Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 18864 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2013, 04:51:35 pm »

The thing I'd miss most is the D-Pad. Most of the games I play on my television using steam's "big picture" mode are indie platformers like Spelunky. Though I'm guessing we'll be able to use other USB controllers on a steam box anyway.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2013, 10:29:07 pm »

Uhm, am I the only one that things the placement of those four buttons seems really good? Like, it doesn't seem that hard to move your thumb up left or down left, or up right or down right.

Personally it's marginally better than the "cluster of 4 buttons in the top right of an asymmetrical controller" that Microsoft and Sony can't get off.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2013, 11:37:06 pm »

Overview of the controller from Tommy Refenes, apparantly it's pretty good.
http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2013, 12:52:00 am »

It's interesting to see a controller step away from the dual analog design. I think I'd be hesitant to pick it up before trying it out myself though. I've never ever liked trackpads.

This. Of course with what they say about the super magical force feedback, maybe they've solved the problem of making a sensible trackpad.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2013, 02:59:34 am »

Uhm, am I the only one that things the placement of those four buttons seems really good? Like, it doesn't seem that hard to move your thumb up left or down left, or up right or down right.

Personally it's marginally better than the "cluster of 4 buttons in the top right of an asymmetrical controller" that Microsoft and Sony can't get off.
Hey, Dualshocks are symmetrical. (Also I really like Dualshocks and can't get the hang of the ABXY buttons 360 controllers have )

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2013, 09:11:13 am »

The steam controller might be okay. (And this is from someone who as a rule hates controllers)

I guess it would depend on how expensive it is though.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2013, 01:34:34 pm »

If anyone is curious there is now a gameplay demonstration of the steam controller. It demonstrated Portal 2, Civ 5 and Papers Please. All of which are very mouse heavy and the controller seemed to perform decently well. It still likely to be crippled in most PC games due to the lack of hotkeys which is particularly noticeable in the Civ 5 gameplay where actions are incredibly slow.

Unfortunately they didn't show off a precision platformer like Super Meat Boy or a console aRPG like Dark Souls which is where the performance of the controller I'm the most interested in. I'm still standing by my assessment that the steam controller will perform worse in those genres, which to my knowledge, are the only genres where controllers are objectively better than keyboard and mouse. 

I know that the steam controller is not necessarily trying to be better than other controllers but instead offering an alternative to keyboard and mouse for people who want to PC game on the couch. However I still think there might be some merit in the trackpad design that could offer a lot more precision over a thumbstick. The design of the controller, particularly delegating the XYAB buttons to a much less prominent location, leaves a lot to be desired and seems to lack some utility as a general controller.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:37:34 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2013, 05:31:49 pm »

Some more information about steambox specs.
Ok, so the Steamboxes they're unveiling now are literally just computers with the SteamOS preinstalled. Not exciting, but expected. I'm still curious as to what the other Steamboxes will be, since apparently there are indeed others. The only thing I can think of is a dedicated streaming device in the vein of Apple TV.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2013, 05:36:43 pm »

Ok, so the Steamboxes they're unveiling now are literally just computers with the SteamOS preinstalled.

That's... that's what the Steamboxes are. They are pre-built PCs. With PC stuff in them. Also, SteamOS.
Why did you think they were anything but that?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2013, 05:37:13 pm »

Maybe he thought they were minature steam power plants.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2013, 05:40:05 pm »

Maybe he thought they were building entirely new hardware that every game in your library needs to be converted to run on. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2013, 05:43:25 pm »

They've been talking about different levels of steam boxes, and they're still saying they have more to reveal. They certainly make it sound like they have more up their sleeve than just a second gaming PC you can put in your living room to compliment your other gaming PC you probably already own.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »

If anyone is curious there is now a gameplay demonstration of the steam controller. It demonstrated Portal 2, Civ 5 and Papers Please. All of which are very mouse heavy and the controller seemed to perform decently well. It still likely to be crippled in most PC games due to the lack of hotkeys which is particularly noticeable in the Civ 5 gameplay where actions are incredibly slow.

It didn't look too bad in the fps games but at the same time It really didn't look very smooth, if you watch while he's aiming at the targets it moves stops and moves again. However it looked downright janky playing Civ 5.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2013, 07:27:34 am »

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:31:12 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11