Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

5 meters
- 3 (8.8%)
10 meters
- 8 (23.5%)
1 kilometer
- 10 (29.4%)
blackmuffin is homosex
- 13 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Saltmine, The Spartan Succession Game  (Read 10043 times)

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Saltmine, The Spartan Succession Game
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:57:29 pm »

"Hail, Mighty Soldiers of Rimtar Čzum."
It has come upon me, Lord Goomy of the Castle of Hames, to give you this daunting task. I know that we are all that stands between the Goblins of the South and the Elves of the West and the good Humans of the North and East, as well as our fellow dwarves located in the Mountains at the Center of the Continent of the Heart, our glorious homeland. It is up to us, the Bloody Black Murder of The Castle of Hames, to found a fortress at an incredibly strategic position: the southernmost tip of the Spiteful Hill. This region is not for the faint of heart. It contains foul weather phenomena, a common route between Goblin raiding parties and Human villages, as well as the slight possibility for the existence of undead. Any of you soldiers who wish to participate should speak up as soon as possible. You will be accompanied by a few women in order to take care of the domestic needs of our new Fort. May we protect our allies or die trying!

For the Glory of Rimtar Čzum!

For Her Majesty Queen Črith!"

The soldiers chanted in unison as Lord Goomy stepped down from the pedestal. He wiped sweat off of his brow as General Dodók (who is totally not a vampire) eyed him carefully. Her pale flesh was intimidating. Rumors held that she was ninety-seven years old, but she looked like she was still in her forties. A dark past hid itself behind her eyes, and that dark past seemed to bore its way into Goomy's soul.

"I fear not many of them will join you, Goomy," she spoke.

"I know," Goomy replied, not making eye contact, "This region is dangerous, and despite their apparent patriotism they may not join us."

"That's not what I meant," the General sighed, "Your speech was sub-par, and you were visibly afraid for the lives of those soldiers and your own. They will not follow a coward into the Spiteful Hill."

"Maybe not a coward," Goomy looked up, "But they'll follow one who can lead them to glory. And it may take years for us to be able to find a good leader for these men, but we'll succeed one day. I'm certain."

"Then go," Dodók declared, "And may you lead these men to glory, or die trying."

The two saluted each other and parted. Goomy had some recruits to sign in.

Hey everyone!

So I had this idea rolling around my head for a few days now. I originally suggested it in the original Necrochambers thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131081.109

Just as a challenge.

Thing is, that'll probably never happen in that succession game since we die every two years. However, I think this fort will survive.
Hopefully.
Maybe.
Probably not more than four years.

In any case, the general gist of this game is the recreation of Spartan society but in Dwarf Fortress...or at least to some extent. If you wanna go hard and fully simulate these badasses during your reign, feel free and refer to your personal knowledge (and assumptions) or visit my best friend Wikipedia right here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartan_army

Rules are as follows:
  • All able-bodied men will enter military service upon reaching age 16.
  • All men who reach the age of 90-100, based on the overseer's discretion, may retire and no longer be obligated to serve.
  • The soldiers are the uppermost caste of society. Below them are retired soldiers, then working women and children.
  • Women may not serve in the military. In some rare exceptions such as our General Dodók (who is absolutely not a vampire), you may allow a woman to serve if she does not have any children or is unable to conceive any due to being unmarried.
  • It is strictly forbidden to render a squad inactive. An inactive soldier is a lazy soldier at best, and a deserter at worst. Soldiers must train at all times. If they throw tantrums because of this, then it's simply because you did not treat them as a superior member of society like you should be doing.
  • You have four days (nice even number) to acknowledge your turn and exactly one week upon confirmation to complete it. Your turn will last either until your dwarf dies or a minimum of one whole year. You can continue playing past a year, but it's generally recommended that you don't to keep turns rounded out.
  • You must dorf yourself. Your dwarf will be enlisted into the military and will serve as a militia captain or a regular soldier, depending on your personal preference. I won't be in charge of dorfing you unless you want to be dorfed as a reader, which I don't have a problem with arranging.
  • AXES AND HAMMERS ONLY.

Note that this place has pretty much no weapons-grade metals occurring naturally. No shallow metals at all, but some Deep Metals and Very Deep Soil. So be warned: we're pretty much dependent on caravans, assuming they don't get brutalized by the wildlife. So yes, I have placed us in a near-impossible situation. No, I do not expect this to be easy. Yes, I expect this to be Fun.

Let's go.

Turn List:
Pink is Waiting, Red is Skipped, Yellow is Occurring, and Green is passed.
1) BlackMuffin
2) Woobmonkey
3) 4maskwolf
4) KingBacon (dat name tho)
5) Grimmash
6) puutuulion
7) Nidilap
8) ShadowHammer

Dorfed Readers
FireCrazy
Talonis Wolf
Retroblu

For Sparta!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:04:12 pm by BlackMuffin »
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Saltmine, The Spartan Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:12 pm »

In.  One rules question, however: what if the player is a woman?  Must she dorf herself as a dude?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:20:53 pm »

I'll get in on this.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »

Exam's are over tomorrow, so I am free to do this. Will you be modding in linothoraxes and hoplins? (Shield's can be modded in post world gen.)
Also whoever is doing the embarking should bring tin and copper for bronzeworking.

Also, have you thought of editing the raws so that elves use metal weapons and goblins are forced to wear armor?

Edit: The map must also have rock salt.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:56:45 am by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####Ł####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:52:32 am »

Hell yeah!
THIS
IS
SPARTA DWARF FORTRESS!!!

But please do not settle us near the Tower. Because that means a ~50 undeads siege at the end of first year, which is impossible to take down by melee soldiers.

Also, maybe a single squad of hammers/maces to serve as fortress guard? Spears are nearly useless against undeads, and swords cut them in pieces multiplying undead parts.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:47 am »

Awesome idea for a fortress! Dorf me as a reader.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:16:02 am »

"
Rules are as follows:
  • You have four days (nice even number) to acknowledge your turn and exactly seven weeks upon confirmation to complete it. Your turn will last either until your dwarf dies or a minimum of one whole year. You can continue playing past a year, but it's generally recommended that you don't to keep turns rounded out.

I'm not interested in participating, though it sounds rather awesome. But I have read your rules and it states a turn time of 7 weeks. Typo?

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:01 am »

1. I'd say it's an obvious typo.
2. I WANNA JOIN!
error: 'long long long' is too long

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 03:12:08 pm »

Posting to follow...

...and, if allowed, to request a dorfing?

Talonis Wolf, Sworddwarf (with Shield if allowed?? You did say Swords and Spears only...), surprise me with gender(probably male because of rules) and other details.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 03:34:13 pm »

I'm up for a turn and i have a few thoughts:

Former military dwarves may not do much, if they get the legendary <weapons>dwarf tag.  Makes retirement rather pointless.

While i appreciate the theory of only swords and spears, i think there could be an argument that dwarfy dwarves would only use hammers and axes.  This is part personal dwarf lore preference and part self preservation.  Perhaps limit squads to only one weapon type?  That is a sort of compromise.

Seven weeks seems a bit long of a turn length.

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »

I'm in, although I doubt we will survive the 4-5 years to get to my turn.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 05:26:30 pm »

Alright, I'm adding you all in when I can.

I'll probably be starting the embark tomorrow, and I like all of your suggestions, so I'll implement them where I can (and want to). I'm too busy today, but I'll be able to start tomorrow.

In.  One rules question, however: what if the player is a woman?  Must she dorf herself as a dude?
You don't have to, but I still prefer that only males serve in the army. You can be an exception if you like.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:29:08 pm by BlackMuffin »
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 02:00:09 am »

Alright, I'm adding you all in when I can.

I'll probably be starting the embark tomorrow, and I like all of your suggestions, so I'll implement them where I can (and want to). I'm too busy today, but I'll be able to start tomorrow.

You don't have to, but I still prefer that only males serve in the army. You can be an exception if you like.
A female that disguised as a male dwarf. When you're in armor, it's hard to tell.
But whe she gives birth, that's a scandal!
Or maybe no...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:13 am »

It's irrelevant to me, personally - I just wanted that clarified for any potential future victi.... er.... overseers.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 08:10:06 am »

Also, on the weapon thing, I also agree that spears+swords stacks it quite a bit too much against us.  I agree with the axes and hammers only suggestion.

I would also say a shield is mandatory, and any dwarf who drops their shield in combat is to be stripped nude and dropped in an oubliette.  Meaning we also need an oubliette.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9