Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

5 meters
- 3 (8.8%)
10 meters
- 8 (23.5%)
1 kilometer
- 10 (29.4%)
blackmuffin is homosex
- 13 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Saltmine, The Spartan Succession Game  (Read 10045 times)

Retroblu

• Bay Watcher
  • Nanomachines Son.
    • View Profile
Re: Saltmine, The Spartan Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 03:32:50 pm »

I love the idea of this. perhaps I could be dorfed?, I would love to be an overseer but I am horrible at management.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 04:40:04 pm »

8. sword and spears only
than how will you get wood?
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 05:26:59 pm »

8. sword and spears only
than how will you get wood?

<snicker>.  We'll have to trade, won't we?  Sleep rough for a few months; it'll toughen up our militia.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 08:01:18 pm »

Man if we had a reanimating biome, we could assign war dogs to all soldiers, impale the dogs on spears, and make the dorfs fight the dogs. THE MISERY!!!!!
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 09:26:58 pm »

Man if we had a reanimating biome, we could assign war dogs to all soldiers, impale the dogs on spears, and make the dorfs fight the dogs. THE MISERY!!!!!

It's like I can hear The Master, only distorted and from a distance...

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 04:41:25 pm »

Okay, there's so much that happened this turn I really can't chronicle it all. Instead, I'm going to chronicle none of it (despite my 26 screenshots, which I'll upload to give a general idea of what's going on. Some won't make sense, mind you). I'll let you guys figure it out as you go along.

In any case, here's the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8145

And here are the screenshots:
(warning: long-ass URL)

Have Fun.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:50 pm »

Ok, d/l in progress.  I'll take a look about, and give my first impressions in about an hour or so.

Here's a quick overview of stuff:

Spoiler: the dwarfs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: stocks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: works in progress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: our squads (click to show/hide)

BlackMuffin, how very untidy this place is!  And everyone is living so far apart - what happened to the camaraderie of a tightly-integrated elite fighting force?

Did you mean to flood the 2nd cavern layer with magma like that?  XD

Is there anything in particular you'd like continued in a specific way?  Altenately, is there anything architectural that's sacred to you, and must not be altered or destroyed?

I'll give it an hour or so of mucking about in another fort, for you to respond before I start this one up.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:17:32 pm by WoobMonkey »
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:06 pm »

I think I saw cave dragons, rutherers, something on fire, a magma tube, a tree farm and... lots of space dug out.  Unfortunately I use Pheobus's textures, so I am bad at reading what the walls are actually made of.

But good job on apparently getting started.  Am I correct in assuming we have a new map going?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 08:02:10 pm »

Cave dragon, what and how?

Also dibs on any male migrant who has a pig for a pet. I've got an idea.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:33:05 pm by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retroblu

• Bay Watcher
  • Nanomachines Son.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 08:08:49 pm »

Oh goodness that dwarf description is scarily accurate of me.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:20 pm »

and everyone is living so far apart - what happened to the camaraderie of a tightly integrated fighting force?
You can just destroy all the bedrooms walls and then add a bunch of beds to make a dormitory. Or, better yet, a barracks, where they can all train and sleep.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 10:09:18 pm »

and everyone is living so far apart - what happened to the camaraderie of a tightly integrated fighting force?
You can just destroy all the bedrooms walls and then add a bunch of beds to make a dormitory. Or, better yet, a barracks, where they can all train and sleep.

Yes, I'm aware - unless the last overseer had something particular in mind for the space.  Otherwise, I can think of a few ways to potentially repurpose it.  Busy working on IronFist right now, anyways; I probably won't be giving SaltMine a proper inspection 'til tomorrow.
Cave dragon, what and how?

I wonder, as well.

Also dibs on any male migrant who has a pig for a pet. I've got an idea.

I'll do what I can for ya.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 08:32:33 am »

Is Lord Goomy Black Muffin's dorf?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 02:34:39 pm »

Okay, my turn is finished; here's the update for y'all.

Here's some pictures, in half-assed order:

http://imgur.com/a/lEQPn/all

So, it was a rather uneventful year.  We lost a miner, while I was channelling out the drop pit.  Somehow, while my attention was elsewhere, a snatcher made off with one of our babies - but happiness isn't down, and we had a few births.

We now have exactly 40 male dorfs, split into 4 squads; 2 hammer and 2 axe.  I've also set up a couple uniforms, but we don't yet have the materials to replace clothing yet, so they're 'over clothing' right now.

There was a minor food and beverage crisis toward the end of summer; turns out the main stockpile was set to take from links only.  Derp.  All is well, now.

I've started to claim the way to the river, at the south edge.  We keep getting fisherdorfs; if we need to use them, hopefully we'll be able to have a secure fishing jetty.

I didn't quite get the purpose of having both an airlock and a long, twisty entry corridor, so I dug out a stockpile for tradegoods, and a bridged shortcut to the depot.  We didn't manage to offload all our crafting crap on the dwarf caravan; the pathing was ridonkulous.  Now, once a caravan arrives, we can drop the bridge and move our stuff.  The lever just to the left operates the bridge.

I built us out a hopital, and set up a few beds, tables, and traction benches.  I also but beds, cabinets, and coffers in the main barracks.  There is also a new barracks for my squad, guarding the front airlock.

A few thieves have wandered in; they didn't make off with anything as far as I can tell.

The forges have been set up, and melt orders have been assigned to everything I could find in the stocks menu that didn't seem strictly necessary to the fort.

I was in the process of getting the cisterns filled when spring arrived.  If you have any questions about the pictures, the state of the fort, etc., just ask.

Save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8148
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »

...Am I wounded somehow? I've only ever seen the "received water recently" descriptor after a dwarf is hospitalized, so I am wondering if I had a !Fun! encounter with the undead...

Also, I now have this idea of my dorf being a Bloody Coward. If he avoids his duty, you have my permission to sacrafice him to Zues/Armok/Aries (God of War) and Athena (God of Strategy, Wisdom, etc.).

Edit, misspelled "sacrafice".
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9