Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Ignorant Fortress Part 2: Minefield (Still accepting New Overseers!)  (Read 17491 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mineforest: A twist in succession fortresses! (PLAYERS NEEDED!)
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »

Edit: Who ever started the huge rock deathtrap is a genius.

:D

And coincidentally, the rock deathtrap is probably what put your dwarf in the hospital.  :P
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2013, 04:54:29 pm »

Oh, thank god, I thought it was something worse
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »

Yeah, the "something worse"s of the map wouldn't leave a dwarf alive.  :P

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
  • Forts lost: A lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2013, 05:34:01 pm »

Journal of Bokaza, entry 2:

After being hungry and thirsty for weeks and constant screaming of the fella in the room next to mine, someone finally fed me. When I asked what took them so long and where in the Armok's name the doctor is, she told me the doctor was "having a break", that every one else was busy and that I'll be joining them as a miner as soon as the doctor brings me a crutch. When I asked how exactly I'm suppose to mine with a crutch, she just shrugged and said it's not her problem. Good for nothing doctors.

Later, when someone else came to feed the poor fella in the next room, I caught a glimpse of him. He was tied to some hellish torture table with chains, with some strange bird standing beside him striking a menacing pose and was screaming they let him go. What terrible crimes he did to deserve it and why it's in the hospital in the first place is beyond me.

P.S. It was a turkey. Got to remember that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:42:17 pm by Bokaza »
Ah, RL. The only true slayer of fortresses.
A vile force of Reality has arrived!

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:32 pm »

Journal of Bokaza, entry 3:

These past few months have been very strange. After getting my crutch and being released from the hospital on date 24th of Obsidian, year 15, I' was immediately ordered by Catten Usenasmel, the mayor, to start working on the main dig. After I looked blankly at her, she pointed me through the barracks, a sad excuse for one since there wasn't a dorf in it, and through a small tunnel. There it was, a huge pillar of stone, hundred feet wide and so long I couldn't even see its other end, surrounded by a huge dorf-made cavern. There was a small hole on the side of it where dorfs kept coming in and out. When I asked a fella nearby what it was we were working on he said it was "th' solution to all 'ur problems". I replied by asking what these problems were he just told me "we aren't allowed to talk 'bout it". Also, that lass at the hospital wasn't lying, everyone is running around doing Armok knows what.
A week later, 1st of Granite came and with it a new year that marks the 10th year since the founding of Mineforest, by The Tomb of Bravery... whatever that means. There was a short celebration in the dining hall. There I met a dorf named Shadowhammer, a miner who used to be a warrior until he lost his foot in battle against goblins a few years ago. He claimed to have slayed dozens of them before he was shot in his heel by a bolt, which was his only weak spot, coz he was dipped in Armok's bloody pool by his mum when he was a beardless baby, leaving only his foot mortal.  The other dorfs laughed and said he was more likely dipped in a pool of grizzly shit, coz most of him smells of it.
The next weeks were uneventful until some poor sod snapped and made an ugly marble "millstone". Right after that the mayor ordered me to dig a path to the water in the cavern below. The small pond was dry and we had people desperate for water. I asked why can't they go to the surface for water and she just laughed and said that I am free to try if I want to get burned. I replied by asking if the sun was really that bad. She just paled and yelled at me to get back to work.
When the work was done I told them to put a hatch on the stairs just to be sure since there was some movement in the water. Good thing I did because few days ago, there were screams coming from that same tunnel. When I went there I saw a pale lass sitting near the hatch sobbing. She told me that while they were getting water, something huge and purple came out of the water and started spitting saliva at them. The mayor, her baby and some other nameless sod "stayed behind" to "slow it down". She had just enough time to bar the hatch. Poor sods. We'll be choosing a new mayor in a few days, until then all work orders are on pause. Good for nothing politics.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »

Omfg... WHO LET THE DRAGON IN!?!?!? And who let the forgotten beast inside also!?!?!?

And what happened to Baron Highmax? Shouldn't he be ordering you around? :P

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Wafflelordling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2013, 10:41:17 pm »

He doesn't remember  :-X

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:32 am »

I forgot to ask, was I suppose to do anything with the save or the raws. I use the old ASCII and I didn't convert the tile set.
He doesn't remember  :-X
He might get his memories back someday or he could take a stroll through the fortress.

Also, a migrant wave came.... well, more like a migrant pulse. An engraver that magically got past most of the *fun* and is now wondering in the sealed of part of the fortress and a friendly trader who is smart enough to stick by the end of the map. Since there is no fucking way I'm letting her inside right now, maybe I could use her for a short look at the rest of the fortress?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:57 am »

You can look all you want, you just can't say anything that doesn't sound "important"

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2013, 09:10:52 am »

I used ASCII too and didn't notice anything odd.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2013, 10:28:30 am »

I used ASCII too and didn't notice anything odd.

I think changing the tileset removed the trainable wolves tag

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2013, 10:31:08 am »

It didn't, I trained multiple wolves (and ravens) into war animals during my stay.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2013, 11:08:54 am »

Then I don't see what the issue is...

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:31 am »

Recovered Journal of Etur Ibrukdatan, engraver and student of history:
15th of Slate, 16:
I've started leading a journal of my expedition in case of something happens to me. I've been sent by the mountainhomes to inquire into the state of the Mineforest outpost. There have been rumors of goblin sieges. I'm being accompanied by a trader to establish a contact in case there is someone still living there. So far the lack of wildlife as we approach the fortress has been unsettling. Birds are rare and even wolves aren't howling at night. Tomorrow we'll approach the fortress and see why that is.

16th of Slate, 16:
The first sight was troublesome. Ashes and wildlife bones dot the landscape and not a living being in sight. Could the goblins have tamed a dragon or some other fire breathing animal? Whatever happened here must have been recent. I've climbed the hill which the entrance to the fortress is located in. A huge stockpile of bones, mostly goblin and troll, was located here, but must be old since most of the bones are undisturbed. The trader decided to stay behind. I'll head inside tomorrow.

19th of Slate, 16:
The situation is worse then we feared. The entrance to the fortress was webbed in some strange silk. The fact that goblins came to tame and ride dragons and spiders is both puzzling and troubling. After getting through the silk and into the fortress gate, I found myself in broken and empty trap corridor with huge rooms filled with broken mechanisms and abandoned goods bins. There I encountered a dwarf corpse. There was no way to identify how he died since there was no flesh left on him. The most puzzling of it all was the fact that there were almost no goblin corpses, aside from few dotting the entrance to the stairway that must lead to the lower levels. Tomorrow, heading down there.

20th of slate, 16:
I've descended dozens of levels down, bones of goblins and trolls littering the stairway along the path. There was trash littered around more overflowing stockpiles. Why the goblins would leave such a wealth is beyond me. More trash, more bodies. I'll try to reach the graveyard and tombs that should be on the lower levels. Strange, I could swear I heard birds flapping down there. Could be cave swallows.

*a hastly writen entry with no date*
By Armok! What have the fools done!?! As I descended the stairs I found a huge bird sitting in the corner of the room turned to the wall. At first glimpse I thought it was a giant cave swallow. When I looked closely I noticed it had a shell and ribs outside it's body! Thinking I had stumbled upon a forgotten beast, I started to sneak back up... but then it turned around. It opened its enormous eye lids to reveal huge eyes black as night and spoke "you should stay for dinner little dwarf". That was no forgotten beast, it was a demon. The next moment screaming started... I run up the stairs as fast as I could and hid near the old farms. When I rest for a bit I am heading back to the mountainhomes... the Queen must be told. If you find this you must bring it to any representative of the Oracular Corridors government. The fate of the overworld rests at your hands!

It didn't, I trained multiple wolves (and ravens) into war animals during my stay.
Same hear... only noticeable difference is that engraved tiles don't show the objects that are engraved on them. They are just marked as engraved, which is fine by me... the dining halls get messy otherwise.

P.S. I've greatly underestimated the size of that  migrant wave... they kept coming weeks after the engraver. On the bright side (pun intended), an elven caravan came by and left blazing.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:54:31 pm by Bokaza »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16