Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The State of the Subforum  (Read 4317 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The State of the Subforum
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:49:40 pm »

Okay, dudes.  This week it's actually going to happen.  I'm going to update the Notable Games Archive.  I have two days off work, and at least two hours of one of those days is going to be devoted to this subforum.

When I got to thinking about that, though, I started realizing that we could get some other work done at the same time.  What do you guys think?  Do we need a new system here, or is everything else working pretty well?  What things would make it easier for you to play games the way you want to?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: The State of the Subforum
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:35:20 am »

It would be nice to have a thread for general beginner's mafia discussion instead of having it flow from thread to thread.
We should do something about ICs replacing out.

Other than that I think everything is fine.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:36:33 am »

Hmm... what do you mean about the ICs replacing out?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:51:56 am »

The past 3 beginner's mafias all have had an IC replace out (Ford in 41, Nerjin in 40, Shakerag in 39), which I think sets a bad example and disrupts game flow. People shouldn't in for IC unless they be sure they'll be available for the entire game and should stay in barring extreme circumstances.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:59:19 am »

Is this thread intended to replace the general subforum discussion that happens in the Games Threshhold thread?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 03:47:11 am »

I think we should resurrect Wuba's ages-old attendance tracking thread. The number of replacement requests has gotten simply atrocious lately.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:29:10 am »

Firstly: The Open Games and Replacements thread is mostly unused by now. About half the links in the Links post are obsolete, the only game in the Open Games post is not an open game at all (and that function is better served by the OP of Games Threshold, anyway), and people aren't really using the Replacements function. It should probably be depinned.

A replacements list post was useful when there were lots of games around. Now, there are rarely more than three Mafia games active at any one time including the BM. Since a lot of people check the subforum anyway, putting replacement needs in the thread title is a much better solution; it's much quicker to go through and needs fewer clicks, and doesn't rely on any one person keeping everything updated. We do this already, so there isn't really any need for a replacements list.

Secondly: Things that serve important functions in the current incarnation of this subforum need to be pinned. This includes the Games Threshold thread, which sees more use than any metathread that exists now, the new Lurkertracker, and the Gametypes thread. The Notable Games archive should probably also be pinned to avoid it being lost in the depths of previous pages, as it's not likely that it will be a vehicle for discussion but will be visited anyway by new people or others wanting to look at exemplary games.

Those are the things that are really important. The Games Threshold thread may also benefit from a renaming to better reflect its general-discussion nature.

I think we should resurrect Wuba's ages-old attendance tracking thread. The number of replacement requests has gotten simply atrocious lately.

That sounds good, but would need a new thread and a new person to take care of the OP, as webadict isn't around as often any longer.

Is this thread intended to replace the general subforum discussion that happens in the Games Threshhold thread?

It's intended to discuss changes to be made now, AFAIK. So, not really.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 07:59:37 am »

Yeah, this is just talking about now.

I agree that the Signboard is useless, but I'm less certain that all of those things need to be pinned.  Open games seems like the best replacement.  Why don't we have a list of useful links just under the list of what's open?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »

This is true.  Players who can't play a game for a few months should think twice before joining.  A game really shouldn't have a Replacement Queue almost as long as the player list!  I'm not sure I'd accept Imperial Guardsman into any games right now for example.

I think LNCP and ZU said everything else that matters.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

So we plan to have a thread to keep track of activity/how often people need replaced? I like the idea.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »

Yeah, this is just talking about now.

I agree that the Signboard is useless, but I'm less certain that all of those things need to be pinned.  Open games seems like the best replacement.  Why don't we have a list of useful links just under the list of what's open?

Because almost nobody uses it now. It would be simpler to remove the extra click-though layer of links that's present and not otherwise needed and just pin the relevant threads that are important.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 02:02:51 pm »

The Games Threshold thread is designed for people to talk about what games they want to play next, as well as give us a listing of what's in the pipeline. The list part isn't as necessary now as it was when I first made it (back in 2009), but the general discussion of what to run and how soon to run them seems useful.

Probably wouldn't hurt to put a few links in the OP of the thread to other major threads, though, so discussion for things like new game types can go to their proper place.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 03:53:30 pm »

I'd like if someone in the forum was given mod powers just so they can sticky threads, that'd allow us to keep the stickies up to date without hassling Toady.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »

I humbly nominate Griffinpup the great to be supreme mod commander of this world.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »

I'd like if someone in the forum was given mod powers just so they can sticky threads, that'd allow us to keep the stickies up to date without hassling Toady.
I vote for Dariush.
Pages: [1] 2 3