Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500421 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2925 on: November 23, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »

Hello gentlemen. I've just made talking bears!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does this answer the question?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: November 23, 2013, 09:47:07 pm »

Ah. Yes. That's right. They seem to be a bit small, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: November 23, 2013, 10:13:38 pm »

200,000 is the same size as both a grizzly and a blind cave bear in vanilla, actually. Which is double the size of a sloth bear, and almost double that of a black bear, which is 120,000.

Though all of these seem a bit small to me, personally. Polar bears are pretty huge, though. 400,000.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: November 24, 2013, 07:59:20 pm »

I have realized that I never made any megabeasts during my turn. To combat this issue, I churned the following raws out. I request that whoever makes the next release include them.

Spoiler: Creature File (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Add to body_gnorm (click to show/hide)

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: November 25, 2013, 03:14:52 pm »

Are there any races that somehow produce metals not found elsewhere, but the playable race can melt them down for the ingots?
Crack-a-lack-a

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:50 pm »

Sorry about the AFKness all. I have some exams concerning the entire fall semester that are pretty important coming up right now. Been working pretty hard.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution kopout, it is now at long last in the first post. Would be great if you listed all the new things at some point.  Gnorm's yarn will go there as well, as well as that delicious quote.

Xieg - feeling like modding? :)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: November 27, 2013, 03:28:50 am »

This can cause infinite loops and produces incendiary lemons.
Well when life gives you lemons, use them to burn life's house down. (maybe not the best reference, don't have time to think up a good one.)

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: November 27, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »

I have realized that I never made any megabeasts during my turn. To combat this issue, I churned the following raws out. I request that whoever makes the next release include them.

I put these on a WIP branch on GitHub.  I can merge them into the next official bugfix if you OK it, kopout.  In the mean time, here's a zip file of Gnorm's turn's raws with the megabeasts added.

Edit: Also, I just realized that I'll be next up after Xieg.  Guess I'd better start planning what I'm going to do.  I have a few ideas for harmless silly fauna, and maybe one demon/megabeast, but other than that I'm not too sure.  Is there something we're acutely missing that should be added?  Any biomes that feel too sparse?

Or how about some infectious diseases?  I think I might have an idea on how to make a fairly realistic seasonal flu, although it's gonna take a lot of testing...

(Oh, wait, I think I said I'd try to rewrite the in-game help files if no-one else does it.  That's a whole bunch of stuff to do right there.)

Also, nobody's claimed a modding turn after mine, yet.  What are we going to do if nobody signs up before my turn ends?  Start claiming second turns, or maybe just take a break and focus on playtesting and bugfixes for a while?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:19:51 pm by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: November 27, 2013, 01:35:04 pm »

Both sound excellent. Though it seems we might not each have so much to contribute at once that we each need a full turn. Maybe we can add individual contributions as we go.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: November 27, 2013, 07:12:10 pm »

Also, nobody's claimed a modding turn after mine, yet.  What are we going to do if nobody signs up before my turn ends?  Start claiming second turns, or maybe just take a break and focus on playtesting and bugfixes for a while?
I like the idea of us having second turns, though I also believe that more time needs to be taken for playtests. I think that this thread should, at one point, host a true succession fortress that we could participate in. That would hopefully attract interest in addition to simply being fun.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: November 27, 2013, 08:06:04 pm »

Excerpt from the Journal of Dirt Championblue, Manager of The Masters of Battle and Oldgreen:

11th Galena, 501

The baskervill wandered too close to our settlement, and I for one thought that we were done for. Mayor Cavernhero, however, was not prepared to let her town fall to some dog. She threw a rock right at its leg, a crack was heard, and the beast fell comatose. The mayor then ran to our supplies, grabbed an enormous cudgel, and began to beat the dog's head until its brain was sludge.

Perhaps a halfling can manage himself against the beasts of this world.

19th Limestone, 501

More migrants came today to our happy home. Their story is that they were a search party sent by the halfling towns to find us. Quite flattering, but the fools did not bring enough supplies to allow for a return voyage, so we're still stuck here for now. One of them brought a pet terrier, which might be useful against the wildlife when it grows older. For the sake of proper management, I have updated our denizen roster.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: November 27, 2013, 08:16:24 pm »

The only wildlife a terrier's going to kill is the small kind :(

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: November 28, 2013, 12:39:36 am »

Why don't the halflings seem to have the ability to be jewelers; for that matter, are any of our gems [CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE]?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: November 29, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »

Excerpt from the Journal of Dirt Championblue, Manager of The Masters of Battle and Oldgreen:

27th Sandstone, 501

All of the lakes and rivers have frozen solid. The cistern beneath our well seems unaffected for now, but that won't last forever. If this frozen period lasts long and we do not obtain any drink, we'll be in deep trouble.

12 Timber, 501

Providence has smiled upon us for our work! Two trade caravans, one from our home civilization and one from a Forested civilization have arrived at our settlement today. I've already begun to pack up my things, it will be quite nice to get out of these woods and back home to my small cottage. Wave has requested to trade with the caravns before we leave; I suppose she wants to make use of her bartering skills one last time.

1st Moonstone, 501

Trade has concluded with both caravans, and we were able to obtain some trivial items in exchange for the pipes and fiddles we had been making out of sheer boredom. Neither caravan had very much to offer, unfortunately, but that doesn't matter now. What matters is that we have a way home now, especially as the snow begins to fall on our buildings.

11th Moonstone, 501

We have been betrayed! This morning, both of the caravans left the trade depot and headed away from our the town. We all shouted for them, begged for them to take us with them. The simply continued, headed farther and farther away. I noticed that one of them had stayed behind, the one that was calling himself "Calm Boundpsyche." He seems to be a trained hunter, and was definitely their leader. I rushed up to him, grabbed him by the collar, and demanded to know what was going on. He grinned insidiously, and told me that this site was too rich in raw materials to be abandoned. The bastards are going to leave us here to freeze based on the prospect of azurine smoking pipes! I punched him right in the chest, but the mayor grabbed me before I could do anything more. I that she'll have the diplomacy necessary to sort out this situation, or we'll all die here.

19th Moonstone, 501

Calm Boundpsyche exited from our town hall today, and rushed into the wilderness beyond. The mayor slowly left her office immediately after; she looked completely forlorn and walked slowly up to me, clutching a piece of paper tighly in her palm. When I saw the paper, I saw the reason for her mood.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: December 01, 2013, 05:23:23 pm »

3rd Granite, 502

Our settlement has been so busy lately that I found myself unable to find time to write until now. Our outpost is just over one year old, and we are still working on obtaining proper lodgings for everyone. Our livestock pens are beginning to run out of grass in this winter, and we were forced to place two animals in one pen; I hope that our decision does not lead to fighting. Meanwhile, our mechanics have cleverly placed cage traps in the south-western area of this site, and we have managed to capture almost an entire herd of panserblecks. These animals will, once trained, make excellent weapons against the baskervills.

On the subject of military, a small militia has been put together to properly keep those beasts at bay. We have built a range for the soldiers to practice at, though they do not seem to be willing to use it. For this reason, we have had them train against live targets in the area, and they actually managed to take down another baskervill. Perhaps the bones of these animals shall be of some use to us.

Below I have, as best as I could, attempted to depict our village in its current state:

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 261