Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foreign units  (Read 1393 times)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
Foreign units
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:17:27 am »

Given that Toady is currently working on cities and the people in them, I think it's not too unfair to suggest a wider range of people visiting the fortress in Frotress Mode. This could mean people of all races showing up as non-controllable, non-permanent visitors for a variety of reasons. Things I've thought of include:

Witch hunters: They would show up, particularly to fortress in evil biomes or near a necromancer site. They show up with an associated message and offer their services to rid your fortress of vampires, undead, necromancers or werebeasts for a fee or tribute, which the mayor or associated useless idiot noble dwarf can accept or deny. Maybe they could even rid you of pesky ghosts you couldn't find the corpse of, or be bothered memorializing.

Mercenaries and Soldiers for hire: It's not always easy to get soldiers with the skills or equipment to defend your fortress early on. Of course, given that they would be quite experienced, the drawback would be inability to give them direct orders, they would go where needed and consume what they want, and only stay for a limited amount of time.

Bards or musicians: I heard that the instruments are going to be utilized in the future, so what better than your very own fortress concert? Quite a few things actually, but it's just another idea.

Insert generic, non-original suggestion for magical units: You know, like wandering healers, yarda yarda, yes you've heard it before, I know. Incidentally this could include priests of a certain god or religion (or cult) that preach to your dwarves.

Legends: Legendary warriors, even maybe your retired human, elven and dwarf heroes from adventure mode, who show up and do whatever they do. Perhaps to dive into your minotaur maze (Which everyone should have, by the way) to slay the beast. People after the danger your site inevitably has.

Then of course there's lots of possibility for visitors who don't help out that don't just straight up attack you like the goblins. People who maybe want a bribe or threaten you or something, or maybe who want to camp on your site. Like, say, wandering barbarians or nomads of the like who would set up a temporary camp or else attack you or something, like nobles with mandates and demands, but actually threatening. I believe visitors could provide that additional bit of fun, and I personally feel that the civilisations could use a little more personality in Fort Mode; I know that's coming to adventurer mode, but I enjoy Fort Mode a lot more because I don't get instantly murdered by bogeymen in Fort Mode. I would just like to see allied but non-controllable units, like the liasons, running around the fortress helping out or otherwise doing their daily business. Of course, once the economy gets worked back in, in the far, far distant future, there will be a bigger impact on purchasing the services of these non-dwarf visitors.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign units
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:35:03 am »

Planned, especially for when fort-mode taverns are introduced

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign units
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:44:49 pm »

That's a great idea!
Maybe some nomad tribes and not-so-pesky Kobolds may set up friendly/neutral camps and offer you services until they're gone?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about