Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Garoleth - A Byond game inspired by Dwarf Fortress  (Read 12091 times)

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Garoleth - A Byond game inspired by Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 10:00:26 am »

when i try to connect it says connection failed

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:42 am »

Yeah, it's down. D: ---ALSO, you've literally taken sprites from Dungeon Master and stuck them into Garoleth. I mean I dont have a problem with it, just, have you talked to the owner about doing that?
the problem is that no one has seen him for a year or two. (not that i am saying he should not try to ask him.)

To be fair, at most it's only been three months. He was an admin on a Sundered Earth server awhile back just to get this part of the story straightened out.

His last post was in 2011.

He was still on Byond, he just didn't do anything with his game.
He is still ask able if you really tried.
fix'd and ask able?

Yes as far as I know he WAS ask able and the chance lays he still is.
I said I saw him pretty much three months ago and you claim he has been dead for years which would be wrong. Your post contains no defense whatsoever as to why you wouldn't have asked when he was actually active on Byond. (Maybe not on the DM HUB and even though I think it's cool fans want to revive the game, it asks to not make new hubs for his source which I'll assume the game was started with and I argue if you were good enough to change the game enough to not make the source of DM seeable, then why didn't you just make the game from scratch?

This is my problem with Byond members, they take sources of other games, make some changes, then put a festering pile of admins in charge while assuming the original owner is okay with it. Ginseng's last post about the subject was about people creating another hub of his games, it's obvious he doesn't want to share his content in such a way.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 11:42:35 am »

I'd like you to keep that sort of negative discussion out of the thread if you wouldn't mind.

Tyler - if you'd like to discuss this personally you can page me using the Byond client. Otherwise I can assure you that there's no piles of admins festering on the server. Only myself, and active development are present. :D I think it's a bit disingenuous to call what I've developed Ginseng's work. Yes, it's largely similar, but Ginseng can take credit for it the same way that a cow can take credit for cheese. Much manufacturing has gone into Garoleth's creation, and while a cow's milk is the building block for cheese the finished product is quite different.

For the time being I've moved the game back to the Dungeon Master hub as the server's downtime has cost the playerbase a bit. I'll edit the first post.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 01:35:42 pm »

ok so who said he was dead? all i said was he stopped working on dungeon master.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 07:09:26 am »

So are u back in developing this game? looks like a big potential for me. It's a bit hard to handle on the start but seems like a good game.

Is it possible to zoom out the screen?

Any world map exist?

how can i butcher dead corpses?

how can i build some kind of gates for the walls?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:37:37 am by HARD »

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 05:08:52 am »

The server is up for the moment, but I haven't decided about when or if I'm going to continue developing.

You can't zoom out.

No world map.

Double click the corpse in your inventory. Dwarves and humans need a dagger to butcher/skin. You can also press the HUD option in the lower right hand corner.

Use a masonry or carpentry station to make a door, that'll be your gate.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:44 am »

Server had quite a few players last night. Looking good for the rebirth.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2013, 02:51:39 pm »

Server's been empty for days. Most people on that stagnant mod that hasn't been updated for ages. Seems like this might have been a waste of time.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 05:08:22 pm »

Didn't you just say that it had a few players?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2013, 05:35:17 pm »

here i am chillin' on an empty server with three dorfs and no goddamn idea how to unequip the axes they had to start equipped with to equip their pickaxes to not get murdered when anything other than the human scout comes around

and it feels most of the commands do jack shit

looks like a very polished byond game indeed.

e: let's not forget, of course, "refer to the guide if you have any problems" (paraphrased)

Spoiler: contents of guide (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:40:58 pm by LordSlowpoke »

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »

Sorry, this is the guide that it's referring to:

http://garoleth-byond.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Started_Guide

Not sure what commands you think don't do anything.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]