Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Warring Tribes(An adventure with a realistic approach and lucky dice)  (Read 8879 times)

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.

A lot perished on this journey through the ice and snow. In this cold your caravan has made it into a strange land. Many died from cold, hunger and disease. But you all as children made it through the cold. In the months following, the ocean you had crossed grew warmer, cutting off your homeland and any way to really make it back. Though here, you found its native peoples. Magicians, engineers, people who make wonders, technological and magical. Lately as you came into adulthood, the technical group had proved to the magical world, that they were to be just as feared. A powder-based gun. Loads slow, and was hard to maintain. But when practiced against a voluntary magician. They couldn't raise the shield fast enough. It struck them down before they could even conjure the magic.

It was from this event that the village you maintained was drawn into a fight. Many towns, cities, villages claimed their independence. Including yours. The world here, as you saw it, was taken over by war. Anarchy ruled the land. The magical and technological had come to bring war in a sea of fireballs, bullets, war elephants and necromancy. Magic fought magic and gun fought gun. There were no sides. And now you all are forced to act. Will you become adventurers? Will you work for a kingdom to complete its goals? Will you become a mercenary and work for whatever side will pay the most? Will you die and have to rely on your heritage to carry on your traditions? Will you become Lord yourself and aspire to conquer these lands? Will you marry the princess who has been captured and have to go through 8 lands to get her back? The choice is yours to make young ones. You are now adults.

How it all works

You are thrust into a world of war adventurers. The world offers many quests as it changes. To think your only enemies are those around you bearing the weapons of war would be false. Many places house creatures of destruction and titans claiming godhood.

However what you do is up to you. If you want to keep playing however, you will get married and have a child. Or train an apprentice. The benefits to having a child is that your retain your starting strengths and weaknesses as well as being able to teach them whatever you learned over time spent, however it is much harder to protect both your child and wife if you are gone in distant lands. While an apprentice will start with random strengths and weaknesses, you can also train them. You could even do both. There is no limit. However having a child and an apprentice is taxing. Spend too much time training them, and you may end up dead, or they may. You may lose your progress right there as you take immediate control.

This brings us to followers. You can have a maximum party of 4 to yourself. Your followers must either like you, or you could pay for mercenaries or even bandits to come with you. Be careful of the company you keep however. Guilt by association may mean death. They start with their own strengths and weaknesses. You will be aware of what those are when you gain them as a follower. However you can summon temporary followers in combat to give yourself an edge in numbers.

Strengths and weaknesses are skill-based enhancements. They will not offer much. An axe to the face won't save you even if you are an expert marksman. Enchanted Armors, and self training will increase your stats. Self training takes a master to train you how to do things. That costs a pretty gold coin however.

Areas of aiming need to be rolled for. When you attack, you will choose what to assault. The head being the hardest and usually most protected spot. needs at least a 5 to be successful. Arms and Legs require at least a 3 and torso needs a 2 for a strike. You should be careful as they will strike back as well. And if you miss, they may not. Armor here may very well save your life. Though certain weapons can crush armor. Armor and weapons can also break and deteriorate. Make sure to keep them nicely repaired and maintained, unless you have an eye for it you will only be able to tell about how damaged they are.

Remember, damage is realistic. Or what I deem real I suppose(magic and all). Rolls, besides when in combat, are used in actions in which skills are being used. Which brings us to skills.

Strength affects the outcome of physical melee damage. Higher strength can produce devastating results. Train to cut your opponents clean in half!

Sneaking affects sneaking directly. As an action it gives you +1 to your roll

Intelligence affects how many spells you may have. For every 2 Intelligence you gain a spell slot.

Willpower is how long it takes to recharge your spells in combat. Every two points decreases the time. Default cooldown time at 0 skill is 5 combat turns. It'd be pretty neat to cast fireball like a machine gun huh?

Speed is how fast you run (away) and can affect how fast you get to locations. Rome wasn't built in a day, but you can get there in one. Just remember, your only as fast as your slowest friend, unless they aren't your friend anymore, in which case, let them get eaten by that dragon, hell trip them.

Marksman is how far away you can shoot(this is included for spells that are fired). Sit back, relax. Enjoy the show and pick them off. The higher you are in marksman, the more time you get to shoot at them. But hopefully you are skilled in something else if they get in your face... Every two skills in marksman allows you to be back from them (what i refer to as a space) and you can shoot them until they get in your face. Though guns are super slow, yet deadly. Bows and arrows are quick, while crossbows are a little slow but damaging.

Alchemy is the skill to make potions, and poisons. Alchemy is accepted by both magicians and those of the technological worlds. However learning it can cost some pretty coin. You could very well poison the king if you were good enough. This skill is your knowledge in finding out what are the ingredients. Being able to tell what ingredients are and do, is very important.

((If I think of any others I will put them here, feel free to give me ideas if you think I'm missing a skill you could get or have.))

Everything else, you will learn in game.

Starting classes:

Farming peasant- You spent your time on the farms and helping feed the hungry and keeping your village alive. With the occasional bandit raids, they gave you a Wooden Spear and Javelin. It wasn't much and you had to rely more so on them just until the guards came.
No bonuses, nor weaknesses and start with a Wooden Spear and Wooden Javelin

Woodsman- With an axe in your hand, you helped build the people's homes. Fences to keep cattle in. You feel yourself in this village, as a little part of it is what you did.
+1 Strength, -1 Sneak and you start with a Woodsman's Axe and a Leather Vest

Children's Teacher(Choose starting power)-Spending time with the children and getting them to learn the basics and helping them has also helped you to see the world a little better. You even learned some spells from the books that came in from time to time.
+3 Intelligence, -2 Speed, -1 Strength and you start with the knowledge of your choice of these three. Fireball(default), Telekinesis, or Summoned Magic Shield

Hunter-You spent time in the woods, hunting game and helping get some clothes over the naked people. Because naked people scare you.
+1 Marksman, +1 Sneaking, -1 Intelligence, -1 Willpower  You start with a wooden Bow and a quiver with 10 wooden arrows

Local Alchemist-Your days were spent in a semi-burnt down house and ingredients. But by god you did it. Your hair turned pink for a whole 5 minutes!
+1 Alchemy, -1 Strength You start with a portable alchemy set and an empty bottle

And then there are races, because racism always exists(None give you any benefit).
Fair-skinned Humans- Fair skinned with lighter hairs of blonde, light brown and ginger and lighter eyes of blue or green, these humans have been known to try and dominate other cultures in favor of their own. While they don't tend to do this aggressively, they try and manipulate people into their culture. They are viewed as being underhanded and corruptible.

Dark-skinned Humans- Darker skinned from tan to dark browns with brown eyes, these humans have been known in the past to be taking part in rituals that involved summoning demons. Hence how they got their dark features. They are viewed as cultist and dealing with evil

Goblins- Dark Green to Light Green with long pointy ears and fangs. While towns and villages exist, the spread into other's cultures and villages has given them a bad rap about cannibalism. When a goblin dies, in the past, the other goblins would take the dead and eat them. It was viewed in this culture as a sign of respect and taking a part of them with you. Though not all people viewed it this way. They are viewed as cannibals and disgusting

Surface Elves- Fair or Olive skinned with long haired, they are often confused for the fair-skinned humans. However another look reveals a point in their ears and slightly longer faces. They view nature as something to respect, and worship gods inside of trees. Though to everyone else.... They are viewed as Weird and Tree-hugging Hippies.

Cave Elves- Their people are dark skinned but they come in an array of darkened colors. Red, Blue, Purple, Gray and rarely Yellow. They are a people that Live in natural caves and raise societies in them. Eating harvested fungus has changed their people into a multitude of colors. However this spread serious rumors. They are viewed as Evil and Poisonous.

Dwarves- They look like little humans both light and dark skinned. With big... big beards. While most armors need to be refitted to fit them, they are a hardworking people. Though they drink a lot. As if it was their life source. Making mines and using the minerals there to make weapons and armors but the wealth they make goes back to the community as a whole. You are most likely wearing or wielding something Dwarf-made if it is metal. They are viewed as Drunks and Communists

Love-Men/Love-Women- Strange beings altogether. Whomever speaks to them, they change to that species' form. A magical species, this has caused some problems. If talking to a dwarf, they have been known to become armors with little arm and leg stubs coming out of them. No one knows their true form. But there is a way to tell them apart from everyone else. Besides the rapid shape shifting in largely populated areas, they have a third eye on their forehead. Even in the other forms. As when they close this eye, it seems this is their true eye. Making them a cyclops. However they are nothing like the giants that roam these lands. Because of their rapid changes. Many races can't tell what their goals as a species are. They are viewed as manipulative and liars

Char sheet(With example)

Name(forum name): Example(I made one!)
Race(Color, if applicable):
Starting Job/Skills: Pick a job, any job. But only the jobs I gave you.
Goal: This is optional, as it just lets me know what to kill you.... I mean... what to do with you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:26:37 pm by agertor »
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
Re: Warring Tribes(An adventure with a realistic approach and lucky dice)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »

Locations:

Map

Village- Understanding (X:30 Y:21)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beast Knowledge (You must discover them all! Effects they might have will only be discovered once they happen)

Wolf-person
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:57:34 pm by agertor »
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:37:04 pm »

First in, sheet up coming.

Darn it the only sneaky guy is ranged and I'm aiming for a rouge. So he's a close ranged fighter the only ranged he uses is a throwing knife.

Name : Harvey ( Patrick Hunt )
Race : Cave elf, dark blue skin.
Starting Job/Skills: Hunter
Goal: To make killing me damned hard.

(( Does the hunter not start with anything? Like a bow to go with his marksman skills? Not really a good hunter if he has no bow. ))
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:08:40 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:57:56 pm »

Name: D'nath (draco1234)
Race: Cave elf, grey
Starting Job/Skills: Farming peasant
Goal: Make a name for himself, and prove to people that he is not the monster they think he is, despite the fear and loathing most feel for his kind.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:35:45 am by draco1234 »

agertor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »

((Whoops, forgot the archer and alchemists starting gear, my bad, changed. Please verify your characters changes if you would like to switch to them))
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »

(( I'm good to go when you are, how hard is it to learn a skill in this? Also can we choose our starting location? ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:39:39 pm »

Name: Dewboy
Race(Color, if applicable): Cave elf, Dark dark grey (almost black)
Starting Job/Skills: Woodsman (elf)
Goal: Survive, make gold, be selfish.

(I didn't want to be a third hunter, so woodsman I am)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:58:26 pm by dewboy »

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 05:44:52 pm »

Name : Elleanor Baskerville (Kansa)
Race : Love-woman
Starting Job/Skills: Farming Peasant
Goal: Become strong enough so no one will be able to hurt her ever again
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:10:08 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

agertor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:04:47 pm »

((Your more than welcome to use your forum name, however when I say name(forum name) I mean more like Sock-man(Agertor) to keep me not confused. Verify if you want to change your name to something else by just editing it. If you could add your forum name after your name in a () would help as well.))
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 06:07:45 pm »

Ahhh ok. I'll stick to Harvey then. Editing.
Caine's law.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 06:14:25 pm »

PTW
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »

((...Ok, is there anyway to find out the lore behind the races? Skin color = demon influence doesn't jive well with me...or perhaps its your wording.
..Hopefully you've given us freedom to denounce that stereotype in-game, huh.
Also Sex is totally not dirty in that context. :P))

Name(forum name): Tiruin
Race(Color, if applicable): Dark-skinned Human, Tan.
Starting Job/Skills: Children's Teacher; Summon Magic Shield
Goal: Destruction of stereotype; free-thinker.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 07:05:33 pm »

Damnit, Tiruin went with a character type I was gonna go with.

Oh well, falling back on an old fav:

Name: Maximyth (Maxinum McDreich)
Race: Fair-skinned human (brown hair though.)
Starting job: Woodsman.
Goal: To protect the vulnerable and innocent, hopefully making a pretty penny along the way. Sees himself or someone he trusts becoming a lord the best way to achieve his aims.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »

((Indeed, you can find the lore behind the races, their real history, and their viewed history both. As for how I explained, it wasn't actually demon influence and it is common knowledge as to their real reasons. But as people tend to view past these reasons, the same holds true for this world. You are very much welcome to denounce any stereotype, stereotypes are just how you are viewed by other cultures. There are both open minded and closed minded people in this world as well. As for those wondering to why you may be wearing your weapon. Think of it as a sheathed second weapon, this is true for all two handed weapons when you have a throwing or one handed weapon. You may switch between the two, but it will always take time, and duel wielding with a two handed weapon won't be exactly beneficial. You may play how you wish however from this point.))

Tiruin (X:30 Y:21)

Name : Elleanor Baskerville(Kansa) (X:30 Y:21)

Name: Dewboy (X:30 Y:21)

Name(forum name): D'nath(draco1234) (X:30 Y:21)

Name : Harvey ( Patrick Hunt ) (X:30 Y:21)

Name: Maximyth (Maxinum McDreich) (X:30 Y:21)

You are all in the Village named: Understanding
Population is a mixed race of mago-technical origin (63), Two of which are Warriorsmen(Rifle, Short Sword)
Homes here: Tiruin, Elleanor Baskerville(Kansa), Dewboy, Harvey( Patrick Hunt ), D'nath(draco1234)
Shops: General goods
Chief: Kwal Dojun of Clan Dojun(Male Dwarf)
Nation: Clan Dojun

Your mixed village, is a place of understanding. A place of peace. Here many peoples have gathered. And as you became adults you have seen mix races. Some strange but beautiful looking, while others looking as if they were a whole new species. Many of you have your own goals, your own initiative. All of you have a cozy little hut here. Made of wood and stone. The people farm and are merry. There is a small general goods here. However that is it. It is a small village, a little overpopulated at this point with some new refugees from other areas who had spoken of the wars. The elder of the village, a little heated, had told them that they were protected and no nation had come to this village besides the occasional trader on the bumpy dirt road that led to the stream. If you followed the stream, it led to the main road, but your parents had forbade you of going to other areas. Areas they tell you that do not appreciate who you are. Who hate kinds simply because they dont understand. It is your will to do as you please here. Some of you may say goodbye to your parents who are now old. Some of you may say goodbye to the mixed raced children who view you as heroes for doing what you may do.

On a bulletin list jobs!: The people here are looking for someone to do the following tasks.
-To the east in the forest, there is a lone wolf. It is harming and eating the sheep. It needs to be stopped or it could affect what little trade we have. Pay 50 copper for the head of the wolf
-An elderly lady needs to cross the road Pay 0 coin. You are pretty sure this is a prank the kids put up
-Establish a trade route with our neighbors to the north, up the stream. Chief Dojun's handwriting is on this. No pay is marked. However you could be sure there would be maybe some gear the old coot was stashing.

What will you do? You do not have to do any of this. The world is yours to venture into. And do with as you please. But remember anything you do or say. May very well affect the world. Perhaps not the biggest, or even noticeable. Perhaps not even helping. But there could be times where information you have could change something.

Locations
Village- Understanding (X:30 Y:21)
Map
((Black represents a town, village or city, I will list locations and their respective numbers on the graph. Dark green represents forest, light green, fields, usually agricultural. Water is blue. Surprise. There is no 0 on the graph map, it starts at 1,1 and ends at 61, 42, this is assuming i counted right, in which case it could start at 2,2 or something like that. Anywhoozles, the map is what you are aware of. Be free to move in any direction, including diagonals. North is up, South is down East is right, west is left for easy purposes. If necessary, I will move the list to the saved slot I have. Villages can be created and destroyed, same as towns and cities. However the latter would be pretty tough.

For money questions. 100 copper=1 silver
100 silver=1 gold
100 gold= 1 platinum
100 platinum=Royal coin(Royal coin can only be used in the nation it is transferred into)
100 Royal coin=You are really rich. Most likely the richest person alive.))
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:04:41 pm by agertor »
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 08:07:50 pm »

Harvey visits the farms where sheep have gone missing to speak with the farmers.

He asks for information and then asks if any of them would care to join him in taking revenge on the animal thats been causing them so much trouble.
Caine's law.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14