Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500685 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #3750 on: April 15, 2014, 11:06:16 am »

-snip- but feel free to create your own, if needed.

-another snip-
I've never created a class before, how does this work? Will [CREATURE_CLASS:name of the class I want] just create a new class?

Pretty much. Classes are whatever you want them to be.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:16 am »

You'll need ORGANIC for all of them, VERTEBRATE for the fish, and INVERTEBRATE for everything else.

Fish should also be FISH, feel free to add the relevant classes to the others.

Be warned, though, that since they all share a population, being the same technical creature, that if you overfish one, they all disappear from the area. To counter this, give them an extremely large population density. Oh, and to avoid weirdness, you might want to make male and female versions of each caste.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:40 am »

How many species do we have now, anyway? Around 200 or so, right?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: April 15, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »

You'll need ORGANIC for all of them, VERTEBRATE for the fish, and INVERTEBRATE for everything else.

Fish should also be FISH, feel free to add the relevant classes to the others.

Be warned, though, that since they all share a population, being the same technical creature, that if you overfish one, they all disappear from the area. To counter this, give them an extremely large population density. Oh, and to avoid weirdness, you might want to make male and female versions of each caste.

Guys, why not just make several species that import the traits of the first instead of trying for a 20-caste species?

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:33 pm »

So many species...

I'm trying really hard to increase the amount of time that I get to mod. I have so many ideas that are just waiting to come to
life in this mod.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: April 18, 2014, 03:48:20 pm »

The megabeast tag doesn't really specify where they'll show up, so I was wondering if we can designate a megabeast to show up only in the third cavern.

I was thinking of a final boss type of creature, stronger than all current megabeasts but rarer because its locked in the caves.

I guess it would be like a FB, but FBs have really variable lethality.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: April 18, 2014, 09:33:56 pm »

And we don't have Forgotten Beasts at all in DFFS. Something in the caverns below would be cool.

I say go ahead and try it. If it works, maybe we can do a personal megabeast thing for the caverns, too.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:58 pm »

Have their been any releases lately?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:13 pm »

I don't think so. I think it's Urdothor's turn? I'm not sure at this point.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: April 19, 2014, 08:51:32 am »

We arent really doing turns anymore, and I'm not gonna be able to do any modding for awhile... We have a funeral to plan out of state.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: April 19, 2014, 09:21:45 am »

I'm not really familiar with the inorganic materials available in DFFS, but a I'm thinking of a nidhogg like creature with scales of rock (not sure if rock scales offer additional protection, but an inorganic outer layer would be nice for protection) and an organic inner layer that lives in the third cavern.

The main danger would be its massive size (200,000,000 cm^3, same size as a giant sperm whale), immunity to stun and pain, high natural skill in biting and dodging (skill = 6, ie talented) as well as the tag [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT], which would prevent instant kill attacks to the brain (though attacks to the heart is still fair game). Also it's trap avoid, because cage traps are kinda cheap.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: April 19, 2014, 09:23:35 am »

on a side note, are there any creature in the game yet that has webs for attack? I think the most plausible ones I've seen so far are the spider centaurs, but I really doubt an invading force has webs due to how OP it is.

I kinda have an idea for a creature with webs. basically, It's completely incapable of harming you (size 1000cm^3) but also completely invulnerable to damage (could be made of meteoritic iron to make this a reality). it will be non hostile, but if you provoke it, it will keep shooting webs at you until you starve to death.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:27:57 am by PDF urist master »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: April 19, 2014, 11:12:53 am »

Meteor bugs...hmm...I like it, but it does seem rather OP.

The nidhogg creature sounds like something to avoid at all costs. If anything, it's more OP than the meteoric iron web-shooters. Try making it into a non-hostile creature, albeit a very large one. Maybe lower it's natural skills a bit too.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: April 19, 2014, 12:29:37 pm »

The nidhogg creature was meant to be a megabeast as strong as the vanilla bronze colossus. I didn't see anything in the code preventing megabeasts from spawning in caverns, which inspired this. Living in the third cavern layer means by the time you face it, you will be (hopefully) prepared to engage it. You are not meant to engage it directly (though you can, if you want to), but rather indirectly, by trapping it with furniture traps (all playable races can build raising bridges right?) or cave ins.

the demonic spiders, are a little OP, which is why I think they work better as non hostiles. I guess it would make sense for them to be really rare, seeing how they're essentially alien lifeforms dropped from meteorites. [FREQUENCY:1] should ensure that you rarely see them, if ever. You can train them to be on your side and they are not trap avoid. seeing how rare these little buggers are, especially once even more creatures start popping up, I think it should be fair.

I'm not very familiar with the tissue templates in modding, which really sucks since I really want them to be in DFFS

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: April 19, 2014, 12:43:12 pm »

Look at cave dragons for vanilla. Megabeasts cannot spawn in the caverns, so if you want to simulate FB's give them [ITEM_THIEF] (so they try to path into the fort) and make them rare.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 261