Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 74407 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2013, 08:45:02 pm »

Anyone playing in Edge's map, beware that dust and a lack of socks.  It's brutal if you end up with a chokepoint with the dust gathering up in it and one of your dorfs goes shoeless.  Ends up in an endless cycle unless you can dump the dust somehow.

My waterfall lets me dissassemble the grates and dump the stuff on top into the drain, which lets me get out of the cycle, but it's pretty gnarly if you can't do that.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:28 pm »

what do you mean you get stuck in an endless cycle?  Your dwarves keep walking back in to the crap and dieing?   Personaly I tend to isolate and quarenteen at the first sign of a contamination issue.  If I can later purge the area great, if not I'll build around the biohazard zone.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2013, 10:24:05 pm »

The dust itself isn't deadly, but the endless Vomiting/nausea is as they try to get to the drink stockpile and get dragged back to the hospital trying to get some booze in them.  They don't stay in the hospital long enough for someone to bring them water, so they start the path again.  Rinse/repeat.

The problem was the contamination was in my 'cleaning' area, the waterfall.  I've started to dissassemble any grate that has more than a dusting of the stuff to make sure I don't get the same problem.  Replace the grate and the problem goes away.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2013, 10:29:12 pm »

Lost my fortress today to a FB

This was some FUN the undead just keep coming and coming

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:30 pm »

Ahh I see.  Agian I'd probably just block off the area in the short term and start imidiate work on at least a temporary replacement.  Once the initial issue settled down start cleanup procedures.   Saddly my prefered method would be a tad messy to use around a waterfall.  Cleansing the room in the holy blood of armok does wonders but you'd have to mine out the obsidian after and anything not magma safe would get clensed as well.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2013, 04:30:39 pm »

Well, for the last 24 hours my machine has eaten the movie for this project in multiple ways... mostly due to my graphics card being a LITTLE wonky after I installed it and I'm still working out the final bugs.

I'm trying to figure out where/how I want to split the movie down into smaller chunks and get them compiled.

Next section, though, as a teaser: Trap and dwarf access are laid out, dug, magma lift is laid out and dug.  All systems are tested.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2013, 11:55:42 pm »

Part 6 (and 7... and 8... and 9...) of FurnaceClans is up!

Really, they're all Part 6 in my head, but due to mechanical issues I split them up.  They're about 15 minutes a piece, roughly.  They cover the magma loader rebuild, the OMG trap design and dig, and the minecart magma loader for the trap.

Part 6: Overview of the fort status, the new magma loader tested, and the design and build of the OMG system.
Part 7: OMG design review
Part 8: Trap dug, second/third level shown, dry run testing, and Cavern 2 sealing for Impulse Elevator straight shot.
Part 9: Design, Dig, Test, and activation of the Magma Loader via Minecart system.

Edit: Goddamned that lost cart bug is annoying.  Just lost another one in the magma loader.  Drained the system to see if that would cure the cart showing on stocks and hauling but not available in reality and spamming the crap out of me with stockpile requests.  No Joy.  The thing is just... eaten.  Wonder if I'd have the same problems with Steel Minecarts... maybe it's something about iron?

Addendum: The cart system you see me build can rightly only run 5 carts.  Any more than that and the system ends up overloaded.  Using a holding loop I was able to determine it's actually about 5.5 carts with a 100 tic spacer.  Something in the system causes an eventual race condition for a single cart.  I'm not sure what it is and I don't care enough to find it as long as I can get the # of carts and the holding loop to get it to behave its damned self.  The stop-drop for the drop chute should be fixing the speed so I don't know how the hell it's happening though.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2013, 03:42:31 am »

Part 10 is recompiling before posting.  Why?  Well, I'm glad you asked.

Apparently YouTube has a serious bender about including the old TV version of the Mission Impossible theme in your video and I really just don't want to deal with the legal BS for what should have been a simple joke. 

Meh.  Just Meh.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2013, 05:17:08 am »

Part 10 is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgVyHoOUMo

Had to adjust the OMG, got a kid in a mood, and we're ready to open the doors in Part 11.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2013, 12:35:32 am »

Oh HELLS yes.  Exploding Undead EVERYWHERE.  Arranging Part 11 now for your viewing pleasure, if anyone's still significantly interested.  :D

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2013, 01:40:20 am »

Oh HELLS yes.  Exploding Undead EVERYWHERE.  Arranging Part 11 now for your viewing pleasure, if anyone's still significantly interested.  :D
I'm still interested.  Last few parts explaining the minecart setup were awesome.  Thanks for doing this!

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2013, 11:36:33 am »

Part 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izu4Rz9fts0 

The OMG is up and running in this.

This is some excellent dwarven engineering. An automated undead cleaning machine. You know your lava and minecarts, sir.

I'm not nearly as far along. It is just past spring, I dug down through the other two cavern layers and got to magma. Found curious underground structure (more undead underground) and candy (which is fortunate, 2x2 maps can be iffy). My metal is tin, so thats questionably useful. Started making tin cages and adamantium wafers. Walled off everywhere, the only things that have access are caverns one flyers. Carved out a large tree farm at z-1, and now I am looking at punching the aquifer at a more central location.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2013, 07:47:59 pm »

Intresting device.  I seem to have a bit more luck geting at least some of my first migrant waves in, none of my forts that survived the first year were limited to only 9 dwarves like furnaceclans is.  normaly the first wave makes it in wholesale if they are not unlucky with flyer pathing, second wave might lose one or two.   Even if I loose the first year caravan I normaly can get most of the first big year 2 wave in and might get some of the second wave in before the surface becomes too deadly to get anybody in.

I had one comment about therapist that might save you some time next time you need to do an all call on your labor force.  If you want to clear out all your dwarves labors and assign them to a single task in a hurry
click the top dwarf in the list
hold shift and click the botom dwarf in the list, this should select everybody
right click on a dwarf to bring up the menu and select clear all labors
click the labor you want to enable and if all the dwarves are still selected it should enable it for all of them.

Might save you time futzing around with dwarf theripist on screen like you had when you sealed off cavern layer 2 for the magma elevator.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2013, 10:11:59 pm »

He did also have a very early titan running around webbing and killing everything that walked for quite awhile taking out those precious early migrant waves.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32