Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153533 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #690 on: October 09, 2015, 07:55:10 pm »

New Brawl is kindof unique - it takes almost all of the RNG out of the game by guaranteeing you'll always draw an on-curve card if possible.  I'm sure you secretly wanted to play Minibot-Muster-Shredder-Belcher-Challenger-Boom-Tirion mirrors all day.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:00:30 pm by Leafsnail »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 09, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »

Interestingly, it totally ignores ramp. Arcane golem is solid for that reason, and druid wild growths/darnassus aspirants are pretty bad.

With that said, Druid can shieldbearer > loot hoarder > acolyte > communion > nourish > endless big guys and live the dream.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #692 on: October 09, 2015, 10:32:40 pm »

It's weird to see Astral Communion actually being useful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 14, 2015, 11:46:58 pm »

Whew... New brawl. Is. Well. Basically just randomness the game. Pick a class. Then you get random cards and their mana costs are randomized.

It's just. Wayyyyy too random for me to like. But I guess if you got quests or something it's one of those that are good for some wins.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 15, 2015, 08:28:28 am »

Patron Warrior got deleted. All hail Utherclaus.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 15, 2015, 09:25:12 am »

Rip

All my experience thus far with and against secret paladin makes it feel like mech mage power level.  Super powerful when it first came out, but in three months from now we're going to wonder how we ever though it was unbeatable. It just seems to fold pretty hard against anyone who can actually contest it's board control... At least when it doesn't have perfect draws (pretty much nothing much beats a paladin with perfect draws of course), which is pretty rare for it.

So I'm pretty hopeful for the upcoming meta.

Edit: Also it reminds me of mill rogue in the sense that it needs to draw certain cards within a certain timeframe or it flops hard. Although it feels a bit more resilient then that, so I doubt it'll be as bad a deck as that turned out to be.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:35:07 am by Criptfeind »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 15, 2015, 11:22:15 am »

The thing about the Uthertree is that it has a sufficient amount of unfairness mechanics to make it unreasonable, except for the part where Patron Warrior basically made it cry along with all the other aggro decks Patron deleted from the metagame.

Now with no Patron to loom and menace aggro decks, basically the only thing that consistently beats it are the various mage decks, particularly mech mage. And so the cycle of aggro continues.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2015, 12:02:22 pm »

I disagree. It's basically a third rate aggro paladin deck until turn 6, and then mysterious challenger is only like, super super strong if the paladin has board control. Guess what other deck is guarantee to win if it has board control at turn six? That right, pretty much any other aggro deck. It's a step above aggro paladin for sure, since with some lucky card draws it can punch a bit into the late game. And it's a lot stronger vs heavy control decks that don't try to contest the board at all and instead rely on removal and board control. But I feel like it could actually be weaker against mid game decks, which has less of a chance to run over in the early game then just normal aggro paladin and will actually be ready to handle the mysterious challenge when it's issued. And since mid range got wrecked by patron warrior even more then aggro, their reintroduction to the meta I certainly feel could have a tempering effect on secret paladin.

I mean, of course that could all be bollocks, but that's just my experience with them, as a person who primarily plays a midrange style, they've always felt like they give up just a bit too much of the power in their deck to make their turn sixes so good.

Edit: That's not to say it won't be an aggro meta for a little bit at least. Decks like face hunter and mysterious challenger always get the best showing at the start of a new meta when the decks all suck. But in a few months when people are more used to it, I'll just go out and a limb and predict that secretdin has a fall. If not from tier one, at least from a assured first spot (where it looks to be for now at least)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:24:01 pm by Criptfeind »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 15, 2015, 01:48:59 pm »

I think you really underestimate Secret pally's bullshit. It has more individualized degeneracy than any other deck yet. The total sum of unfairness isn't as high as the peak of say, Miracle Rogue, but it's incredibly consistently unfair.
  • Baby undertaker
  • Shielded Minibot
  • Divine Favor
  • Mustard
  • Dr. 6
  • Divine Favor
  • Tirion Fordring
  • Fucking goddamn Divine Favor

The best part is that half the deck's cards suck dicks so you can splash in Fel Reavers if you're laddering and don't need tech cards like Loatheb.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 15, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »

What do you mean? The deck is TOTALLY fair

It just counters all the decks except ones that specifically counters it... perfectly legit.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 15, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »

Secretdin doesn't counter every deck. I don't think there are any matchups where it has more than 65% winrate or so, and mage decks are hardly made to counter it.

But fuck Divine Favor.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 15, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »

Jeewilickaers mister Frostshotgg. All that and only for the low low price of 1/3 of your deck being the worst cards in the game.

It's a strong deck, but not as strong as patron, and it's got bad match ups against a lot of decks that patron wrecked that are now going to come out of the woodwork. And straight up unfairness doesn't really... Work out always. Handlock is way less fair then all the stuff you said for example, and it's not the bestest deck ever. A lot of the stuff doesn't mesh well together ether. Do you dump your hand and divine favor? Well, that's pretty strong. But if you have divine favor with a actual curve that's not very good at all. Or what about if you dump your hand but don't have divine favor? In the end it's really two decks, midrange and aggro, mashed together. At least on your unfairness list. And they don't work well together.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:58:37 pm by Criptfeind »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 15, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »

Agreed. I still think secret pally is going to be huge though, the deck is sort of overpowered. There aren't really enough ways to counter secrets, the only real good one atm is Flare. The other options are marginal or cost too much.

The new Warsong Commander nerf is horrendous. I cannot understand the decision at all, especially when they said we just dont understand how good it is. It's a 2/3 for 3 with "your charge minions have +1 attack". Thats horrific. For some comparison, Raid Leader, another trash card, is a 2/2 for 3 with "your minions have +1 attack". It's debatable better than the new Warsong Commander, despite being a long-since-dead common.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 15, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »

The only reason I can think for it being so bad is that they've decided that A: It needs to still have something to do with charge. and B: Charge needs to be bad from now on so a deck like this can't happen again. Thus, anything to do with charge from now on needs to be awful. Even then this goes a bit far...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 15, 2015, 05:26:52 pm »

Secret Paladin isn't really an unfair deck in any meaningful sense - it just has a bunch of strong on-curve plays like any other midrange deck.  If you aren't familiar with Paladin secrets and how to play around them you will probably struggle a lot, but after you get past that I don't think it's stronger than other top-tier decks like Druid, Hunter and Mage.  Also, y'know, it hasn't dominated the game for 5 months straight in spite of a large expansion being released.
The only reason I can think for it being so bad is that they've decided that A: It needs to still have something to do with charge. and B: Charge needs to be bad from now on so a deck like this can't happen again. Thus, anything to do with charge from now on needs to be awful. Even then this goes a bit far...
The card has never been used for anything other than one-turn kills, and they've already had to nerf it massively once.  In an interview Brode also said it limited what they could do with future cards (eg apparently Dreadsteed was originally intended to be a neutral card in Naxxramas).
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 109