pretty rare, especially compared to other Iron ores. Unless it's supposed to be a major component of the planet, but then it's not really Meteoric. If we had the standard, everyday materials (iron, copper, precious metals, 10 or so mundane kinds of stone), it would give some point of reference to our own, unique materials.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:10:13 pm by HugoLuman »

Sassnad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: September 17, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »

It's kind of Fun to built something out of the green stone on a gras plain.
Then it looks like the grass has overgrown everything
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 261