Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Author Topic: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Money In The Bank  (Read 32401 times)

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Destination Unknown [WL:4/6]
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2013, 10:11:44 am »

Do you honestly believe that the human race wouldn't have found solutions to the current problems in 500+ years? As someone said earlier, technological advancement increases exponentially. This century technology is set to increase 1000 times faster than the past 300 years put together. To put that into perspective, that is like going from horse drawn carriages to landing on the moon within 1 week of each other. Do you really think fusion technology, reactor designs and other things will still ahve the same problems they do today, in 100 years?
Due to the current state of terraforming on Mars, I doubt that we're farther than a hundred years in the future. Besides, stop using the Sufficiently advanced technology argument.  And, exponential systems don't last. They fall apart rapidly. After all extrapolating is fun and stuff, but in the end it's guessing. And well, it's all fun and games, but you can't ignore fundamental problems.

But the fact that the technology growth rate isn't slowing, and shows signs of actually increasing, we wont be seeing the technology crash for a loooooong time.

The strength of a Fusion reactor is massively important. It is one of the main reasons holding fusion technology back. They haven't found a strong enough material that can withstand the reaction. Hence, nano-materials (which could be designed to withstand neutrons and other bombardments, either through improving the nano-tech itself, or 'weaving in' some sort of resistance metal or material). The beauty of nano-tech is that, theoretically, they can do whatever you want them to do.
The Strength of a fusion reactor is not important. After all, the plasma inside a reactor never actually touches the sides of reactor. Should it happen, then it will rapidly cool down and the fusion reaction will immediately stop, before any damage happens. The only thing a fusion reactors core lining needs is to whistand vacuum, and the neutron flow. These latter are subatomic particles, and hence nanomaterials* won't help you. Unlike what Hollywood would want you to believe, not every engineering problem can be solved by adding nano in front of it.
*After all, nano engineering is on the scale of individual atoms, and their strength lies in the grids in which they are arranged. High speed neutrons attack individual atoms, and hence can't easily be stopped. Self repairing nanomaterials might help, but they won't be able to stop the neutrons . After all neutrons, being the subatomic particles they are, can just fly through the gaps in the structure. (And no, you can't fill those up)

As for strength, the first fusion tests had to be postponed because the steel they were using kept melting.

You may not be able to fill them up, but multiple layers of superdense nano-material overlapping so that gaps are blocked up by the next layer of material could work. Add in self repairing nanites, impregnating the nano-material with neutron-stopping/absorbing materials and/or including between the layers of nano-material layers of strong cladding and there, problem solved.

Nothing in science is ever completed is someone assumes it cannot be done before you have even tried.

Fusion cannot be miniaturized at the moment, but in 500 years? New reactor designs, advances in materials and scientific understanding etc will have advanced sufficiently. I am not 'calling magic' on it, i am just leaving space for whatever will come about. Hell, if those guys at CERN can find the 'God Particle', maybe after the appropriate research we could play with the structure of things itself and make a materiel that solves all out problems with Fusion?
The "god" particle is massively overhyped. In fact, it would more interesting if they hadn't found it. And as I said, it's a fundamental engineering problem. Can't solve it without inventing cold fusion of some sort. Also, neutrons are annoying particles. Can only be stopped by pure mass.

For the same matter, who says we will still be using fusion in 500 years. 3 against one, the technology is massively outdated.

Why would fusion be massively outdated? what could replace it? Anti-matter maybe, but that is iffy at best. I dont know enough about zero-point energy to comment on that. Cold fusion?

As for funding. ONLY 750 million Euros? for something thousands of times more advanced and complex than glorified windmills? That is nowhere near enough. If i had the money I'd pump in a minimum of £6-10 billion. 750 million euros.....pathetic amount of funding.
Only 750 million euros in the EU alone, excluding the 15 billion ITER program. ((Costs rose a bit to much))

Still too little money. If it isn't funded properly, then it will always be 'only a few decades away' and never actually get here. it would be the same for any other technology.

Finally, early nano-materials we have today are being tested in as many different environments (including radioactive environments) and they are promising signs that, if properly done, they dont suffer from the same deficiencies as traditional reactor materials.
There are many different types of radiation. Still, while they might find a problem for metal deficits, they won't be able to miniaturize the particle shields much. You'd need a pure neutronium shield to get  compact, one hundred procent capture rate.

I think tests with the most common types of radiation have shown fantastic results. From what I've read, they haven't tried the less common types....yet. And no one is saying you could not use some sort of impregnation on the nano-materials to give it some of the qualities of neutron/radiation blocking materials. And no one is saying you couldn't use some cladding alongside the nano-materials.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2013, 10:17:41 am »

But the fact that the technology growth rate isn't slowing, and shows signs of actually increasing, we wont be seeing the technology crash for a loooooong time.
This reminds me of something from Jared Diamond's Collapse, specifically when he mentioned that societies tend to collapse around their peak of prosperity and population.
I'm not saying we're on the brink of the "crash," but when it happens no one will see it coming.

Why would fusion be massively outdated? what could replace it? Anti-matter maybe, but that is iffy at best. I dont know enough about zero-point energy to comment on that. Cold fusion?
Says the person whose argument is mainly based on Sufficiently Advanced Technology...

Still too little money. If it isn't funded properly, then it will always be 'only a few decades away' and never actually get here. it would be the same for any other technology.
I find that doubtful. I mean, as long as there's one laboratory working on it, progress is going to move forwards.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2013, 10:19:16 am »

And people putting words into toher peoples mouths. No one has said 'X technology could solve all problems'.
The beauty of nano-tech is that, theoretically, they can do whatever you want them to do.
Forgive my misinterpretation...

There is a word there: 'Theoretically'. Yes, some will say Nanotech could solve all our problems. That argument is unrealistic. Nanotech could help massively with a wide range of problems, however it would not be suitable for all problems. However, it is becoming obvious that the perfection of nanotech could kick-start a second scientific revolution by enabling humanity to do things it couldn't before.

To say, as you and Ebbor are, that 'Oh, it isn't possible today so it wont be in 500+ years' is a ridiculous stance. I'm sure people 100 years ago never thought they'd have computers invisible to the naked eye, and materials that are waterproof etc.
From what I'm reading of ebbor's statements, there are fundamental issues with the physics of fusion that prevent it from being efficient at small sizes. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but if I'm not no advances in technology are going to get around that, any more than advances in technology will get around the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Ebbor brings up valid deficiencies in the CURRENT understanding of Fusion. However, very few of the problems are actually based on physics themselves. As Ebbor has said, the majority are in fact engineering problems.

They may be very hard to overcome, but it technically isn't impossible to overcome them.

I think its just a matter of making cladding, reactors and other things good enough to maintain efficiency in miniature versions. New materials and engineering could make that reality.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2013, 10:24:51 am »

Quantum compressor.
Zero Point Energy Generator.
People who don't give a shit about whether it's efficient or not.
The fact that space ships are going to be fuckall huge anyway.
Gravitic pressure simulator.
Wormholes to make size a non-issue.
The ability to break the laws of physics in one way or another.

Oh, and my favorite...
Reasonable suspension of disbelief.

My argument is not: 'things will be smaller in the future'. My argument is that it could, which lays the groundwork for suspension of disbelief, because this is a game. Hey Ebbor, is there a scientifically viable way for cold fusion to happen organically? I doubt it. But the GM said it goes, so it goes. So please, stop arguing, at least in the thread. I mean, I like knowing all this, but...you can't argue about what technologies will be available 300 years in the future. Because it's practically a certainty that our inherent understanding of the universe will have changed. Maybe someone will prove the second law of thermodynamics false in situation X. Or perhaps the speed of light can be exceeded if Y(Gravitic propulsion always seemed the most likely to me, since it continues to accelerate you irregardless of how heavy you get or how fast you're going. That or wormhole generators/pre-established gigantic space teleporters).

On another note, when else would societies collapse? Since they tend to be constantly rising, the time before they collapse is their peak by nature.

EDIT: Just thought of a way to contain those neutrons.GRAVITY HOORAY
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:28:02 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:58 am »

((Irregardless isn't a word; Societies can also decline, and anyways my point was that collapse/scientific crash probably wouldn't be predicted a decade or two before; and if we throw our current understanding of physics out the window we don't have anywhere to stand to discuss it.

And this is Bay12. Scientific debates are our caffeine.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2013, 10:37:16 am »

This reminds me of something from Jared Diamond's Collapse, specifically when he mentioned that societies tend to collapse around their peak of prosperity and population.
I'm not saying we're on the brink of the "crash," but when it happens no one will see it coming.

Maybe, but how would a technology crash happen? Once something has been invented, it cannot be uninvented. Unless you mean we come to a point where we cannot advance as there doesn't seem to be any route to progress through, then i dont see how it could happen.

Says the person whose argument is mainly based on Sufficiently Advanced Technology...

Don't avoid the question. What could replace it?

I find that doubtful. I mean, as long as there's one laboratory working on it, progress is going to move forwards.

But only one laboratory would move things along much slower than a dozen laboratories with lots and lots of funding.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2013, 10:41:13 am »

Maybe, but how would a technology crash happen? Once something has been invented, it cannot be uninvented. Unless you mean we come to a point where we cannot advance as there doesn't seem to be any route to progress through, then i dont see how it could happen.
My point isn't that we're going to go into the Dark Ages again, it's that if there does come a point where we can't invent any more we won't be able to see it coming beforehand...and the decades before are probably going to have some of the highest technological growth rates in history.

Don't avoid the question. What could replace it?
Why shouldn't I avoid the question? You've been doing it this whole time with your "There's centuries in between now and then, they'll probably figure something out" argument.

But only one laboratory would move things along much slower than a dozen laboratories with lots and lots of funding.
Obviously. I was questioning how, even with the allegedly-small sum of three-quarters of a billion euros (not counting non-EU contributions or the ITER program), no progress whatsoever could be made on a subject that could be made if you gave it several billion annually.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:43 am »

Irregardless is a word irregardless of your views on the matter. :p

But if you're going to keep debating...keep in mind I have very little education on the subject. But I think that gravity manipulation, similar to nanotech(possibly when combined), could solve a lot of problems. Localized hyper-gravitational field to yank the neutrons into a containment bay where they can be utilized for something or other at a later point. Nano material that uses lead and basically makes a literally solid sheet of it in a grid pattern so a millimeter of thickness is all that's needed.

Gravity fields could also be used for particle accelerators to cut down on costs(unlikely, and breaking the laws of physics....but so is gravity manipulation, as far as I'm aware.)

And Kahn, I think he means that society would crash(which it hasn't, in this game) and the secrets of [insert tech here] would be lost. Like Greek fire.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:58 am »

[Can we go back to fighting aliens natives?]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:00 am »

[They aren't natives! We're the natives(sorta)!]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2013, 10:46:10 am »

But if you're going to keep debating...keep in mind I have very little education on the subject.
(Secret: I'm not entirely certain what's going on here either. My areas of "expertise" are more biology and sociology than physics. But I know enough to fake it, especially since the debate itself is informative.)

And Kahn, I think he means that society would crash(which it hasn't, in this game) and the secrets of [insert tech here] would be lost. Like Greek fire.
Not what I'm trying to say, no.

[Can we go back to fighting aliens natives?]
But scientific debate is so fun!
Sig

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:46 am »

Irregardless is a word irregardless of your views on the matter. :p

But if you're going to keep debating...keep in mind I have very little education on the subject. But I think that gravity manipulation, similar to nanotech(possibly when combined), could solve a lot of problems. Localized hyper-gravitational field to yank the neutrons into a containment bay where they can be utilized for something or other at a later point. Nano material that uses lead and basically makes a literally solid sheet of it in a grid pattern so a millimeter of thickness is all that's needed.

Gravity fields could also be used for particle accelerators to cut down on costs(unlikely, and breaking the laws of physics....but so is gravity manipulation, as far as I'm aware.)

Funny thing about the laws of Gravity: Einstein himself said that Newton had gotten the equations and laws slightly wrong. He used his own work as an example. There are several theories put forward by Einstein that are mathematically and scientifically sound until you add in newtons gravity.

Whether Einstein was right or not is debatable though.

Einstein also said that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:50:21 am by kahn1234 »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2013, 10:49:01 am »

[I joined this game to kill aliens not discuss science!]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:12 am »

[Sorry, you must be on the wrong forum. In any case, just wait for the next update I guess.]
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 02, 2013, 12:25:55 pm »

Why are you and Ebbor so certain that humanities understanding of science will not change in the next 500 years? Our understanding of science and its 'laws' have changed many times over the last 200 years. The fact of the matter is, we could debate fusion, nanotech etc until we are blue in the face but the fact of the matter is men (and women) far more intelligent than us know, to put it bluntly, fuck all about these technologies or where they could lead to in the future or even how they fit into our current understanding. People would be naive to think that the scientific laws are solid. CERN has already documented dozens of instances of interesting happenings that dont fit into our current understanding of the 'laws' of physics and science.
Why are you so certain this takes place 500 years in the future? On a side note, the reason we assume that our current understanding of science is correct, is because otherwise you can't make any logical assumption. After all, each and every argument will devolve to "How can you be so sure that will still be the case?". You can get full on existentialist on this one after all. "What if we discover zero point energy next sunday", "What if mind over matter actually works, and climate denial is the best thing ever", "What if Santa Claus does exist and we develop a Christmas based economy"?

As it stands, at least in theory, nanotech (or one of its many sub-strata's) could solve many of the problems encountered by fusion. But not just in fusion. Nanotech could solve many problems in many areas from construction to science, engineering to healthcare.
In theory, we'd have fusion in 1966. In theory, nuclear reactors are perfectly safe, cheap and can be build using of the shelf parts. In theory, humanity would have had a severe food crisis in the 1800, 1900, and 2000's (million death types). Watch out with theories.

Also, the fact that it can possible do that doesn't mean that it actually will.

Ebbor states that you couldn't have miniature fusion reactors without proper cladding (a matter of materials), higher pressure (which again comes down to what the reactor is made of) and higher temperatures (again, a matter of 'Can the materials take it?'). All could be solved in the future through synthetic materials. They are already making nano-materials that are more resistant and several hundred times stronger then steel and other materials usually used in reactors. In the next 100 years, nanotech specialists already predict we will have materials that are several hundred times, maybe even several million times, stronger/resistant than steel and other comparable materials, pretty much replacing the use of many natural elements and materials we use today.
Cladding is a matter of total mass, not materials. Higher pressure comes down to the strength of it's containment field. And the temperature is not a matter of the strength of the reactor materials (the plasma never touches the sides, after all), it's a matter of can we keep the fusion material fusing long enough to actually get a net energy profit. 
After all, the smaller the reactor, the faster it cools down. It hence produces less energy. You can attempt to solve this by increasing the pressure (Which increases the initial energy investement even further, and also increases cool down speed) or by increasing the temperature (Also, increased cost) to speed up the rate at which fusions occur.
Never mind the fact that in a current day reactor, the total amount of fusing material is a mere 0.5 grammes.

Your pocket fusion installation would, at best, be capable of sustaining fusion for a fraction of a second. So you need the installation to gather a massive amount of power, store it, and rapidly dispense it back into the fusion installation. And that has to happen hundreds of times per second. Why not cut out the middle man, and just use those massive batteries for all your power needs.

To say, as you and Ebbor are, that 'Oh, it isn't possible today so it wont be in 500+ years' is a ridiculous stance. I'm sure people 100 years ago never thought they'd have computers invisible to the naked eye, and materials that are waterproof etc.
Sadly, by that statement you're saying that everything is possible. As said before, you need to either assume that what we know is correct, with some liberties, or that virtually everything is possible.

Pride comes before the fall.

As for strength, the first fusion tests had to be postponed because the steel they were using kept melting.
Solving one problem doesn't solve the others.

You may not be able to fill them up, but multiple layers of superdense nano-material overlapping so that gaps are blocked up by the next layer of material could work. Add in self repairing nanites, impregnating the nano-material with neutron-stopping/absorbing materials and/or including between the layers of nano-material layers of strong cladding and there, problem solved.
The Scale of these gaps fails to be properly imagined by the human brain. While high density would work, it would severely collide with the idea of portable. Using multiple layers would be slightly problematic, due the fact that molecules naturally vibrate, and the slightest manufacturing error would be disastrous.

Nothing in science is ever completed is someone assumes it cannot be done before you have even tried.
We tried pocket fusion. It looks pretty, but no more than that. Consumes quite a lot of energy too.

I don't know anything about zero point energy either. It's one of those buzzwords commonly found on free energy forums. But just imagine how little your average medieval person knew about particle physics. Cast that forward into the future.

More mundane options are nuclear fission making a comeback, solar power coming in from space, and other SF staples.

Let me guess. It's never enough money, unless it's finished tomorrow, at 6 AM exactly? But still, there are things like that that can't be hurried. For the ITer, they needed 450 tons of special wiring. Worldwide yearly production when the project started was estimated at less than 5 tonnes.

And well, there are those who say that all the budgets given to fusion should better end up in other renewables. Can't blame them for not believing in the massive investements for a technology that won't deliver for at least 20-30 years. And well, it's coming under increased scrunity, and the US might back out entirely. Link.

Then again, there is indeed room for getting the funds.. Link. Then again, how do you spent 50 billion pounds on a train?

Finally, early nano-materials we have today are being tested in as many different environments (including radioactive environments) and they are promising signs that, if properly done, they dont suffer from the same deficiencies as traditional reactor materials.
There are many different types of radiation. Still, while they might find a problem for metal deficits, they won't be able to miniaturize the particle shields much. You'd need a pure neutronium shield to get  compact, one hundred procent capture rate.
I think tests with the most common types of radiation have shown fantastic results. From what I've read, they haven't tried the less common types....yet. And no one is saying you could not use some sort of impregnation on the nano-materials to give it some of the qualities of neutron/radiation blocking materials. And no one is saying you couldn't use some cladding alongside the nano-materials.
[/quote]
That's not how these things work. A fast neutron is only stopped when it collides with a (heavy) atom. Want to stop it, put more of those things in front of it. No real way to do that using a lightweight solution.

My argument is not: 'things will be smaller in the future'. My argument is that it could, which lays the groundwork for suspension of disbelief, because this is a game. Hey Ebbor, is there a scientifically viable way for cold fusion to happen organically? I doubt it.
Plants actively abuse quantum physics for photosynthesis. It's unlikely, but possible. My point is, after all, not that this is impossible, but that it's not a certainty in this game.

But the GM said it goes, so it goes. So please, stop arguing, at least in the thread. I mean, I like knowing all this, but...you can't argue about what technologies will be available 300 years in the future. Because it's practically a certainty that our inherent understanding of the universe will have changed. Maybe someone will prove the second law of thermodynamics false in situation X. Or perhaps the speed of light can be exceeded if Y(Gravitic propulsion always seemed the most likely to me, since it continues to accelerate you irregardless of how heavy you get or how fast you're going. That or wormhole generators/pre-established gigantic space teleporters).
The GM said that this is rather inspiring. So, no real reason to stop.

As for breaking light speed, gravitic arceleration won't work. To reach lightspeed, you end up with an unstoppable force (gravity on an infinitive mass) vs an unmoveable mass.
Alcubiere drive and the like might work, and well gravity is strongly tied in with that.

My point isn't that we're going to go into the Dark Ages again, it's that if there does come a point where we can't invent any more we won't be able to see it coming beforehand...and the decades before are probably going to have some of the highest technological growth rates in history.
Climate collapse. Socioeconomical collapse due to resource crisis. Solar flare ...
Pick your disaster movie, there are enough to go around.

On another note, when else would societies collapse? Since they tend to be constantly rising, the time before they collapse is their peak by nature.

EDIT: Just thought of a way to contain those neutrons.GRAVITY HOORAY
Really no way to do that effectively. The energy required to stop a very light, near lightspeed particle is enormous. If you can somehow get around that, you can just build a perpetuum mobile.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38