Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 291371 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #555 on: January 11, 2015, 11:16:52 pm »

In a similar vein are things like Dark Matter. So far as we can tell, dark matter doesn't really interact with things; and is observed only by its gravitational pull. It makes up a large majority of the matter in the universe, and is thus largely responsible for the shapes and distribution of galaxies.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:36 pm »

Don't dark matter and normal matter not get along all too well?
As in when they come in contact their whole mass is converted into pure energy or something along those lines?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 11, 2015, 11:23:37 pm »

No, that's antimatter, which is an entirely different thing.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 11, 2015, 11:25:15 pm »

Ah
I always get those two mixed up

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 12, 2015, 12:26:54 am »

In a similar vein are things like Dark Matter. So far as we can tell, dark matter doesn't really interact with things; and is observed only by its gravitational pull. It makes up a large majority of the matter in the universe, and is thus largely responsible for the shapes and distribution of galaxies.

Well, gravitational pull is a way to interact with matter...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2015, 12:37:33 am »

Is there a special name for normals matter? I mean the stuff you me and this phone are made of

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 12, 2015, 12:47:14 am »

Plebeian Vanilla Matter.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2015, 12:49:27 am »

Boy do I feel stupid now

So what would be patrician chocolate matter?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 12, 2015, 12:51:49 am »

The so-called Itdozent matter.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:01 am »

Is there a special name for normals matter? I mean the stuff you me and this phone are made of
There's actually a bunch of stuff; the general thing it all falls under is The Standard Model of particle physics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model

In general, you've got your force-carrying stuff:
The gauge bosons, with gluons being the Strong Nuclear Force which holds together things like protons and neutrons, photons which carry the Electromagnetic Force, Z and W bosons, which carry the Weak Nuclear Force responsible for holding nuclei together. Then there's the Higgs boson, for Gravitational Force. Those are the four known forces of nature; all of which are carried by bosons, differentiated from fermions by an integer Spin number.

Then you've got the other stuff, the fermions; these have several subdivisions, but have a Spin number of 1/2.
The first are the 6 quarks (up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom), which are never found in isolation (there are also 6 anti-quarks, which are mostly the same, but with opposite charge). These combine into Hadrons, in one of two categories: Baryons, as which neutrons and protons are categorized, in which there are three quarks (as well as anti-baryons, which have 3 anti-quarks). Mesons, in which there is one quark and one anti-quark, which have a short lifetime and usually involve high-energy interactions. These are held together by gluons, as it is the strong nuclear force doing this.

The second are the 6 leptons (electron, muon, tau, electron neutrino, muon neutrino, tau neutrino) and their 6 anti-particles (possibly only 3 antiparticles; neutrinos have no charge and so may be their own anti-particle?). Electrons you are of course familiar with, and neutrinos are weakly interacting particles with no charge which generally pass though kilometers of material unimpeded (which is why neutrino detectors are built deep underground -- it blocks out everything else).

So backing up a bit, these can be broken down further into 2 sets of 2 types. For the quarks, these are the up-type (up, charm, top) and down-type (down, strange, bottom). For Leptons, they are charged-type (electron, muon, tau), and neutral-type (electron neutrino, muon neutrino, tau neutrino). All particles within a type have generally the same properties, but different mass, with the higher-mass particles generally decaying rapidly to their lower-mass counterparts. As you may have noticed, these categories each contain 3 elemental particles; these are referred to as Generations. According to wikipedia (from which all this info in gleaned), generation 4 and higher particles have been pretty much ruled out by recent measurements of the Higgs Boson.

And that's just about all there is, outside of quark and gluon 'color' designations (which is just some details about why quarks can only exists in combinations of 3 and 2 in the baryon and mesons, and in no other states). 5 types of force-carriers, 4 types of stuff (subdivided into 3 generations and further into matter/antimatter). So I did sort of lie when I said it was a bunch of stuff, considering those 9 types encompass all known matter, antimatter, and forces within the universe.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:23:40 am by alway »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 12, 2015, 08:21:33 am »

I wonder how much money we put into making the colliders used to find most of those? I wonder if it would have been better spent on something more.... Practical... I guess I just have a hard time being ok with throwing our money into seeing what everything is made of when of could be spent on research for cures to diseases, lessening world hunger, using a hadron collider as a WMD, keeping out environment from going to hell, finding a replacement for fossils fuels, giving those developing nations a push into the modern world, etc etc

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 12, 2015, 08:23:40 am »

I wonder how much money we put into making the colliders used to find most of those? I wonder if it would have been better spent on something more.... Practical... I guess I just have a hard time being ok with throwing our money into seeing what everything is made of when of could be spent on research for cures to diseases, lessening world hunger, using a hadron collider as a WMD, keeping out environment from going to hell, finding a replacement for fossils fuels, giving those developing nations a push into the modern world, etc etc

LOTS and LOTS of money, also, it's not like we're building a new one every month or something.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 12, 2015, 08:31:30 am »

Well, the LHC had a budget of 7.5 billions US dollars. It may seems like a lot, but to pierce the inner secrets of the universe? Totally worth it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 12, 2015, 08:32:02 am »

And you donate all of your excess disposable money to charity?

I could get partially behind you if you replaced 'colliders' with 'military spending'. Thing is, fundamental researcg learns us a lot about how reality operates, which may have unforseen applications somewhere down the line.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 12, 2015, 08:38:22 am »

Or gosh, you now, the entertainment industry. A significant part of it doesn't do anything useful, and has no positive side effects whatsoever.

At least military spending stimulates innovation. (And for scientific investement it's pretty much proven that spin-off projects will result in a significant benefit.)
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 232